[rec.audio] fibre optic standard?

apeel@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Gregory Peel) (08/27/90)

   I have some technical questions regarding the optical fibre capability
(used for transmission of AES-EBU serial music data) of some high-end audio
equipment.

	What are the...

		- standard connectors.
		- grade of fibre optic cable.
		- optical source and detector?

   I assume this is defined in some industry standard, so if anyone could tell
me where this is to be found I would be most grateful (I'm trying to build my
own).

Andrew Peel.					University of Melbourne,
apeel@munmurra.cs.mu.OZ.AU			Computer Science Dept.
Ph. (03) 344-4045	Fax. 61 3 348-1184	Parkville, 3052.  Australia.

jaime@tcville.HAC.COM (Jaime Villacorte) (08/29/90)

In article <5200@munnari.oz.au> apeel@mullauna.cs.mu.OZ.AU (Andrew Gregory Peel) writes:

>   I have some technical questions regarding the optical fibre capability
>(used for transmission of AES-EBU serial music data) of some high-end audio
>equipment.

	There is a paper titled "Fiber Optic Link for Digital Audio
Interface" by Shigeyuki Sakura, et al., from the Solid State Device
Engineering First Dept., Toshiba Corporation, Kawasaki, Japan. It is
in the August 1988 IEEE Transactions on Consumer Electronics, Vol 34, No. 3,
p. 667-670. This paper might provide answers to some of your questions.

					- jaime villacorte

                  Hughes Aircraft Co, EDSG     jaime@tcville.hac.com
           Image and Signal Processing Lab     jaime%tcville@hac2arpa.hac.com
POB 902, MS E52/D203, El Segundo, CA 90245     (213) 616-8954