[rec.audio] Portable CDROM

news@Camex.COM (news) (03/28/91)

In article <1190329@hpnmdla.hp.com> joeb@hpnmdla.hp.com (Joe Barnhart) writes:
>In rec.audio, psw@richard.mitre.org (Phillip Wherry) writes:
>
>  | I continue to be amazed that Sony managed to jam so much electronics (and
>  | mechanics, for that matter) into such a small package.
>
>As owner of three failed Sony portable disc players, I'll be even more
>amazed if it survives two years under nominal use...
>
>-- Joe B.
>
>#include <standard.disclaimer>

Yup.  Although my gripe is more with Sony service (for me, in Westwood,
Mass.).  Last summer, they didn't tell me *or the dealer* for two months they
couldn't fix my D10 (portable player #2) for a reasonable amount.  The latest
is that I had put my D35 (player #3) in for service because it was skipping
unreasonably.  I got it back, and if you tilt the player, it emits horrible
static noises, and if you keep it tilted long enough, it shuts off.  Back it
goes--at least I have maintenance on this player.  I wouldn't buy Sony
product at this point.  I certainly wouldn't buy anything without an extended
warranty.  By the way, what does anybody know about the NEC Intersect
portable CDROM player, which MacWarehouse and others are offering?

Bill Edwards                           wse@Camex.COM;wse%camex@uunet.uu.net
Camex;75 Kneeland St. Boston MA 02111  edwards@harvunxu.bitnet
Tel.: (617) 426-3577 x 489             Standard disclaimers

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) (03/29/91)

In article <1889@camex.COM> wse@summa.UUCP (Bill Edwards) writes:
> [general BMG about Sony CD players going bad]

I'm gonna get me a bumper sticker that sez: LEMONS HAPPEN.

I have a Sony D5 that's worked perfectly for five years (not that I tilt it
much).

It replaced a D5 that failed after less than a year.

Conclude what you like, but remember: Bill, I, and the guy who started this
thread are a statistical sample of three.

--
This program posts news to billions of machines throughout the galaxy.  Your
message will cost the net enough to bankrupt your entire planet.  As a result

pascal@CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (03/30/91)

rsholmes@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Rich Holmes) writes:

>In article <1889@camex.COM> wse@summa.UUCP (Bill Edwards) writes:
>> [general BMG about Sony CD players going bad]

>I'm gonna get me a bumper sticker that sez: LEMONS HAPPEN.

>I have a Sony D5 that's worked perfectly for five years (not that I tilt it
>much).

>It replaced a D5 that failed after less than a year.

>Conclude what you like, but remember: Bill, I, and the guy who started this
>thread are a statistical sample of three.

>--
>This program posts news to billions of machines throughout the galaxy.  Your
>message will cost the net enough to bankrupt your entire planet.  As a result
>your species will be sold into slavery.  Be sure you know what you are doing.
>Are you absolutely sure you want to do this? [ny] y

My Sony DT-4 has spent more time in the shop that anything else and it
still skips even when used on a shelf !  This is not a case of scratched
CD's, they work fine in my two other Sony CD players (CDP-670 and CDP-110).

| Pascal Gosselin          | Internet: P.Gosselin@CAM.ORG Applelink: CDA0585 |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |   Voice (514) 767-4444   Fax (514) 767-7337     |