[rec.games.frp] random Champions characters

c60a-6ae@web7e.berkeley.edu (Sam Shen) (05/13/88)

In article <10265@stb.UUCP> tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) writes:

>What I'd really like to see is the source code (ANSI C preferrably) for a
>character generator for CHAMPIONS(tm), the Super Hero Role-Playing Game.
>Try writing one yourself some time!  It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to make a
>Champions(tm) character generator that lets you use all the options.  Heck,
>I don't even want to THINK about programming in options for Multipowers or
>Variable Power Pools!  Anybody who could make one of these would earn my
>award for Best Applications Programmer of the Year.

I believe somewhere in one of the Champions supplements (possibly an old
Adventurer's Club or one of their modules) exists a bunch of tables for
creating a random Champions character.  The character that came out could
be pretty wierd.  The basic way it worked was that you chose from a list
of classes like Energy projector, Martial Artist, Brick, etc.. and then
rolled on a bunch of tables to find their powers, skills and disads.

Does anyone out there remeber where this thing was?

Sam Shen (c60a-6ae@widow.Berkeley.EDU for 2 weeks!)

jellinghaus-robert@CS.YALE.EDU (Rob Jellinghaus) (05/14/88)

In article <9923@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-6ae@web7e.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Sam Shen) writes:
>In article <10265@stb.UUCP> tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) writes:
>I believe somewhere in one of the Champions supplements (possibly an old
>Adventurer's Club or one of their modules) exists a bunch of tables for
>creating a random Champions character.  The character that came out could
>be pretty wierd.  The basic way it worked was that you chose from a list
>of classes like Energy projector, Martial Artist, Brick, etc.. and then
>rolled on a bunch of tables to find their powers, skills and disads.
>
>Does anyone out there remeber where this thing was?

I don't know if it was ever in an Adventurer's Club, but the rules you're
describing appear at the front of Champions III.

>Sam Shen (c60a-6ae@widow.Berkeley.EDU for 2 weeks!)

Rob Jellinghaus                | Robert Anson Heinlein
jellinghaus-robert@CS.Yale.EDU |   1907-1988
ROBERTJ@{yalecs,yalevm}.BITNET |   A man who touched many lives.
{y'all}!ihnp4!hsi!yale!robertj |   May we be worthy of his legacy.

craig@lakesys.UUCP (Craig Stodolenak) (05/14/88)

In article <9923@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> c60a-6ae@web7e.berkeley.edu.UUCP (Sam Shen) writes:
>In article <10265@stb.UUCP> tracer@stb.UUCP (Jeff Boeing) writes:
>>
>>What I'd really like to see is the source code (ANSI C preferrably) for a
>>character generator for CHAMPIONS(tm), the Super Hero Role-Playing Game.
>
>I believe somewhere in one of the Champions supplements (possibly an old
>Adventurer's Club or one of their modules) exists a bunch of tables for
>creating a random Champions character.  The character that came out could
>be pretty wierd.  The basic way it worked was that you chose from a list
>of classes like Energy projector, Martial Artist, Brick, etc.. and then
>rolled on a bunch of tables to find their powers, skills and disads.

This can be found in Champions III, pages 8-22.  Titled the "Champions
Character Generator", it is indeed a series of charts that give the character
various characteristics, disadvantages, powers, and skills depending on dice
rolls.  The charts use only material from Champions.  Powers from C2 or C3 are
not included.  They recommend that if you may substitute powers and other
abilities as you see fit.

I agree that this could be a "start" for character ideas, but in no way should
it be considered an easy way to make good characters.  As was pointed out in
an earlier post, it can be used to point you in some new conception directions,
and for that it works very well.

- Craig L. Stodolenak / craig@lakesys.UUCP
  WAUC / Wisconsin Apple Users Club, Inc.
  P.O. Box 20743; Greenfield, WI  53220-2099
  (414) 482-0399 / {ihnp4,uwvax}!uwmcsd1!lakesys!craig