[rec.pets] Cages - Quality at a price?

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (07/25/89)

    As some (all?) of you have realized there is a tremendous markup
    on parrot cages as wellas the parrots themselves.  With the
    recent popularity of magazines devoted to avian research and pet
    ownership, I've wondered if any of the mail order places have
    better rates.  Has anyone any good/bad experiences with ordering
    a cage by mail order?

    Michael

>    As some (all?) of you have realized there is a tremendous markup
>    on parrot cages as wellas the parrots themselves.  With the
>    recent popularity of magazines devoted to avian research and pet
>    ownership, I've wondered if any of the mail order places have
>    better rates.  Has anyone any good/bad experiences with ordering
>    a cage by mail order?

I took a look at the prices of Pet Warehouse (one of the big advertisers in
the bird magazines) and was not impressed. One of the cages I'm lusting
after was more expensive than I could get it locally. Maybe some of the
others are better, but I dunno. My next cockatoo cage is probably an Animal
Environments (I've seen them in action, and I really like them). Not cheap,
but the construction seems to be really worth it.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq@apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

ooblick@intercon.uucp (Mikki Barry) (07/25/89)

In article <6606@cloud9.Stratus.COM>, mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) writes:
> As some (all?) of you have realized there is a tremendous markup
>     on parrot cages as wellas the parrots themselves.  With the
>     recent popularity of magazines devoted to avian research and pet
>     ownership, I've wondered if any of the mail order places have
>     better rates.  Has anyone any good/bad experiences with ordering
>     a cage by mail order?

I've just done extensive research on cages and prices (I needed a new cage
for my baby cockatoo).  "Birds" yearly magazine has an excellent article
on bird cages and possible problems/hassles one may find when ordering by
mail.  These range from missing or defective parts to dangerous sharp edges
and/or lead containing paint that can cause serious damage to your bird.

Unfortunately, all of the top quality cages I have found are sold either
exclusively by mail, or have the same prices from the dealer as they offer
by mail order.  The ones we especially likes were from Animal Environments
(very very nice, but expensive) and from Phoenix Cages.  We bought a Phoenix
cage from our dealer, since the price from mail order was the same and we
wanted to give our local pet store a break.  We found out later that the
shop threw in the grate and food bowls that cost extra from mail order.

There are two "sales" going on this month that people may be interested in.
Tidy Home is offering $85 off its large cages until 7/31.  Also, Phoenix
is offering no freight charges for the month of July.  Given that the cage
we bought weighed 105 pounds, this would have been substantial.  Of course,
the dealer didn't charge freight but did charge sales tax, so it worked out
about the same with the free grate and bowls.

At a local shop they have some of the cages that are offered for cheaper
prices via mail order.  We looked at them and found they were not of very
good quality.  The paint came off easily, the bars rusted easily, and
doors/grates/latches etc. seemed to be coming off.  We have a Bird Depot
cage that cost more than the Phoenix one that is also in similar shape to
the mail order cages.  The Phoenix cage is beautiful and comes in colors
at no additional charge.  We also liked the BAS series of cages, but their
colors were additional.  They're available mail order or from some dealers.

Mikki Barry

--

moitoso%lada@Sun.COM (Bob Moitoso) (07/26/89)

In article <6606@cloud9.Stratus.COM> mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) writes:

>    As some (all?) of you have realized there is a tremendous markup
>    on parrot cages as wellas the parrots themselves.  With the
>    recent popularity of magazines devoted to avian research and pet
>    ownership, I've wondered if any of the mail order places have
>    better rates.  Has anyone any good/bad experiences with ordering
>    a cage by mail order?
>
>    Michael

 For those of you that are in the Bay Area there is a cage maker
 in Gilroy Ca. that makes parrot cages and all other types of cages.
 He has the lodest prices around.  So if you want you can call and
 get prices or go to the showroom and see what he has.  They also
 ship!
	Contact:
		Glick Manf.
		6440 E Chestnut Street
		Gilroy Ca.  95020
		408 276-3890
		owner is Dave Carpenter

They also make all other kinds of cages.
hope that this helps out.
Bob

mm@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Mike Mahler) (07/26/89)

In article <117627@sun.Eng.Sun.COM>, moitoso%lada@Sun.COM (Bob Moitoso) writes:
> 	Contact:
> 		Glick Manf.
> 		6440 E Chestnut Street
> 		Gilroy Ca.  95020
> 		408 276-3890
> 		owner is Dave Carpenter

    Thanks Bob!

    Do you own one from him?

    Michael

moitoso%lada@Sun.COM (Bob Moitoso) (07/27/89)

> For those of you that are in the Bay Area there is a cage maker
> in Gilroy Ca. that makes parrot cages and all other types of cages.
> He has the lodest prices around.  So if you want you can call and
> get prices or go to the showroom and see what he has.  They also
> ship!
>	Contact:
>		Glick Manf.
>		6440 E Chestnut Street
>		Gilroy Ca.  95020
>		408 276-3890
>		owner is Dave Carpenter

 The phone number is wrong on the above...it should be:

		408-842-7542

		Sorry about the first wrong number.
		Bob

stewartw@warpdrive.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (07/28/89)

In article <33434@apple.Apple.COM> chuq@Apple.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) writes:
>>    As some (all?) of you have realized there is a tremendous markup
>>    on parrot cages as wellas the parrots themselves.  With the
>>    recent popularity of magazines devoted to avian research and pet
>>    ownership, I've wondered if any of the mail order places have
>>    better rates.  Has anyone any good/bad experiences with ordering
>>    a cage by mail order?
>
>I took a look at the prices of Pet Warehouse (one of the big advertisers in
>the bird magazines) and was not impressed. One of the cages I'm lusting
>after was more expensive than I could get it locally. Maybe some of the
>others are better, but I dunno. My next cockatoo cage is probably an Animal
>Environments (I've seen them in action, and I really like them). Not cheap,
>but the construction seems to be really worth it.

    Actually the markup on Animal Environments cages isn't that big.
In fact it turns out to be less than the tax and duty to import the
cage into Canada.  However, Animal Environments bumped their prices up
by 20% this year and as far as I can tell didn't improve the actual cage.
If you want the actual markup figures I can dig them up for AE and
a few others.

   I just bought a cage from King's Aviary in New York.  It is nice,
but the joints for the swinging parts are not all that well built so
I wouldn't recommend it for that reason (although that is quite easy
to fix).  It is a 300 lb. Macaw cage.  Shipping was ~$100 US from
New York to Ontario.

   Another nice cage for Cockatoo and Amazons is the TidyHome cage.  It
is a lot less expensive (relatively speaking to AE).  It is less of an
art piece than the AE cages, but it a really well made, functional
cage.

   Around here no one carries cages like that in the store, so you
have to order them from the company or mail order.  My impression
has been to buy them straight from the company is not much more
costly.

  Stewart
--
Stewart Winter                Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830   FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive