[rec.audio] NeXT Dimension as descrambler

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (10/01/90)

In article <51700@brunix.UUCP> cgy@cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:

>>computations, it could perform real-time [TV] descrambling quite easily.
>
>Or, just as tantalizing... since the NeXT has 16-bit audio capability, it
>could serve just as easily as a "black box" for DAT.

Or, for day to day use, you can record, analyze (on the MonsterScope) and playback the
tone access codes  used by the telephone company---free phone calls for everyone!

Sounds to me like the FCC's gonna have to shut down NeXT :-)

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math

barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) (10/01/90)

Or, imagine the fun you can have applying the Sound Editor to recordings
of various import people...

--
Barry Merriman
UCLA Dept. of Math
UCLA Inst. for Fusion and Plasma Research
barry@math.ucla.edu (Internet)

In article <51700@brunix.UUCP> cgy@cs.brown.edu (Curtis Yarvin) writes:
>Or, just as tantalizing... since the NeXT has 16-bit audio capability, it
>could serve just as easily as a "black box" for DAT.  You could read in the
>music, add the "black frequency" that is masked out for DAT copy-protection,
>and write it back to another tape...

The "black frequency" scheme was decisively shot down and is no longer
planned.  DAT copy-protection is now strictly *digital* copy protection,
with (oversimplifying slightly) a do-not-copy bit in the digital bit
stream that other digital recorders will respect.  Once the bits get
turned into an analog signal, they are clean.
--
Imagine life with OS/360 the standard  | Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
operating system.  Now think about X.  |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

dar@cbnews.att.com (David A. Roth) (10/03/90)

In article <451@kaos.MATH.UCLA.EDU>, barry@pico.math.ucla.edu (Barry Merriman) writes:

|> >Or, just as tantalizing... since the NeXT has 16-bit audio capability, it
|> >could serve just as easily as a "black box" for DAT.
|>
|> Or, for day to day use, you can record, analyze (on the MonsterScope) and playback the
|> tone access codes  used by the telephone company---free phone calls for everyone!

As Homey the Clown would say "I don't think so!".