[rec.pets] Pirahana puzzle

rec@edsdrd.UUCP (Michelle) (02/01/88)

I really don't think pirahanas are illegal, and if they
are how can pet stores sell them?  Although the silver
dollar and pirahana look very much the same, does the
silver have the lower protruding jaw with teeth?
As far as my fish being a wimple I don't know, I purchased
a "pirahana book"  along with my fish, I'll check and make
sure what kind it is.

--
Michelle Woods   (mibte!edsdrd!rec)

In article <878@edsdrd.UUCP> rec@edsdrd.UUCP (Michelle) writes:
>I really don't think pirahanas are illegal,

A whole bunch of fish were made illegal in the late seventies,
like pirahana's and walking catfish (Clarias batrachius (sp?)),
and unless they were suddenly, quietly made legal, they
are still illegal in the continental United States.

>and if they
>are how can pet stores sell them?

Simple. Label the crate "silver tetras" You think a customs inspector
can tell a Sarrasalmus from a Metynnis ? Or a Pacu ?

> Although the silver
>dollar and pirahana look very much the same, does the
>silver have the lower protruding jaw with teeth?

Yes, but the teeth arnt razor sgarp. It couls be a young Pacu.

>As far as my fish being a wimple I don't know, I purchased
>a "pirahana book"  along with my fish, I'll check and make
>sure what kind it is.
>

>--
>Michelle Woods   (mibte!edsdrd!rec)

--
             "... Look out momma, 'cause I'm coming home tonight."
                          richard@gryphon.CTS.COM

dalka@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Ken Dalka) (02/03/88)

I was under the impression that pirahana were only illegal
in Florida. The reasoning I heard was that it stays warm enough
in florida so they can live in the wild and you never know when
some fool might dump their unwanted fish in a river.
This could be a potential threat to Human life so they were made illegal.
--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					ihnp4!ihlpg!dalka

rec@edsdrd.UUCP (Michelle) (02/04/88)

I called several reputable pet stores in the area
and they assured that in Michigan pirahanas are
legal, except one store that specialized in fish
said that only the black pirahana is illegal, something
about it being the worst of the pirahana family.
all stores told me that pirahanas are illegal in all
southernmost states there, the water would be warm
enough for them to survive.  All stores mentioned
Calif. and Florida especially, also mentioned was
the fact about them looking like silver dollars.
My fish is about 5-6 inches long, it's a grayish-
silver color with gold flecks all along it's sides,
when calm his the area around his stomach and jaw
is a bright red, and he does have the "razor sharp"
teeth and protruding jaw.  The tank always has feeder
fish and over the 3-4 month time span I have had "Mr. Fish"
I have yet to see him eat.  There is always 1 or 2 less
goldfish in the tank than the night before.  I have
yet to be bit, I have had my hand/arm in the tank, but
I would never, never move quickly or if he had not eaten
for days, or if he was scared in any way , I certainly
don't make a practice of sticking my limbs in his tank,
but I had changed the gravel and I had to fix the under-
gravel filter.  Mr. Fish is actually very pretty, and
I am saddened he devoured his mate.  I bought the pair
because they had been in the store quite some time and
everytime I went in I had to stop and look.
I have noticed that so many posters are from Calif.
I can understand why most think they are illegal.

--
Michelle Woods   (mibte!edsdrd!rec)

rec@edsdrd.UUCP (Michelle) (02/04/88)

 just read my posting, I forgot to type in the rest of
 my statement about most posters being in California
 and also like you said maybe at first they made them
 illegal in all states.  I don't believe my state is
 included in my path,  maybe you assumed I was from
 your state

 I also had a question,  If I lived in California or
 a state where a certain animal is illegal , if you are
 caught what does happen?  A stiff fine?  "Impoundment"
 of your pet? etc.....

--
Michelle Woods   (mibte!edsdrd!rec)

As far as i know, Piranha were made illegal in the entire United States
in the late seventies.

If sombody were to call fish and game and get a definitive ruling,
they could post an authoratative answer.

Ball in your court.

--
            "I'm not going back to Woodstock for a while..."

klotz@aicchi.UUCP (Klotzbach) (02/06/88)

> As far as i know, Piranha were made illegal in the entire United States
> in the late seventies.
>
> If sombody were to call fish and game and get a definitive ruling,
> they could post an authoratative answer.
>
> Ball in your court.

I have followed up on this.

Item 1.

There is no Federal body called "Fish and Game" that appears to be a local
entity in Ca or where ever gryphon is located.

Item 2.

First task try to find something that sounds like "Fish and Game".
I called the local office of "The Dept of the Interior, Us Fish and Wildlife
Services, Division of law enforcement 10600 Higins Road Rosemont, IL",
They said "We have no restrictions on the possession of any species
of Piranha. Call you local department of Conservation to see if there are any
local restrictions". Of course this was not a legal brief, but I think that
would take care of the federal. But again call the IRS for any legal opinion
and you will get several different an contridictory answers, so...

Item 3.

I called the Il Department of Conservation 100 W. Randolf Chicago. They were
rather anoyed, have others been calling as well? Any how they said, "We let
them be sold in Pet stores so of course there legal."

Item 4.

Although I am anoyed that the original poster did not do this le work before
tellin us all that we could not have owned Piranha, I willhave to thank him
for makin me research it. I now know who to talk to with similar questions.

johng@trwind.ind.TRW.COM (John Greene) (02/06/88)

In article <878@edsdrd.UUCP> rec@edsdrd.UUCP (Michelle) writes:
>I really don't think pirahanas are illegal, and if they
>are how can pet stores sell them?  Although the silver
>dollar and pirahana look very much the same, does the
>silver have the lower protruding jaw with teeth?
>As far as my fish being a wimple I don't know, I purchased
>a "pirahana book"  along with my fish, I'll check and make
>sure what kind it is.

It depends on what part of the country you live in.  I am originally from
Michigan and there it was no problem to by Pirahanas because they can not
survive in the local waters.  We had several in college and they got quite
large.

Here in California, as with any southern state, pirahanas are illegal because
some bodies of water may be warm enough to support them if any were to get
loose.

--
John E. Greene    "People are just like frankfurters....You have to decide
                   if you're going to be a hot dog or just another wiener" DLR

In article <1006@aicchi.UUCP> klotz@aicchi.UUCP (Klotzbach) writes:
>> As far as i know, Piranha were made illegal in the entire United States
>> in the late seventies.
>>
>> If sombody were to call fish and game and get a definitive ruling,
>> they could post an authoratative answer.
>>
>> Ball in your court.
>
>*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE ***
>
>First task try to find something that sounds like "Fish and Game".
>I called the local office of "The Dept of the Interior, Us Fish and Wildlife
>Services, Division of law enforcement 10600 Higins Road Rosemont, IL",
>They said "We have no restrictions on the possession of any species
>of Piranha. Call you local department of Conservation to see if there are any
>local restrictions". Of course this was not a legal brief, but I think that
>would take care of the federal. But again call the IRS for any legal opinion
>and you will get several different an contridictory answers, so...

Ok, there are no restrictions on possession on Piranha.

As far as I know (and I could be wrong) Piranha are on "the list"
of animal species that may not be imported into the U.S.

I became awar of this when I lived in Canada, because our local
fish store guy bought his stuff from Buffalo, and could
no longer get Piranha.

>Item 3.
>
>I called the Il Department of Conservation 100 W. Randolf Chicago. They were
>rather anoyed, have others been calling as well? Any how they said, "We let
>them be sold in Pet stores so of course there legal."

Aha. Thats ok. The guy who owns the video store across the road
ASSURED me that I could make a copy of "Dune". It was perfectly
legal he said. He even sold me the blank tape...

>Although I am anoyed that the original poster did not do this le work before
>tellin us all that we could not have owned Piranha, I willhave to thank him
>for makin me research it. I now know who to talk to with similar questions.

Sorry you are annoyed, but I knew you were far more qualified at
handling the government beurocrisy (whatever) than I. Good work
agent 42.

There were a series of areticles in TFH in the 78-81 timeframe that
dealt with new restrictions on importing fish into the use. It
was pretty scary how comprehensive the list was. A lot of
(one would assume) harmless fish were on it along with things
like Piranha and Clarius.  The bill passed, and I never
saw anything hinting that the law was ever changed.

Couple this with the observation that you could no longer
buy Piranha from Buffalo wholesalers and do you think
it's reasonable to assume that Piranha are restricted  ?

Remember also that lungfish are a protected species
and THEY turn up in petshops. BTW, they are also
on "the list".

--
               "It's too dark to put my legs in my munitions"

In article <896@edsdrd.UUCP> rec@edsdrd.UUCP (Michelle) writes:

>I called the Department of natural resources, they got me to fish
>and game, the man  on the phone assured me they were legal in Michigan,
>he did not know about the rest of the U.S. (Dept of Nat. #313-666-
>1500)  As far as the rest of the US they said I'd have to call the
>other branch of their dept.

Ok, one for your side. Now, is it legal to IMPORT them into anywhere in
the US ?

Richard [still under the impression you can't] Sexton