[rec.pets] Indoor, Canary with asthma

sbishop@desire.wright.edu (03/07/91)

I have a canary hen that suffers from asthma.  (Something the bird and I have
in common!)  Is this a permanent condition with birds, i.e., once they get it
they always have it?  Also, is this bird still breedable?  She is a red factor
and I would like to get some babies from her.  I have been doing obvious things
for her like keeping the cage as clean and dust free as possible but are there
any medications I should try?  None of the vets around here have a clue what to
do with birds....

stewartw@cognos.UUCP (Stewart Winter) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar6.190428.2757@desire.wright.edu> sbishop@desire.wright.edu writes:
>I have a canary hen that suffers from asthma.  (Something the bird and I have
>in common!)  Is this a permanent condition with birds, i.e., once they get it
>they always have it?  Also, is this bird still breedable?  She is a red factor
>and I would like to get some babies from her.  I have been doing obvious things
>for her like keeping the cage as clean and dust free as possible but are there
>any medications I should try?  None of the vets around here have a clue what to
>do with birds....

   I guess I would be inclined to find out what causes the breathing
difficulties.  Is she reacting to: pollens (a seasonal problem), dust
in the air (from other birds - cockatoos often a cause of breathing
problems in other birds), cigarette smoke, kitchen cooking fumes, etc.
Birds do have remarkable sensitive respritory systems which could be
affected by something which really doesn't bother you.

If she is reacting seasonally (ie pollens or some such thing), I think
you might be better off not breeding her.  Otherwise, I don't see any
reason not too.

  Stewart

--
Stewart Winter               Cognos Incorporated   S-mail: P.O. Box 9707
VOICE: (613) 738-1338 x3830  FAX: (613) 738-0002           3755 Riverside Drive