[rec.pets] anemones & feather dusters

bing@mcnc.org (Carter E. Bing) (04/12/88)

     I recently added some plants to my salt tank and found that they
had some unexpected guests come along with them. I found about 5 really
small anemones & one small feather duster worm in my tank. My question
is what should I feed thease guys and how large will they get? I really
don`t plan on keeping the anemones but I would like to get them to grow
large enough to trade for something else. I do plan on keeping the worm.
I think there were also a couple of sea squirts in there with them but
they are so small that I`m really not to sure.
     I also have another anemone question. This past Friday I notice that
my Sea Bey Anemone appeared to be 'withering` which really had me worried.
On Sunday he appeared to be returning what seemed to be normal. I noticed
he appeared to increase and decrease in size. It went from one extreme to
another. Is this normal behavior for anemones?
                       Tanks,
                         Carter                  bing@mcnc.org

In article <2996@alvin.mcnc.org> bing@mcnc.org (Carter E. Bing) writes:

>     I recently added some plants to my salt tank and found that they
>had some unexpected guests come along with them. I found about 5 really
>small anemones & one small feather duster worm in my tank. My question
>is what should I feed thease guys and how large will they get? I really
>don`t plan on keeping the anemones but I would like to get them to grow
>large enough to trade for something else. I do plan on keeping the worm.
>I think there were also a couple of sea squirts in there with them but
>they are so small that I`m really not to sure.

Hell, you didnt do anything to get them, what makes you think you
have to do anything to keep them alive ? :-)

You havnt identified them, so, "how big will they get" is pretty
tricky to answer. But I'll take a wild stab. Are they bascially
transparent, light brown, almost the color of weak tea (with
no milk init) with relativly narrow tentacles that are about the
length of the base ?

Then I have no idea what they are.

Sorry couldn't resist.

I checked all my books, and I was *sure* I had a picture of them someplace
but alas, no.

Anyway, if they are what I think they are, they quite often come into
tanks this way, and are very hardy and undemanding; they get to
be about 4", and seem to reproduce fairly well in home aquaria.

A little tetra min once a week ought to keep them fed.

They will probably take a year or two to become a decent size, but
I'm not sure there is a great market for them; indeed by the time
a few of them are big, you'll probably have hundreds.

The feather duster work eats standard filter-feeder food. Purchase
at local dealer, or again, powdered tetra min.

>     I also have another anemone question. This past Friday I notice that
>my Sea Bey Anemone appeared to be 'withering` which really had me worried.
>On Sunday he appeared to be returning what seemed to be normal. I noticed
>he appeared to increase and decrease in size. It went from one extreme to
>another. Is this normal behavior for anemones?

It can be normal, but if they persist in this state for more than a week
or really start to look like hell, you may indeed have a problem.

How's the water chemistry of the tank they're in ?

   richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                  rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard