[rec.pets] What is a species?

gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) (02/08/90)

In article  <2285@uwm.edu>  debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest)
writes:

>yes, all dogs are the same species.  but why then aren't wolves in the
>species too, since dogs and wolves can cross-breed?

I don't know from what wild species domestic dogs were derived, but
even if it wasn't wolves dogs might still be able to breed with wolves
and produce viable offspring.  However, those offspring would then be
infertile.  This same kind of mating barrier occurs in the
horse/donkey/mule system.

Some general remarks:

In many cases, including dogs and cats, a large number of breeds or
varieties have been produced via artificial selection from a single
wild species.  In some cases, such as the St. Bernard/Chihuahua
example a mating barrier has been established via artificial
selection.  In a sense this mimics the process of speciation in
natural populations when geographical barriers separate a population
into two sub-populations and then
morphological/physiological/behavioral/other variations develop
between the two sub-populations which eventually render them unable
to successfully interbreed.  However, by domesticating a wild species
via artificial selection the domesticated breeds are effectively
removed from the evolutionary and phylogenetic history of the species
from which they were derived, in my view, and so asking if they are a
new species or if several new species have been created is an
irrelevant question.

Gregg

     "In future you should delete the words crunchy frog and
     replace them with the legend crunchy raw unboned real
     dead frog!!"
                 -- Inspector Bradshaw, The Hygiene Division

J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) (02/08/90)

In article <2495@leah.Albany.Edu> gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) writes:

>In article  <2285@uwm.edu>  debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest)
>writes:
>

>>yes, all dogs are the same species.  but why then aren't wolves in the
>>species too, since dogs and wolves can breed.
I believe that the domestic dog is a *sub-species*.  (Correct me
if I'm wrong).

>I don't know from what wild species domestic dogs were derived, but
>even if it wasn't wolves dogs might still be able to breed with wolves
>and produce viable offspring.
It *was* the wolf.
>However, those offspring would then be
>infertile.  This same kind of mating barrier occurs in the
>horse/donkey/mule system.
I'm not convinced that a dog-wolf cross *would* be infertile.  Do
you have any references?  I saw an ITV documentary regarding Italian
feral dogs interbreeding with wolves, and as I recall, their
concern was that hybrids *were* fertile.  What is the inheritance
hierarchy of the horse and mule (I don't know?).  Is one inherited
from the other, as with wolves and dogs.  If not, then you are not
comparing like with like.

>Some general remarks:
>
>In many cases, including dogs and cats, a large number of breeds or
>varieties have been produced via artificial selection from a single
>wild species.  In some cases, such as the St. Bernard/Chihuahua
>example a mating barrier has been established via artificial
>selection.
I don't buy this.  Both *breeds* belong to the same *species*.
Therefore they carry the same genes, right?  Therefore, in theory
at least, they should be able to breed.  Unless you are meaning
that they *physically* couldn't manage it?  If you do, then that
has nothing to do with genetics/species, does it?

debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest) (02/08/90)

<writes:
<
<>yes, all dogs are the same species.  but why then aren't wolves in the
<>species too, since dogs and wolves can cross-breed?
<
<I don't know from what wild species domestic dogs were derived, but
<even if it wasn't wolves dogs might still be able to breed with wolves
<and produce viable offspring.  However, those offspring would then be
<infertile.

dog/wolf breedings do produce fertile offspring.

gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) (02/09/90)

In article  <1990Feb8.100425.16932@newcastle.ac.uk>
J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) writes:

>In article <2495@leah.Albany.Edu> gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) writes:
>>

>>In article  <2285@uwm.edu>  debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest)
>>writes:
>>

>>>yes, all dogs are the same species.  but why then aren't wolves in the
>>>species too, since dogs and wolves can breed.
>I believe that the domestic dog is a *sub-species*.  (Correct me
>if I'm wrong).
>>

>>I don't know from what wild species domestic dogs were derived, but
>>even if it wasn't wolves dogs might still be able to breed with wolves
       ^^
>>and produce viable offspring.
>It *was* the wolf.

Several people have pointed that out; I simply didn't know.

>>However, those offspring would then be
>>infertile.  This same kind of mating barrier occurs in the
>>horse/donkey/mule system.
>I'm not convinced that a dog-wolf cross *would* be infertile.  Do
>you have any references?

Notice that above I said _if_ dogs were not derived from wolves.
Given that assumption (which proved to be wrong) the fact is that the
rest of my argument then holds.

>>Some general remarks:
>>
>>In many cases, including dogs and cats, a large number of breeds or
>>varieties have been produced via artificial selection from a single
>>wild species.  In some cases, such as the St. Bernard/Chihuahua
>>example a mating barrier has been established via artificial
>>selection.
>I don't buy this.  Both *breeds* belong to the same *species*.
>Therefore they carry the same genes, right?  Therefore, in theory
>at least, they should be able to breed.  Unless you are meaning
>that they *physically* couldn't manage it?  If you do, then that
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

precisely what I meant -- i.e., morphology barrier

>has nothing to do with genetics/species, does it?

