[rec.audio] DSP for feedback control

rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Randy Brumbaugh) (06/13/90)

An idea for a device which would be very useful, but for
some reason doesn't seen to be available:

In sound reinforcement work, especially indoors, feedback is
a problem.  Certain frequencies tend to be "hotter" than others
in a given room.  Usually equalizationis used to cut these
frequencies (actually wavelengths) before a show, during
set-up.  But because of the horrible effect of feedback on an
audience and change in room acoustics with an audience, it
is normal to leave large margins in the system gain to
be sure feedback doesn't happen.

Wouldn't it be possible to use DSP to eliminate feedback
in real time before it is noticed?  The processor would
"look" at the spectral contents of the program and watch
for any "runaway" frequency bands, where the energy is
increasing exponentially (??).  It could also check for
ringing.  It might test the room before a show to find
frequencies to watch more closely.  If it was really slick,
it would distinguish between input channels, realizing that
feedback would only come through a mic, while a synth
might make a sound which "looks" like feedback.

Once it found feedback starting, it could reduce the gain
at the exact frequency by just enough to stop it.  Thus,
the sound reinforcement system would continuosly adapt to
changing conditions, and much more gain could be squeezed out
of a system because feedback margins could be eliminated.

So . . . Does such a thing exist?  If not why not?
It seems  1) possible  2) useful  3) saleable
Am I missing something?

Randy Brumabugh
rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

chuck@umiami.miami.edu (06/13/90)

In article <539@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>, rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov
(Randy Brumbaugh) writes:

> ...Wouldn't it be possible to use DSP to eliminate feedback
> in real time before it is noticed?  ...
>
> So . . . Does such a thing exist?  If not why not?
> It seems  1) possible  2) useful  3) saleable
> Am I missing something?

I've done live sound work for a few years now.  I am certain that many folx
such as yourself have thought of such a monster, but I have some thoeries
as to why it's not out yet.  However, it is a *great* idea!

This may not be much of a factor for large sound companies, but something
like this seems expensive!  The software (and hardware) for this would seem
to take quite a bit of time developing, and start out costing loads of
dough, so that the sound quality would not be compromised, and so that it
would be easy enough for any sound jockey to use.  Although, I'm sure costs
could be kept within range of most sound-company budgets with some time.

Also, you'd either have to decide on a specific computer to run it on, or
develop your own CPU, operating system and user interface to run with the
unit.  And, if you decided on a computer, should it be a Mac, IBM, etc?
How many sound companies have road-worthy computers?  Sound gear on the
road gets *real* banged up during load-ins and -outs.  I don't see an
efficient way of interfacing with a console to control individual input
gains.  You'd have to build a patch bay of some sort, or a computer
interfacing scheme to make the whole thing work, and the most efficient way
for the computer (the interface) is the most "costly" (not just money), and
the inefficient (patch-pay method) is old technology.  Am I making sense?

I'm sure there are a few other things that hold back this "technological
wonder".  I certainly see how a profitable sound company could afford some
machine like this, cause the best way to go would be to buy a console with
the computer built-in, but this is a great expense.  The ideal way to go
(so it would be available to everybody) would be to make it interface with
present boards, and that is a bit more difficult.

I am open to more discussion on this topic, cause I would certainly like to
see something like this developed!

> Randy Brumabugh
> rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

I hope this fuels a little discussion on the subject for ya, Randy.
   Chuck Urwiler    University of Miami Music Engineering   Voice & Keys
 chuck@umiami              | This space for rent...
 e1mvqi9z@umiamivm         |
 chuck@umiami.miami.edu    |
 chuck@miavax.ir.miami.edu |
Disclaimer: I only work and learn at this University. I don't speak for it!

bill@bilver.UUCP (Bill Vermillion) (06/13/90)

In article <6418.267529f7@umiami.miami.edu-> chuck@umiami.miami.edu writes:
->In article <539@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>, rando@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov
->(Randy Brumbaugh) writes:
->>
->> ...Wouldn't it be possible to use DSP to eliminate feedback
->> in real time before it is noticed?  ...
->>
->I've done live sound work for a few years now.  I am certain that many folx
->such as yourself have thought of such a monster, but I have some thoeries
->as to why it's not out yet.  However, it is a *great* idea!
->
->Also, you'd either have to decide on a specific computer to run it on, or
->develop your own CPU, operating system and user interface to run with the
->unit.  And, if you decided on a computer, should it be a Mac, IBM, etc?
->How many sound companies have road-worthy computers?

Since it (the automatic FB eliminating DSP) would be a dedicated piece of
equipment it would make sense to make it a single piece of gear.  It doesnt'
need to be an add in board to a computer, nor should it.

However, as wonderful as this device sounds, I'll bet you it will (when it
happens) get overused, and improperly used.

I can radio stations who are now using 4 band compressors to get a louder
signal than those with single band units, now going to the "infinite band"
unit.  Then what music sounds like will only be a memory for many people. :-(.

bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP