[rec.pets] Anemone

bing@mcnc.org (Carter E. Bing) (03/10/88)

      I recently purchased a Bay Anemone to keep my Bay Clown
Fish company and with this being my first experience with either
I have a few problems that I need help with.
   1. I placed my anemone in a section on the tank that I
      thought was perfect but evidently my clown fish didn't
      think so because he appeared to be pushing the anemone
      into a section of the tank he (the fish) was more pleased
      with. Is this a common practice?
   2. I fed the anemone about 12 hours after I and the Clown
      placed him in the tank. At first he started moving the
      food toward his mouth opening but never seemed to ingest
      it. After about 10:00 it appeared to be taking the food
      in the same manner as a star-fish would. I always thought
      that all anemones "swallowed" thier food. Am I mistaken
      about this?
   3. What is the feeding pattern and best food for an anemone?
   4. I am also interested in buying some live rock. I saw an
      add for a company in Florida that will ship in 24 hours
      30 pounds of rock for about $80.00. Is this a good deal?
      How much would I need for a 30 gal tank? What should I
      be looking for in Live Rock?

 Well tanks for your help,
       Carter
       bing@mcnc.org

dalka@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Ken Dalka) (03/10/88)

>    3. What is the feeding pattern and best food for an anemone?

I have 2 african white anemones and I have been feeding them both
hunks of food and as a filter feeder with liquid. The pet shop
where I bought them recommended this. For the liquid diet I have
been using invertebrete food made by hawaiian marine. For the
"hunk" food I have been using large frozen krill. The pet shop owner
said that sometimes anemones are pickey and what one of the same
species will like, the other won't care for, however, MOST anemonies
will like krill. I would like to find out what other people feed theirs
because I would like to vary the diet. I've heard of using beefheart.
The other day I took some semi-liquid red plankton made by Jungle
and squirted it by the mouths of both anemonies. I suppose they
liked it although I didnt see them wiggle their tentacles at me.
--

					Ken Dalka (Bell Labs)
					ihnp4!ihlpg!dalka

bing@mcnc.org (Carter E. Bing) (03/11/88)

  To other members on the net my apology for posting this here but
I can't seem to be able to reach Ken through e-mail.
           Ken,

            Thanks for the advice. All this is quite new to me and
I need all the information that I can get. Things seem to have settled
down for now and the clown and anemone seem to have accepted each other.
It has really been exciting for we to watch the symbiotic relationship
between thease animals. I found it quite interesting that you have two
anemones in your tank. Do you have clowns in there with them and has it
created any problems for you? I was considering adding another anemone
and a anemone crab to my tank but was concerned adout how the clown and
crab would react to each other. Have you had any experince with crabs?
            I recently purchased a macro-reef system for my tank and I
have really been pleased with it so far. I use a Penn-Plax cannister
filter to power it. It has a Nitrex chamber which really helps out
with the nitrate level. According to the dealer and information that
I have been reading I will no longer hasve to do weekly water changes.
All that is required is that I add fresh water to the tank when the
s.g. rises. I will keep you posted on my progress with this system.
            If you don't mind could you send me a list of what
you have in your tank and what experiences that you have in keeping them.
            It`s nice to be able to exchange information with a fellow
salt fanatic.. :-) I think my co-workers are becoming a little bored
with my constant ranting concerning my tank.

            Well "tanks" agin for the info,

                  Carter E. Bing
                  bing@mcnc.org

joemu@nscpdc.NSC.COM (Joe Mueller) (03/12/88)

In article <5003@ihlpg.ATT.COM>, dalka@ihlpg.ATT.COM (Ken Dalka) writes:
> >    3. What is the feeding pattern and best food for an anemone?
>
> I have 2 african white anemones and I have been feeding them both
> hunks of food and as a filter feeder with liquid.
> The other day I took some semi-liquid red plankton made by Jungle
> and squirted it by the mouths of both anemonies.

Using the liquid is a good idea if you don't overdo it and foul the water.
Squirting the food directly onto the animal is a good idea, you may also want
to turn off any power filters during feeding. There is some invertibrate food
from Energy Savers Incorporated (they build halide lights for aquariums) that
I've heard is also very good. (check out almost any FAMA magazine and you'll
find their ads. Another thing to try is frozen COOKED cocktail shrimp. For
some reason my anenomies prefer cooked (and shelled) to raw. Be careful to
check that the shrimp is not seasoned! Many packagers and grocery stores load
them with stuff that I wouldn't think would be too good for in the tank. You
may want to try some food called "Formula one" and "Formula two". It comes
frozen in cubes. One formula is red in color and is high in protein. The other
is green and high in vegetable matter. Both may help insure you get a variety
of vitamins and minerals to your tankmates.

In addition to food, you will want to make sure your tank has enough light.
Many types of anenomies have algae growing within their tissues. The anenomie
derives nourishment from this algae and from my experience will live for
several months without enough light but will gradually loose its color and
vigor until it finally stops eating and dies. One of the major differences in
the "new" minireef tanks is that it has much more lighting than the garden
variety tank available in most pet stores. Most of these tanks have either
halide lighting or sets of 3 or 4 flouresent lights that run the entire length
of the tank. If you have the "standard" single flouresent or incandesant light,
you will probably need to augment the lighting.