Yes.  Species are defined by the presence of some kind of mating
barrier between them.  The definition of mating barriers is somewhat
blurry but usually is agreed to include morphological, behavioral and
physiological differences as well as genetic ones such as different
chromosome number.  It can also mean interbreeding but producing
infertile offspring as described above.  Remember that the concept of
species has been around a lot longer than any of our concepts of
genetics.

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (02/09/90)

In article <1990Feb8.100425.16932@newcastle.ac.uk>, J.M.Spencer@newcastle.ac.uk (J.M. Spencer) writes:
> In article <2495@leah.Albany.Edu> gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) writes:
>>

>>In article  <2285@uwm.edu>  debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest)
>>writes:
>>

>>>yes, all dogs are the same species.  but why then aren't wolves in the
>>>species too, since dogs and wolves can breed.
> I believe that the domestic dog is a *sub-species*.  (Correct me
> if I'm wrong).
>>

>>I don't know from what wild species domestic dogs were derived, but
>>even if it wasn't wolves dogs might still be able to breed with wolves
>>and produce viable offspring.
> It *was* the wolf.
>>However, those offspring would then be
>>infertile.  This same kind of mating barrier occurs in the
>>horse/donkey/mule system.
> I'm not convinced that a dog-wolf cross *would* be infertile.  Do
> you have any references?  I saw an ITV documentary regarding Italian
> feral dogs interbreeding with wolves, and as I recall, their
> concern was that hybrids *were* fertile.  What is the inheritance
> hierarchy of the horse and mule (I don't know?).  Is one inherited
> from the other, as with wolves and dogs.
Just to clarify my earlier posting, I had several wolf/dog crosses.  I started
out with a female that was 3/4 wolf.  She was the product of a wolf who was
mated to his half-wolf daughter.  I subsequently bred her back to her father
once and to her brother once.  The resulting puppies were healthy and strong;
showed the characteristics of the wolf but some of the personality of the dog.
Wolf/dog crosses are NOT infertile.  Both of the Alaskian sled dog breed such
as Siberian Husky and Malamute are heavy with wolf breeding.  However, I do not
recommend the wolf/dog cross for everyone.  They are often very shy/timid
animals and can be extremely dependent on their master.  My female would not
eat unless I fed her.  She would tolerate my husband but her world revolved
around me.  I took her for obedience training to help with the shyness and the
instructor was strongly impressed by her personality and charm.  Wolf Lady
would sit quietly watching all the other dogs in the class misbehaving, with a
dignified duchess watching the peons attitude.  Was very funny to watch her!

Sue Bishop
SBISHOP@desire.wright.edu

bjb@ncrorl.Orlando.NCR.COM (Barbara Bowen) (02/09/90)

In article <2495@leah.Albany.Edu> gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) writes:

>even if it wasn't wolves dogs might still be able to breed with wolves
>and produce viable offspring.  However, those offspring would then be
>infertile.  This same kind of mating barrier occurs in the
 ^^^^^^^^^ This is entirely wrong.  Wolf hybrids (with most often husky
 or german shepard) exist with varying concentrations of "wolf", which
 means that the offspring are FERTILE!!!  Friends of mine currently breed
 hybrids (intentionally) - the bitch is 50% timber wolf, 50% husky; the
 male is 75% wolf, 25% shepard - the pups/cubs are able to reproduce as
 well.
>morphological/physiological/behavioral/other variations develop
>between the two sub-populations which eventually render them unable
>to successfully interbreed.  However, by domesticating a wild species
 Further research in your excellent library is necessary.  (MURDOCK -
 WHERE ARE YOU???)  More information is available via:

The Wolf Hybrid Times
Subscription Dept.
P.O. Box 1423
Gallup, NM 87305

Subscription is 18.00 Dollars per year. The magazine is published
once every 2 months.

EMAIL:  barbara.bowen@Orlando.NCR.COM   (...ncrlnk!ncrorl!bjb)

collier@ariel.unm.edu (uncia uncia) (02/09/90)

In article <2495@leah.Albany.Edu> gmr044@leah.Albany.Edu (Gregg Recer) writes:

>>In article  <2285@uwm.edu>  debbie@csd4.csd.uwm.edu (Debbie Forest)
>>writes:
>>
>>However, those offspring would then be
>>infertile.  This same kind of mating barrier occurs in the
>>horse/donkey/mule system.
>I'm not convinced that a dog-wolf cross *would* be infertile.  Do
>you have any references?

1) i heard on the news the other day that even the horse/donkey/mule system
isn't as closed as has been assumed for centuries. a jenny became pregnant
somehow and successfully foaled. i don't know any more than that.

2) wolves and dogs can interbreed, and their offspring are fertile. this
is well documented in a variety of general references on the wolf, and
i have observed it directly myself. case in point: my 50% wolf, 50%
malamute female escaped during her second heat and brought home a
litter of puppies.  this is bad, because wolf hybrids are *very* hard
to place safely. fortunately the puppies were only 25% wolf, which is
about the highest proportion one can keep without requiring a huge
extra effort on the part of the owner. anyway, she, at least, proved
herself fertile.
--
Michael Collier		University of New Mexico Computing Center
collier@ariel.unm.edu	2701 Campus Blvd.

			(Home:	1160 Don Pasqual NW
				Los Lunas, NM 87031)

...!cmcl2!beta!unm-la!unmvax!charon!collier