[rec.audio] Sound holography

ecphssrw@bob.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (03/24/89)

[Note I edited both the Newsgroups: and the Followup-To: lines.]

In article <580@serene.UUCP>, gbell@pnet12 (Greg Bell) writes:
>     Ever heard of Holophonics?  Pioneered by a company called Zuccarelli
>Holophonics.  They have a demo cassette tape for $15 that is FASCINATING.  On
>a good tape deck, with headphones, the effect is amazing.

The technique is called binaural sound.  The recordings are made by
placing small microphones inside a dummy head near the eardrums'
location.  They can be quite amazing.  NPR broadcast a radio drama
one or two Haloweens ago which used the technique.  The trouble is, it
sounds quite strange through speakers, mainly due to the odd frequency
balance.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu