[rec.pets] CHIGGERS

mec4n@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Mary ellen J. Carrera) (08/16/89)

Having conquered the flea problem with my cats, I now have a new one -
CHIGGERS! I am living in Virginia, and in the last few weeks, my cats
have started getting bites that turn into hard lumps, which are so
itchy that they are scratching themselves raw, one on the neck and
the other in the armpit. My vet suggested cortisone cream, and I have
been using antibiotic cream as well, as these are open sores. Does
anyone know if flea spray will even work on chiggers (they burrow under
the skin, which causes the bumps). Anyone have any advice on how to
kill/repel these pests? I know exactly how exasperating these bites
are, because I also have some on my legs. They just don't heal!
And strangely enough, noone around here seems to know what would help.
HELP!

chappell@aylmer.uchicago.edu (Chappell) (08/17/89)

In article <3138@virginia.acc.virginia.edu> mec4n@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Mary ellen J. Carrera) writes:
>Having conquered the flea problem with my cats, I now have a new one -
>CHIGGERS! I am living in Virginia, and in the last few weeks, my cats
>the other in the armpit. My vet suggested cortisone cream, and I have
>been using antibiotic cream as well, as these are open sores. Does
>anyone know if flea spray will even work on chiggers (they burrow under
>the skin, which causes the bumps). Anyone have any advice on how to

I hail from Texas, and therefore am an expert in practical parasitology.
In addition to quite a few senior members of Congress, Texas is host to
fleas, ticks, chiggers, mosquitos, lice, scorpions, sundry other venomous
arachnids, fire ants, wasps, and killer bees -  not to mention a fine
assortment of spiny plants.

In general, I find the best and least noxious defense against chiggers
is a physical barrier.  Shirt tucked into jeans and jeans tucked into boots.
Sulfur around the edges of the pants (top and bottom) further helps.  Clad like
this, you're pretty safe.  Elemental sulfur (called flowers of sulfur in
drug stores) is cheap, environmentally safe, nonstaining, and benign to
humans (externally).  On cats, however, ask your vet, seeing as how they
would lick it off.

Tall grass harbors chiggers so mowing might help, although I am
reluctant to suggest habitat instruction.

They do not burrow in immediately.  In humans, washing after an
exposure is a good idea and for cats brushing might work.

As far as treatment, I and various friends consider topical
applications (cortisone, calamine) to be a slight help.  Systemics work
better.  Antihistamines have worked well, with a shot of cortisone
almost a miracle cure for me in one case where I got bitten by several
hundred of the buggers.  A vet would be reluctant to give too many shots,
because the steroid may damage liver & kidneys.

I know of no cure for congressmen.

-Spike.

kauffman-jon@CS.YALE.EDU (Jon Kauffman) (08/17/89)

Please do not refer to these animals as "chiggers."
In polite society, we call them chegroes.

SMILEY!  Don't flame me; I gave up the KKK years ago

Yours because I couldn't help myself,

/jon
Jonathan Kauffman				  kauffman@cs.yale.edu
Yale Computer Science Facility 		{decvax,harvard}!yale!kauffman

cindy@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Cindy Baldwin) (08/17/89)

In article <3138@virginia.acc.virginia.edu> mec4n@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Mary ellen J. Carrera) writes:
>Having conquered the flea problem with my cats, I now have a new one -
>CHIGGERS!

>(they burrow under the skin, which causes the bumps). Anyone have any
>advice on how to kill/repel these pests?
>I also have some on my legs.

>HELP!

Yes, they do burrow under the skin, and I'm not really sure what you can
do for the cats because the only remedy that I am aware of is to paint
over the bumps with clear nail polish and suffocate the little beasts.
HOWEVER, I do not recommend this for the cats, as their skin is far
too sensitive and this could make things worse.

What is causing the awful itch is the chiggers moving around.

I'm not sure what can be used as a repellent.

I wish I could help more.

cyn

hjsdvm@ziebmef.mef.org (Howard J. Scrimgeour) (08/22/89)

In article <4919@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM> cindy@ncrcae.Columbia.NCR.COM (Cindy Baldwin) writes:
>In article <3138@virginia.acc.virginia.edu> mec4n@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Mary ellen J. Carrera) writes:
>>Having conquered the flea problem with my cats, I now have a new one -
>>CHIGGERS!
>
>>(they burrow under the skin, which causes the bumps). Anyone have any
>>advice on how to kill/repel these pests?
>>I also have some on my legs.
>
>>HELP!
>
>Yes, they do burrow under the skin, and I'm not really sure what you can
>do for the cats because the only remedy that I am aware of is to paint
>over the bumps with clear nail polish and suffocate the little beasts.
>HOWEVER, I do not recommend this for the cats, as their skin is far
>too sensitive and this could make things worse.
>
>What is causing the awful itch is the chiggers moving around.
>
>I'm not sure what can be used as a repellent.
>
>I wish I could help more.
>
>cyn

You might ask your veterinarian about some of the systemic insecticides,
such as cythioate. I'm not sure if this is licenced for cats (they're very
sensitive to organophosphates), but it's worth checking on.

| Howard J. Scrimgeour, D.V.M.                                           |
| hjsdvm@ziebmef.uucp       CIS:75126,2744                               |
| uunet!{utgpu!moore,attcan!telly}!ziebmef!hjsdvm                        |
| "We also walk dogs..."                                                 |

map@neoucom.UUCP (Marlene Porter) (08/22/89)

In article <3138@virginia.acc.virginia.edu> mec4n@boole.acc.Virginia.EDU (Mary ellen J. Carrera) writes:
>Having conquered the flea problem with my cats, I now have a new one -
>CHIGGERS! I am living in Virginia, and in the last few weeks, my cats
.
.
.
>the skin, which causes the bumps). Anyone have any advice on how to
>kill/repel these pests? I know exactly how exasperating these bites
>are, because I also have some on my legs. They just don't heal!
>And strangely enough, noone around here seems to know what would help.
>HELP!

    Try putting some nail polish on the spot of the bite.  This will
    cut off the air supply to the chigger and cause it to die.  I
    had trouble with chiggers some years back and this worked
    very well.  You can also buy some type of medication (I think
    it is similar to nail polish) that is made specifically for
    chiggers.  It may take a few days before the problem goes away.

    Marlene Porter
    map@neoucom.UUCP
    Northeastern Ohio Universities College of Medicine
    Rootstown, OH  44272