[rec.audio] Hooking up a mac to external speakers

zen@utgpu.UUCP (03/19/87)

	I was wondering if any problem existed with hooking up an audio
system to a Mac. I have been told that the resulting output wave is
too square and that clipping will result. Did Apple design the Mac
with hooking it into audio systems in mind?

		Nick
--
	Nick Zentena

	UUCP:           zen@utgpu
        BITNET:         zen@utorgpu.bitnet, zen@gpu.utcs.utoronto
        UofT LAN:       zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu
        Internet:       zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

{utai,allegra,cbosgd,mnetor,pyramid}

sjc@mips.UUCP (Steve Correll) (03/20/87)

In article <1987Mar18.175218.5438@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Nick Zentena) writes:
> 	I was wondering if any problem existed with hooking up an audio
> system to a Mac. I have been told that the resulting output wave is
> too square and that clipping will result...

Yes, especially if you use the floppy port. :-)

The amplifier which drives the Mac's speaker has enough power to drive
a somewhat larger external speaker (I used one from a cheap portable
phonograph), but not enough to drive the typical high fidelity
bookshelf loudspeaker. You could connect it to an 'auxiliary' input
(e.g. tape, cd, tuner, or 'spare') on your preamp or receiver, but the
voltage is a bit high for most auxiliary inputs. I'd suggest putting a
1k ohm potentiometer (see Radio Shack) between the two, setting the
preamp's volume control to its usual position, and adjusting the new
potentiometer to give the desired volume:

                             --------- + preamp (center pin)

(center pin) Mac + ------oMWMWMWMWo---- - preamp

             Mac - ---------------|

If you have trouble with hum (I doubt you will), you need to use
shielded cables and put the potentiometer in a metal box, with the box
and the shields connected to the "-"s.  Good luck.--Steve
--
...decwrl!mips!sjc						Steve Correll

olson@endor.UUCP (03/24/87)

In article <979@mips.UUCP> sjc@mips.UUCP (Steve Correll) writes:
>In article <1987Mar18.175218.5438@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu>, zen@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Nick Zentena) writes:
>> 	I was wondering if any problem existed with hooking up an audio
>> system to a Mac. I have been told that the resulting output wave is
>> too square and that clipping will result...

>(the) voltage is a bit high for most auxiliary inputs. I'd suggest putting a
>1k ohm potentiometer (see Radio Shack) between the two, setting the
>preamp's volume control to its usual position, and adjusting the new
>potentiometer to give the desired volume:

Radio Shack sells a cable intended just for this sort of connection.
I believe it's called a "Mini phone plug to RCA attenuating cable".
It's the appropriate cable to use to connect the headphone out of your
TV to the Line In (or Aux, or Tape In) plug on your stereo.

-Eric

P.S. My first Mac (long gone now), which was a very early unit, had a
RCA connector where the mini phone plug is on the current Mac.  It even
cut the sound to the internal speaker when you plugged something in!
The signal levels, however, were the same as the current Mac.

pector@ihuxy.UUCP (03/25/87)

Has anyone noticed their MacPlus (NOT a FatMac 512K) making crackling and
popping sounds while playing music in ConcertWare+MIDI using the 4 internal
Mac voices?  I have my Mac Plus's sound port connected to either my stereo
system's preamp's aux port or connected to that for a Walkman type unit.
When I had a 512K FatMac, there wasn't any such problem.  Only since my
upgrade to a MacPlus has there been any such noise in addition to the music.

Scott Pector
ihnp4!ihuxy!pector

brent@terra.UUCP (03/26/87)

In article <1914@ihuxy.ATT.COM>, pector@ihuxy.ATT.COM (Pector) writes:

> Has anyone noticed their MacPlus (NOT a FatMac 512K) making crackling and
> popping sounds while playing music in ConcertWare+MIDI using the 4 internal
> Mac voices? ...

Yes, just take a damp cloth and wipe the dust off the sound chip :-)

Made in New Zealand -->  Brent Callaghan  @ Sun Microsystems
			 uucp: sun!bcallaghan
			 phone: (415) 691 6188