[rec.pets] Cichlids

Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu (Ashwin Ram) (05/11/88)

In article <51837@sun.uucp>, raymond%mesa (Keith Yarwood) writes:
> In article <496@cogen.UUCP>, robert@cogen.UUCP (Robert Kuncio) writes:
> > I have just recently set up a freshwater tank and now that the thing is
> > stabilized, I want to add fish.  Cichlids see to be the ticket.  Anyone
> > have any general information they could pass on to help in my selection
> > and care? (Sorry, I can't get or post to alt.aquaria. You don't know how
> > much I miss it!)  Thanks in advance.
>
>                                             If you like a tank with lots
> of color, activity and more fish go with Africans. If your in to very
> large aggressive fish maybe you would enjoy the South Americans, though
> you will not be able to have as many of them. I am only talking here of
> the Cichlids that I am familiar with, you might also look into the Dwarf
> Cichlids.

Some smaller S. American cichlids are reasonably peaceful, e.g. (barring
individual differences), most Aequidens, all Apistogramma, some Cichlasoma
(e.g., festivum, severum), although pretty much all of them are territorial.
Many also dig up the subtrate and uproot plants when breeding.

-- Ashwin.

ARPA:    Ram-Ashwin@cs.yale.edu
UUCP:    {decvax,ucbvax,harvard,cmcl2,...}!yale!Ram-Ashwin
BITNET:  Ram@yalecs