[rec.pets] Sick birds issue

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (06/03/89)

I have been following the Sick Budgie issue here in rec.birds.
Blake's Birds(tm) send their condolences to the bereaved owner and
cagemate of the poor birdie.

Some advice I would offer to all bird owners whether their birds are
sick or not: GET AN AVIAN VET!  The store where I got Cally the
Precocious Cockatiel (tm) has an animal hospital attached, with two
avian vets.  They have a 24 hour emergency number, so if anything is
wrong, you can call, talk to a vet, and either make arrangements to
take the bird in the next business day, or in an emergency, have the vet
meet you at the store.  As soon as I notice something wrong with one
of my birds (I have three now!), I can be on the phone with my vet.  I
can also take new birds by for a check-up to know that they are
healthy and get good tips on how to improve my care of them.

If you don't have a vet, get ahold of the current issue of Bird Talk.
They have an offer that if you will send them something like a dollar
and a SASE they will give you their updated list of approved Avian
Vets.  Get it, and get a vet.  Sure you might have to pay a lot in vet
bills, but at least your birds might live longer.  Can you really look
your pet in the face and tell them they are not worth a $19 office
visit or a $27 physical?

I'm cross posting this to rec.pets to reemphasize this point that I
also made in a recent posting there.  This has been a service of
Blake's Birds(tm).

	-Mary,
		and Cally the Precocious Cockatiel(tm),
		and Vila the Cudly Conure(tm),

		And introducing Blake, the Beautiful Budgie(tm)!

	 Better known as      Blake's Birds(tm)!

	 Dedicated to the memory of the British SF show Blake's 7, and
	 the liberty and rights of pet birds!

john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) (06/04/89)

In article <748@dinorah.wustl.edu> mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) writes:
> If you don't have a vet, get ahold of the current issue of Bird Talk.
> ...they will give you their updated list of approved Avian vets
Thanks for your condolences.

Does Bird Talk mention Canadian vets?

Is there a book which discusses budgie behavior? I would really like to
know what's going thru their bird-brains. Some of the things they do really
crack me up, but I can't figure out WHAT it is they are trying to achieve.
What immediately comes to mind is the postures/gestures they assume when
they get interested in a mirror. Or grabbing something hanging with their
beaks. Or when they bob their heads up an down. Or wildly flapping their wings
while on the top perch. The list goes on and on. There's no end to the
enjoyment I derive.

mary@dinorah.wustl.edu (Mary E. Leibach) (06/08/89)

john@compugen.UUCP (John Beaudin) writes:

>Does Bird Talk mention Canadian vets?

I don't know off hand.  Maybe you could try your pet store or the
yellow pages if they don't.

>Is there a book which discusses budgie behavior?

There are a lot of books on budgies, but they mostly have keeping,
taming, and breeding, not cute behaviour.  There was an article in
Bird Talk on birdy body language featuring the author's Amazon
parrots, but it doesn't cover all species that well.  Watching your
bird, and see in what circumstances it does what repeatedly is your
best bet.

>What immediately comes to mind is the postures/gestures they assume when
>they get interested in a mirror.

Cally twettles to her mirror friend, Vila attacks or cuddles with his,
and Blake (my new budgie) cuddles and pecks the mirror.  They do think
it is another bird, but I guess reactions depend on the individual
bird and their mood.

>Or grabbing something hanging with their
>beaks.

Just grabbing?  That's no fun.  Now hanging upsidedown from a hanging
toy, that's more like it!

>Or when they bob their heads up an down.

The article in Bird Talk described this as part of an Amazon attack
posture.  However, only Vila out of my birdies does this, and as he
does this toward me, Cally, the window, etc., I interpret this as more
excitement than aggression.

>Or wildly flapping their wings
>while on the top perch.

That is called flying in place.  It is a very good thing for your bird
to do, as he will get some good aerobic wing exercise without flying
all over.  Though letting him out to spread his wings, or at least
giving him a cage he can fly in would be better.  All of my birds are
now in cages that give them some flying room, and all but the new,
untame budgie get to come out of their cages to fly, cuddle, play,
chew up the apartment, etc.

>There's no end to the
>enjoyment I derive.

Yeah.  Happiness is a pretty birdie!