[rec.pets] Ick or what

bing@mcnc.org (Carter E. Bing) (05/04/88)

         Greetings,
           I just added a Long Nose Butterfly fish to my salt tank.
It seemed to be doing okay until yesterday. I noticed small white
spots (just three of them so far) on his tail. I started treating
the tank with QuiK Cure. Is this the correct thing to use or should
I try something else?
          I also seem to be having problems finding a healthy clown
fish. I have purchased 3 so far, they all do fine for two weeks
and then they start having a white string-like growth. They rub up
against anything in the tank and then die. Has anyone experienced
this problem and what did you do to solve it?
                         Thanks,
                            Carter

tonque tied and twisted,
     just an earth bound misfit
               i                                                bing@mcnc.org

jason@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Jason Rosenberg) (05/04/88)

In article <3049@alvin.mcnc.org> bing@mcnc.org (Carter E. Bing) writes:

>         Greetings,
>           I just added a Long Nose Butterfly fish to my salt tank.
>It seemed to be doing okay until yesterday. I noticed small white
>spots (just three of them so far) on his tail. I started treating
>the tank with QuiK Cure. Is this the correct thing to use or should
>I try something else?

Sounds to me like you have a case of lymphosystis.  It is a fungus that is
often found on fish recently brought in from the wild.  It is not serious and
really doesn't need treatment.  Lympho usually goes away on its own given good
water conditions.  Consult your books and dealer before just dropping lots 'o
chemicals into your tank.  If it isn't lympho, it could be oodinium, although
not likely.  However, if is a parasite, it can be treated by giving your fish
a freshwater bath.  Simply prepare some ffreshwater in a bucket at the same
temperature as your tank.  Put the fish in there for 3 to 6 minutes.  If it is
a parasite, it will explode due to osmotic pressure.  This is a good way to
find out what it is you have, as well as relieve the fish.  Freshwater baths
must be given in conjunction with antibiotics to your tank.  I am not familiar
with QuiK Cure, what is it, what's in it?

>          I also seem to be having problems finding a healthy clown
>fish. I have purchased 3 so far, they all do fine for two weeks
>and then they start having a white string-like growth. They rub up
>against anything in the tank and then die. Has anyone experienced
>this problem and what did you do to solve it?
>                         Thanks,
>                            Carter

Clown fish are not that hard to take care of.  Sounds like something is either
wrong in your system, or the store where you get them is a faulty source.

Jason Rosenberg                      Mira Hershey Hall
                                     801 Hilgard Avenue
jason@cs.ucla.edu                    Los Angeles, CA  90024
{ihnp4,ucbvax}!ucla-cs!jason         (213) 209-1806

In article <11933@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> jason@lanai.UUCP (Jason Rosenberg) writes:
>In article <3049@alvin.mcnc.org> bing@mcnc.org (Carter E. Bing) writes:
>>
>>         Greetings,
>>           I just added a Long Nose Butterfly fish to my salt tank.
>>It seemed to be doing okay until yesterday. I noticed small white
>>spots (just three of them so far) on his tail. I started treating
>>the tank with QuiK Cure. Is this the correct thing to use or should
>>I try something else?
>
>Sounds to me like you have a case of lymphosystis.  It is a fungus that is

Lymphocystis is a viral disorder which can leave fish prone to secondary
fungal or bacterial infection.

Whatever your fish has, it's serious. Get a book on diseases of marine
fish, FAST!

Basically:

It they are white spots, about the size of pinheads, white, not
changing shape, it sounds like ick or something ick-like.

Treat with copper in a hospital tank.

If it looks like white growths that are increasing in size, it might
be lymphiocystis. I only had it once, on some scats ina brackish tank
and i read there was no known cure and the fish read the same book
because the ungrateful bastards died. If Jason says it can be cured
by real clen water, i assume he's done this or knows somebody who has;
it's got to be worth a try.

Parasites are not usually white spots.

>>          I also seem to be having problems finding a healthy clown
>>fish. I have purchased 3 so far, they all do fine for two weeks
>>and then they start having a white string-like growth. They rub up
>>against anything in the tank and then die. Has anyone experienced
>>this problem and what did you do to solve it?
>>                         Thanks,
>>                            Carter
>>

>Clown fish are not that hard to take care of.  Sounds like something is either
>wrong in your system, or the store where you get them is a faulty source.

Sounds like a fungal infection. Overcrowded ? Are you you putting
new charges in quarentine ?

--
                You've always been the caretaker here.
richard@gryphon.CTS.COM                          rutgers!marque!gryphon!richard