[rec.games.frp] What to call a female wizard?

nga@root.co.uk (Nick Armitage) (04/30/87)

oh gee, what a response! my mailbox has been snowed under and i have
been complimented on/accused of creating more net traffic than someone
who professes VMS to be superior to UN*X!

when i asked what to call a female wizard, it was an innocent question
from someone who is not into d&d. anyone who knows me would know that
it was not a sexist question - if anything the reverse. i was interested
in attributing female wizards their correct title - nothing else.

for instance, it is quite common over here to call a female chairperson
a chairman - now i think that is wrong. so to call a female wizard a
wizard, if gender was implied by the term, would also be wrong.

now that i know that a female wizard is called a wizard, i will do so -
safe in the knowledge that i am not insulting or degrading anyone.

thank you all for your replies. those people who were not so kind,
i can understand, but no insult was intended - really!

nick
_

alg@btnix.axion.bt.co.uk (Andy Gray @ Btnix) (05/06/87)

If there has to be a female equivalent for the Wizard, which seems to be
somewhat unnecessary, then how about "Wizardrice" for my tuppence worth.

			      Andy Gray

E-Mail (UUCP)	alg@btnix.UUCP AGray@btnix.axion.bt.co.uk ...!ukc!btnix!alg
Organisation	British Telecom Research Laboratories (R11.3.4)
Snail Mail	BTRL, Rm G24 SSTF, Martlesham Heath, IPSWICH IP5 7RE, UK
Telephone	+44 473 646647 (or +44 473 646093)
--
E-Mail (UUCP)	alg@btnix.UUCP AGray@btnix.axion.bt.co.uk ...!ukc!btnix!alg
Organisation	British Telecom Research Laboratories (R11.3.4)
Snail Mail	BTRL, Rm G24 SSTF, Martlesham Heath, IPSWICH IP5 7RE, UK
Telephone	+44 473 646647 (or +44 473 646093)

agranok@udenva.UUCP (05/08/87)

Are you looking for an actual name for a female wizard or for the generic
term for a female wizard?  If you're looking for the latter (which I assume
you are since anyone can think of a name for the former), how about a...

                                SORCERESS

Now, I don't want to hear from those title buffs that say, "But a wizard and
a sorcerer are two different things!"  Only in D&D, which decided to use
titles so that people could call their characters something other than
"seventh level magic-user."  In my book, mage, sorcerer, wizard, warlock are
all really just different names for the same thing.  Who cares if someone
calls their first level character a sorcerer?  "No, you're not a sorcerer,
you're a prestidigitator!"  C'mon, give me a break.
--

Alex Granok
hao!udenva!agranok

"A slow sort of country!"  said the Queen.  "Now, here, you see, it takes
 all the running you can do, to keep in the same place.  If you want to get
 somewhere else, you must run at least twice as fast as that!"

biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) (05/11/87)

In article <3601@udenva.UUCP> agranok@udenva.UUCP (Alexander Granok) writes:
>Are you looking for (...) the generic
>term for a female wizard?

What's wrong with witch? I've always understood that was the normal feminine
of wizard. But then I'm not a native speaker of English, nor of American, so..
--
						Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)
	The Enemies of my Enemies are my Enemies

rancke@diku.UUCP (05/11/87)

Anything she likes! :-)

   Hans Rancke, University of Copenhagen
          ..mcvax!diku!rancke

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- I hate it when people call me paranoid.
  It makes me feel persecuted.

benn@sphinx.UUCP (05/12/87)

>>Are you looking for (...) the generic
>>term for a female wizard?

>What's wrong with witch? I've always understood that was the normal feminine
>of wizard.
>					Biep.  (biep@cs.vu.nl via mcvax)

 MALE		FEMALE
 ----		------
warlock		witch

wizard		?????<-i

		       | I suggest 'wizard' for both male and female.
But then, I don't mind using 'witch' for both male and female.  So...
if you need or want separate names, how about 'sybil'?  [From the
Greek, meaning a female prophet, or prophetess if you will.]  Or
the standard 'enchantress', or 'sorceress'.  If 'lamia' weren't
already a monter, it would be a good word.

By the way, 'warlock' is a term from the Inquisition.  Before that,
male witches were called witches.

--
-= Thomas Cox =-
...ihnp4!{ oddjob || gargoyle }!sphinx!benn

vince@hi.UUCP (05/12/87)

     How about "ma'am?"

