[rec.audio] PO'ed at Sony

mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) (08/19/88)

I've had a lot of trouble with my Sony D-55.  After about six
months of sporadic use, it developed this nasty habit of randomly
skipping forwards a minute or two, on any and all CDs.  This
got worse and worse until I discovered the rechargable battery
pack wouldn't hold a charge any more.  No matter whether the
unit was plugged into external power or not it would skip.

After removing the battery pack, the problem eventually went
away.  I bought another pack for $50 (the guy at the distributor
said they were very popular items (?!)), and everything was fine
for a few more months.  Now it's skipping again.

Does anyone know how to reset the CPU in the D-55?  I tried the
procedure posted for the D-7, but to no effect.  I'll probably
break down and get the service manual.

I love Sony stuff in general - my ICF-2010 and ICF-7600A short
wave radios are outstanding, my TV and portable tape units are
similarly fine.  Great headphones too.  I'm very disappointed
in the 'Discman', and therefore disinclined to try their audio
gear.
                                        --Mike

--
Mike Butts, Research Engineer         KC7IT           503-626-1302
Mentor Graphics Corp., 8500 SW Creekside Place, Beaverton OR 97005

space@c3pe.UUCP (Brent Archer) (08/24/88)

In article <1988Aug19.092615.149@mntgfx.mentor.com> mbutts@mntgfx.mentor.com (Mike Butts) writes:
>[description of trouble with Sony DC player deleted]
>I love Sony stuff in general - my ICF-2010 and ICF-7600A short
>wave radios are outstanding, my TV and portable tape units are
>similarly fine.  Great headphones too.  I'm very disappointed
>in the 'Discman', and therefore disinclined to try their audio
>gear.

   I have heard an awful lot of bad things about Sony CD players.
On the other hand, I have a Sony tape deck, and it's the best deck
I've ever had -- it's the only dual deck I've ever heard that did
good quality high speed dubs.  I humbly submit that not all companies
can be good at everything, and perhaps you should simply buy a CD
player from a different manufacturer.

--
Space    ..!decuac.dec.com!c3pe!space    "Demolition woman can I be your man?"

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) (08/25/88)

A friend of mine bought a Sony D-5 which Sony ended up replacing--after
he paid for the UPS back and forth, etc., etc.  The second one never
worked right, either.

I owned a D-5.  I accidentally dropped it on a carpeted floor last year.
That repair cost almost $100.  In the Bay Area, the Sony service center
is in San Bruno (not convenient to most of us) and is open Mon-Friday,
9 to 5 p.m.  The other option to actually going there is to send it to
them UPS with a check then wait for weeks for the unit's return.

The D-5 died.  Took it to Sony service center.  It supposedly needed a
new power supply (internal).  Cost?  $179.  Of course, it cost $14 for
them to tell me that.  I opted to not have the repairs done.

There is either something inherently wrong with the Sony units (especially
the D-5s) *or* there is something inherently wrong with the small-scale
technology.  In any event, I would not buy another portable CD player
from *any* manufacturer.

--Kathleen

agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu (Andreas Nowatzyk) (08/25/88)

I find this Sony-bashing rather inconclusive because most of the
happy Sony-owners don't speek up. To change this a little:

I got my D-5 right when it came out (waiting list and $300...). It never
failed, despite heavy abuse and being droped from a desk at least twice
(the plasitic parts of the lid were broken on the first occation so there
is a hole were the window used to be - covered with masking tape to keep the
dust out: no problem). I also poked at the intestines to get the digital
signal out without any ill effect.

--
   --  Andreas Nowatzyk  (DC5ZV)

   Carnegie-Mellon University	     Arpa-net:   agn@unh.cs.cmu.edu
   Computer Science Department         Usenet:   ...!seismo!unh.cs.cmu.edu!agn