[rec.pets] Stop this nonsense with rec.aquarium!

oleg@gryphon.COM (Oleg Kiselev) (10/21/89)

In article <2645@hydra.gatech.EDU> gs26@prism.gatech.EDU (Glenn R. Stone) writes:
>Rarely do I post to this group, but....

And when you do, you miss the one that matters.

>Oleg, hush fussing.  The man took the time to take a name survey,
>waited his 14 days (unlike Richard, who saw fit to jump the gun),
>and is posting a perfectly legit request.

Wrong on both - he did not do a name survey and Richard did wait for 2 weeks.
The "name survey" is not a discussion, so the guidelines were definitely
violated.

Besides, his "vote call" seems to have little purpose beyond simple
interference with sci.aquaria vote.  Why not wait for the resolution of
sci.aquaria vote?

>USENET isn't just for elite scientists, it's for all us little
>people, too.  Unless someone wants to moderate (and neither party

Perhaps you have not noticed, but most people reading and posting to SCI
groups on the NET are not "elite scientists" either.

>seems to want that), I have the sneaking suspicion that, regardless
>of name, there will be entirely too much of the "gee, nice rocks"
>kind of thing for "Real Science" to take the group seriously.

First, Sexton offered to moderate SCI.AQUARIA.
Second, ALT.AQUARIA exists now.  If you had spent any time reading that
group, you'd recognize your "sneaking suspicion" as totally baseless and
counter to the established quality of the group.  The change to SCI
hierarchy has one major purpose -- improvement of connectivity and
propagation.  There is no expectation of changes in the group's charcter.

>You don't have to know Latin to have fishies, Oleg.

Really?  Would you care to suggest how I am to name my fish, then?  Only 2
species out of 14 or so species of fish in my tanks have "common" names.  If
you ever want to figure out what those fish are and how to keep/breed them,
you better get used to using their Latin names.  Only 2 out of 12 or so plant
species in those same tanks have common names that are sufficient for
identification.

In aquaria, whether viewed as a hobby or a science, just saying "Apisto" or
"Cory" or "Val" or "Crypt" says practically nothing, much like saying
"computer" says very little about the processor, drives, graphics
capabilities, OS, and applications running on that computer.

>Rec is where a group on pet fishies,

My lovers have pet cats.  I pet those cats and play with them.  THey are
pets.  My friends have dogs.  I pet those dogs and play with them.  They are
pets.  I do not pet my fish and do not play with them.  They are not pets.
(Now, some people think of Oscars, a rare case of a "common" name being able
to uniquely identify the species, Astronotus ocellatus, as pets.  Those
fish are about the size of a medium cat...  I guess you could pet them, if
you feed them often enough or do not value your fingers)

Had you had any shred of interest in aquaria, you'd have understood this.

>Aquarium makes it crystal clear it's about fish, rather than
>something 60's-newageish.

Any cretin who would confuse "aquaria" with "aquarius" will just as easily
confuse "aquarium" with the same.  If anything the former is 2 letters
different and the low order bit error is less likely.

VOTE NO on anything that says pets, or fish or aquarium.  Vote YES on
sci.aquaria.
--
			"No regrets, no apologies"   Ronald Reagan

Oleg Kiselev            ARPA: lcc.oleg@seas.ucla.edu, oleg@gryphon.COM
(213)337-5230           UUCP: [world]!{ucla-se|gryphon}!lcc!oleg