                                         Phred Platypus

--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Vincent J. Murphy                                 hi!vince@hc.dspo.gov

mlr@houtz.UUCP (05/12/87)

There has been discussion about this for over two weeks now. How
bout ending it by just using the female wizards NAME!!!!!

ccastkv@gitpyr.gatech.EDU (Keith 'Badger' Vaglienti) (05/12/87)

In article <3601@udenva.UUCP> agranok@udenva.UUCP (Alexander Granok) writes:
>Are you looking for an actual name for a female wizard or for the generic
>term for a female wizard?  If you're looking for the latter (which I assume
>you are since anyone can think of a name for the former), how about a...
>
>                                SORCERESS
>
>Now, I don't want to hear from those title buffs that say, "But a wizard and
>a sorcerer are two different things!"  Only in D&D, which decided to use
>titles so that people could call their characters something other than
>"seventh level magic-user."  In my book, mage, sorcerer, wizard, warlock are
>all really just different names for the same thing.  Who cares if someone
>calls their first level character a sorcerer?  "No, you're not a sorcerer,
>you're a prestidigitator!"  C'mon, give me a break.

This sort of thing is very campaign dependent. I am running an FH campaign
in which there are distinct differences between mages, sorcerers, wizards,
thaumaturgists, etc. Their magics tend to be based on different principles
and may use very different methods to achieve the same goal. For example;

Mages are the generalists of my world. They are interested primarily in
collecting knowledge. They are the most flexible because they are quite
willing to use any sort of magic they can learn. This can be dangerous, though,
if the Mage attempts to use a new kind of spell without having enough general
knowledge of that form of magic to know what precautions to take in spell
casting.

Sorcers draw magical energy from available sources around them, usually by
tapping into the elements themselves. They operate much as a magnifying class
does when used to start a fire. Given the tiniest ember a sorcerer could easily
create a raging bonfire but without a heat source he couldn't do anything
of the sort.

Wizards draw magical energy from within themselves. This makes them more
flexible than a sorcerer, as they do not have to rely on components, but their
magic is more tiring.

Something else that occurs in my world is that there are schools of magic
which pride themselves on the kinds of magicians they turn out. Around one of
these it can be very hazardous to call yourself something you're not as a
person from the school might challenge you to see how your magic compares to
that taught at the school.

---
"What's real estate got to do with sex, Dad?"
"Everything, son, why do you ask?"
---
Keith "Badger" Vaglienti
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!ccastkv

In no way should my remarks be considered to reflect the opinions and/or
policies of the Georgia Institute of Technology. Put another way, its-a
not my bosses-ah fault, monkey boy!

rancke@diku.UUCP (05/13/87)

(You call her "Ma'am"!)

In article <741@klipper.cs.vu.nl> biep@cs.vu.nl (J. A. "Biep" Durieux) writes:
>In article <3601@udenva.UUCP> agranok@udenva.UUCP (Alexander Granok) writes:
>>Are you looking for (...) the generic
>>term for a female wizard?

>What's wrong with witch? I've always understood that was the normal feminine
>of wizard.

I think a witch is a female warlock (or rather the other way round).
I've never heard of a special word for a female wizard, but how about
"wizardess". Unoriginal perhaps, but they do call a female steward
a stewardess.

   Hans Rancke, University of Copenhagen
          ..mcvax!diku!rancke

--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

- I hate it when people call me paranoid.
  It makes me feel persecuted.

rmr@chefchu.SGI.COM (Robert Reimann) (05/13/87)

It amazes me that a question like this can spur so much discussion.

What do you call a female wizard?  What do you call
a MALE wizard?  What IS a wizard anyway?  All these questions depend
on how you and your friends run your game.  Come up with your own
names, gosh darn it!  Geez.

A more interesting question might be:  What different concepts of the
origin and use of magik do people have in their FRP worlds?

I'd really like to see a discussion on this, since the origin of
magik is usually so ill-defined in FRP systems.

					All in fun,

					Robert Reimann
					rmr@olympus.sgi.UUCP

buyno@voder.UUCP (05/14/87)

line eater food

	Well now, someone just had to go and ask what is the "rationale" behind
my magic system.....

	I decided to put together a system that made for some sort of consistency when confronted with oddball questions. So I decided to use the Clarkian defi-
nition of magic as the technology so advanced as to appear as supernatural.
	A spacefaring race gets a ship lost and makes a forced landing at a
planet hitherto avoided for sociological reasons (it is inhabited by primitives
who are not to be "spoiled"). In order to make repairs, they set up a small
civilization on one area to mine metals, etc, etc. Later, off they go, leaving
behind a fair amount of little understood knowledge (ability of biological
modification included, a great way to justify all the monsters ;-).)
	So time goes by, empires rise and fall on the application and misappli-cation of all the "magic". Whereupon the original types return, bent upon
using the whole planet (it's contaminated anyhow, let's really mess it up!) as
a vast sociological lab. on the Clarkian principle. So new magic starts appearing, and away we go....
	Weak, but you asked.....