[rec.pets] Fleas Transmit Tapeworms ???

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/19/90)

In today's San Jose Mercury-News (7/18), an article about fleas
mentions they can transmit tapeworms.  Is that really true?  I thought
tapeworms were transmitted by contact with fecal material.  I think
they're confusing tapeworms with some other kind of worm (heartworms?).

laura@manta.uucp (Laura Toms) (07/19/90)

In article <31860@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>In today's San Jose Mercury-News (7/18), an article about fleas
>mentions they can transmit tapeworms.  Is that really true?  I thought
>tapeworms were transmitted by contact with fecal material.  I think
>they're confusing tapeworms with some other kind of worm (heartworms?).

Yes, it's true.  From the _Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook_:

    "Dogs can acquire several different kinds of tapeworm.  One is due
    to eating uncooked meat or discarded animal parts.  Another is
    acquired by eating raw fresh fist.  Commonly, the disease is
    transmitted by the flea.  The dog must bite or swallow the flea
    which harbors the immature tapeworms in its intestine.  Fleas
    acquire the parasite by eating tapeworm eggs."

Heatworm is transmitted by mosquitos; other types of worms can be
transmitted through contact with fecal matter.
= Laura Toms, laura@manta.MorningStar.com                  (614) 766-6287 =
= 5151 Brand Road, Dublin, Ohio 43017                   Moraine Labradors =

sbaker@potomac.ads.com (Sharon Baker) (07/19/90)

--

Sharon Baker			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!sbaker
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  sbaker@potomac.ads.com

mm@lectroid.sw.stratus.com (Mike Mahler) (07/19/90)

In article <1990Jul19.095851.25926@manta.uucp>, laura@manta.uucp (Laura Toms) writes:
> Yes, it's true.  From the _Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook_:
>
>     "Dogs can acquire several different kinds of tapeworm.  One is due
>     to eating uncooked meat or discarded animal parts.  Another is
>     acquired by eating raw fresh fist...
				   ^^^^

	Down Boy, DOWN!  Leave him his other hand!  Down BOY!

king@cbnewsk.att.com (joyce.l.king) (07/20/90)

In article <31860@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> In today's San Jose Mercury-News (7/18), an article about fleas
> mentions they can transmit tapeworms.  Is that really true?  I thought
> tapeworms were transmitted by contact with fecal material.  I think
> they're confusing tapeworms with some other kind of worm (heartworms?).

The article is true.  Dogs and cats get tapeworm from eating animals
(fleas, rabbits, squirrels, etc.) that have tapeworm.  The don't
get tapeworm from being bitten, or from having fleas on them...only by
ingesting them, which they do when they scratch themselves with their
mouths.

Heartworm is spread by a mosquito that has previously bitten a heartworm-
infested animal.

Most other worm parasites are transmitted by contact with fecal material.
Remember, most worm parasites are species specific, so you cannot complete
the life cycle of your dog's worms, and he can't complete the life cycle
of your horse's worms.  In some cases, you can give each other parasites
in some other form...like hook worm from your dog can get into YOUR foot,
but instead of completing its life cycle it will wonder around aimlessly
in your legs, not a pleasant experience.

This is a gross oversimplification of parasitology, but is probably all
that is necessary in this follow-up.  If the rest of you netters want to
pick up the banner and go from here, best wishes....

--
                       Joyce Andrews King

mel@iies.ecn.purdue.edu (Meloney D Cregor) (07/20/90)

In article <31860@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>In today's San Jose Mercury-News (7/18), an article about fleas
>mentions they can transmit tapeworms.  Is that really true?  I thought
>tapeworms were transmitted by contact with fecal material.  I think
>they're confusing tapeworms with some other kind of worm (heartworms?).

No. They are correct. The intermediate host for tapeworms is fleas and
the intermediate host for heartworms is mosquitos. Tapeworms can also be
picked up by eating rodents infested with the varmits. Heartworms have
nothing to do with feces. Round worms, hook worms, coccidia, ect. are
passed in the feces.
--
			mel@iies.ecn.purdue.edu
	Did you ever get the feeling that you've lived before...

laura@manta.uucp (Laura Toms) (07/20/90)

In article <1990Jul19.095851.25926@manta.uucp> laura@manta.MorningStar.Com (Laura Toms) writes:
>From the _Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook_:
>
>    "Dogs can acquire several different kinds of tapeworm.  One is due
>    to eating uncooked meat or discarded animal parts.  Another is
>    acquired by eating raw fresh fist.  Commonly, the disease is
                                  ^^^^ Correction: fish

>    transmitted by the flea.  The dog must bite or swallow the flea
>    which harbors the immature tapeworms in its intestine.  Fleas
>    acquire the parasite by eating tapeworm eggs."

I got email about my humorous typo.  Sorry!  Even the spelling checker
won't catch that one...

motif@unify.uucp (motif user) (07/20/90)

In article <31860@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:

>   From: mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson)
>   Newsgroups: sci.bio,rec.pets
>   Date: 18 Jul 90 19:49:34 GMT
>
>   In today's San Jose Mercury-News (7/18), an article about fleas
>   mentions they can transmit tapeworms.  Is that really true?  I thought
>   tapeworms were transmitted by contact with fecal material.  I think
>   they're confusing tapeworms with some other kind of worm (heartworms?).

Yes, fleas can transmit tapeworms.
--

-Greg Pasquariello	grp@unify.com

megm@sco.COM (Meg Roberts) (07/21/90)

In article <31860@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>In today's San Jose Mercury-News (7/18), an article about fleas
>mentions they can transmit tapeworms.  Is that really true?  I thought
>tapeworms were transmitted by contact with fecal material.  I think
>they're confusing tapeworms with some other kind of worm (heartworms?).

i believe EATING a flea transmits tapeworms to a dog, not being bitten
by the flea.  but yes, tapeworms are indeed transmitted by fleas.

tronix@polari.UUCP (David Daniel) (07/21/90)

In article <31860@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>In today's San Jose Mercury-News (7/18), an article about fleas
>mentions they can transmit tapeworms.  Is that really true?  I thought
>tapeworms were transmitted by contact with fecal material.  I think
>they're confusing tapeworms with some other kind of worm (heartworms?).

From postnews Fri Jul 20 14:48:51 1990

Newsgroups: sci.bio,rec.pets
Subject: Re: Fleas Transmit Tapeworms ???
Followup-To:poster
In article <31860@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
>In today's San Jose Mercury-News (7/18), an article about fleas
>mentions they can transmit tapeworms.  Is that really true?  I thought
>tapeworms were transmitted by contact with fecal material.  I think
>they're confusing tapeworms with some other kind of worm (heartworms?).

There are two types of tapeworm that can live in domestic animals (and humans).
One is indeed transferred by fleas who act an an intermediate host to the
larva. When an animal (or human) swallows such a flea the larva make their
home in the alimentary canal.

The second type is carried by rodents who act as intermediate host. Cats who
eat infected mice/rats can get this type of tapeworm.

Roundworms are the ones passed thru fecal matter. The adults release eggs that
are passed thru feces. These eggs can stay fertile for years and hatch in the
mucous membranes of the host.

Heartworm is passed by a mosquito that lives in the hot, humid areas of the
US. Dogs are the most common victims, but I've read that cats can get them too.

Moral: If your pets have fleas then it's 99.9% probable that they have tapeworm.
If you control fleas you also control the first (and most common) type of
tapeworm.

--
David Daniel (The man with no disclaimer)  tronix@polari.wa.com

"When I drive a cab I am moved by strange whistles and wear a hat."  Lew Welch