[rec.audio] converting AUX level to MIC level

phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) (02/20/91)

I am wanting to connect a tape recorder that has only MIC input to a device
that has AUX or earphone or speaker level outputs.  What I need is some level
of attenuation.  I have not worked with these before so I don't know what
the typical levels and impedances are.  Does anyone know this and/or have
good working circuits for apply the proper attenuation?  Are there any other
things that need to be done besides just attenuation?

The recorder I have is a Sony TCM-38V.  The instructions recommend using
special connector cords for recording from various sources.  For dubbing
between 2 cassette units they recommend model RK-G64.  The same is also
recommended for recording from a radio or TV equipped with an earphone
jack.  The RK-G69 is recommended for recoding from a radio or TV equipped
with a recording jack.  I suspect what I need to do is reproduce these
cords unless some wonderful dealer happens to stock these possibly rare
items.  (Maybe RS?  Nah!)

Email: phil-howard@uiuc.edu or ka9wgn@uiuc.edu
Thanks.
--

--Phil Howard, KA9WGN-- | Individual CHOICE is fundamental to a free society
<phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> | no matter what the particular issue is all about.

bill@bilver.uucp (Bill Vermillion) (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb19.220209.13013@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> phil@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu (Phil Howard KA9WGN) writes:

>I am wanting to connect a tape recorder that has only MIC input to a device
>that has AUX or earphone or speaker level outputs.

>                        I suspect what I need to do is reproduce these
>cords unless some wonderful dealer happens to stock these possibly rare
>items.  (Maybe RS?  Nah!)

Well, maybe RS is the place.  A few years ago they did have a cable made
especially for that purpose.  It had built in attenuation so that you could
take a high level signal and feed it into a mike input.

                      : bill@bilver.UUCP

IO80900@MAINE.BITNET (02/22/91)

I have not looked for such a connector recently, but a few years ago
Radio Shack sold such a connector.  They came in packages of two, and
accepted an RCA jack, and the out was a MIC jack (1/8", I think).  I
cannot remember off hand, but I believe the attenuation level was about
22 dB.

C. A. Gagnon
IO80900 at MAINE.BITNET
io80900@maine.maine.edu