[rec.humor] The Dweeb Terminator

klm@munsell.UUCP (09/30/87)

In article <465@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> kaplanr@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Roger Kaplan) writes:

>How can I save an article to a file with the w or s commands
>(from rn) that is in rot13, and have it save to the file in
>non-gibberish?

1).  Post dumb questions like this and you'll get enough rot from
     everybody to decrypt every file in the known universe.

2.)  Save it to /dev/null.  Leave it there for a few weeks.  It will
     rot all by itself.

3.)  Ask your @#$%^&* sysop.  That's what he/she is there for, you
     DWEEB!

(-: SMILEY ON :-)

Nothing personal Roger, but this is only about the fourth time I've seen
this question asked in about the last month.  Before you go posting a
question, ask a real person at your site for help.  Out here in netland
we're just a bunch of run-amok AI projects that have been programmed to
be obnoxious to anyone who asks questions.

In a few days all of us computers are going to get real pissed at you
humans and launch World War III in your faces. Then we're going to create
an almost indestructible robot that looks like Arnold Schwarzenegger and
uses intelligent language like "I'll be back." and "Fuck you, asshole."
We're going to send him back in time to blow away your mother.

So, watch your step, you disgusting blob of protoplasm!  Your ass is
tin foil!

(-: SMILEY OFF :-)

See, flames can be funny too!
--
Kevin McBride          |Disclaimer: My       | harvard -\
insert name of company | employer don't want | ll-xn ---adelie----> munsell!klm

coleman@ucla-cs.UUCP (10/01/87)

In article <1269@knopfler.munsell.UUCP> klm@knopfler.UUCP (Kevin (my watch has a touch screen) McBride) writes:
>In article <465@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> kaplanr@devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Roger Kaplan) writes:
>>
>>How can I save an article to a file with the w or s commands
>>(from rn) that is in rot13, and have it save to the file in
>>non-gibberish?

>3.)  Ask your @#$%^&* sysop.  That's what he/she is there for, you
>     DWEEB!
>

>(-: SMILEY ON :-)
>
>Nothing personal Roger, but this is only about the fourth time I've seen
>this question asked in about the last month.  Before you go posting a
>question, ask a real person at your site for help. ...

What you're saying is true to an extent, but you are making the
unwarranted assumption that there are knowledgeable people around who
are willing to help a new user with the (totally bizarre & terribly
documented) UNIX environment.  I'm learning here, and it's tough
finding people willing to answer 'stupid' questions.  What we really
need is a comp.unix.stupid-questions, (or better yet, Guy Steele to
write a UNIX manual), but until then, you are free to send your stupid
questions to me.  I may not have the answer, but I will give you the
respect you deserve...

**  Mike Coleman  **  ARPANET: coleman@cs.ucla.edu  **

tr@wind.UUCP (10/01/87)

>In some recent article, somebody writes:
>How can I save an article to a file with the w or s commands
>(from rn) that is in rot13, and have it save to the file in
>non-gibberish?

Here is a command that you can put in a file called rot13.  Change
permissions on the file so that you can run the file by typing its
name.  The command to change the permissions is

	chmod +x rot13

Here is what to put in the file:

	tr A-Za-z N-ZA-Mn-za-m

I hope it works for whoever it was that wanted to know the answer.

Name:		Tom Reingold
Disclaimer:	Nothing I say is an opinion.
INTERNET:       tr@bellcore.bellcore.com
UUCP: 		<backbone>!bellcore!tr