[rec.audio] DRAMS

curtis@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (shan Curtis) (05/24/87)

If I'm using DRAMS (Fujitsu MB81257-12) only in Read, Write and CAS-before
RAS refresh, it would appear from looking at the  timing diagrams, that
the Q line (data out)is always hi-Z until read cycles.  Is it ok to connect
the Q and D lines together and directly to the bus, thereby avoiding having
to use buffers?  Thanks for the help in advance.

Curtis
ccl@juliet.caltech.edu
curtis@cit-vax.caltech.edu

In article <2804@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> curtis@cit-vax.UUCP (Curtis Ling) writes:

> If I'm using DRAMS (Fujitsu MB81257-12) only in Read, Write and CAS-before
> RAS refresh, it would appear from looking at the  timing diagrams, that
> the Q line (data out)is always hi-Z until read cycles.  Is it ok to connect
> the Q and D lines together and directly to the bus, thereby avoiding having
> to use buffers?  Thanks for the help in advance.
>
> Curtis  ccl@juliet.caltech.edu

As a general rule, you can tie data in and data out together as long as your
write signal is asserted before CAS.  Whether you can tie the rams directly
to a bus is more complicated, but as long as you understand that CAS is, in
effect, an output enable signal, you can avoid conflicts.  If you are planning
on connecting to some kind of "external" microcomputer bus, you will probably
need some kind of buffers for reliable operation.  Also, do not neglect series
termination resistors on address and control lines, and proper layout and
decoupling.  DRAM's *can* be a real pain in the ass unless treated with the
proper degree of respect.

phil@amdcad.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) (05/26/87)

In article <2804@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> curtis@cit-vax.UUCP (Curtis Ling) writes:

>If I'm using DRAMS (Fujitsu MB81257-12) only in Read, Write and CAS-before
>RAS refresh, it would appear from looking at the  timing diagrams, that
>the Q line (data out)is always hi-Z until read cycles.  Is it ok to connect
>the Q and D lines together and directly to the bus, thereby avoiding having
>to use buffers?  Thanks for the help in advance.

This kind of thing can work, as I have done it in a product. Note,
that one of the claimed features is "Common I/O capability using
'Early Write' operation".

Some important considerations are

1) are you doing early write cycles? If you are doing late writes, the
RAM will probably experience a bus collision with the device doing the
write until you assert *W. This is because the RAM doesn't know you're
not doing a read cycle until *W is activated.

2) Also check the load capacitance presented to each of the drivers on
the data bus.  DRAMs generally drive 100 pF and present about 7 pF on
each of D and Q.

3) All the usual stuff about good bypassing, transmission line
effects, motherhood and apple pie. If you only have 16 devices or so
you can afford to be somewhat sloppy (that's the number I used and the
signals were super clean) and with 64 you have to be more careful.
There are special RAM drivers with series termination resistors in the
IC, these provide faster drive with more symmetric rise and fall
times. Look for the 2965 or 2966.

What is this doing in rec.aviation?
--
Phil Ngai, {ucbvax,decwrl,allegra}!amdcad!phil or amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com