[rec.audio] Good speaker + DSP == perfect speaker?

jfischer@sco.COM (Jonathan A. Fischer) (03/23/91)

	Something that's really caught my interest lately (I suppose
it was after reading a review of the Meridian D6000 "digital speaker")
is the possibility of the following scenario:

	You buy a good speaker with no glaring flaws.  Its frequency
response is pretty good, varying +/- a couple of dB over yer basic
40-ish to 20K Hz range.  Its phase accuracy varies +/- <n> degrees over
the spectrum (whatever's typical).

	So you buy a programmable DSP "package," containing the DSP
unit (which also performs as a frequency generator), and a mike or
Sound Pressure Level meter.  You set up the SPL meter in your
listening spot, press the "setup" button on the DSP unit, and it
commences to send frequency sweeps through your sound system, reads
the levels and the phase response.  Finally, using these variables, it
sets up a digital equalization + phase doctoring DSP program which
will transform your sound system, no matter what your room's or your
speaker's acoustical properties, into one with a completely flat
frequency response curve, and with zero phase shift across the entire
spectrum.

	Is this a pipe dream or is it feasible?
--
Jonathan A. Fischer		SCO Canada, Inc.
jfischer@scocan.sco.COM		Toronto, Ontario, Canada

jroth@allvax.enet.dec.com (Jim Roth) (03/23/91)

In article <1991Mar22.171203.8665@sco.COM>, jfischer@sco.COM (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes...

>	So you buy a programmable DSP "package," containing the DSP
>unit (which also performs as a frequency generator), and a mike or
>Sound Pressure Level meter.  You set up the SPL meter in your

[ ... and optimize your speaker response with it ... ]

>	Is this a pipe dream or is it feasible?

These experiments have been done from time to time and have been reported
in the JAES; more recent work has equalized the reverberant sound field
as well as the direct arrival sound (a weighted optimization of the two...)

A recent paper is from someone at KEF, make what you will of that.

It's certainly well within the capability of off the shelf
DSP technology, and could probably make otherwise good but not
identical sounding speakers sound virtually the same if a good
LEDE listening room was used.  I'd try an experiment myself if
I had an audio workstation handy...

- Jim

mcmahan@netcom.COM (Dave Mc Mahan) (03/24/91)

 In a previous article, jfischer@sco.COM (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes:

>	Something that's really caught my interest lately (I suppose
>it was after reading a review of the Meridian D6000 "digital speaker")
>is the possibility of the following scenario:
>
>	You buy a good speaker with no glaring flaws.  Its frequency
>response is pretty good, varying +/- a couple of dB over yer basic
>40-ish to 20K Hz range.  Its phase accuracy varies +/- <n> degrees over
>the spectrum (whatever's typical).
>
>	So you buy a programmable DSP "package," containing the DSP
>unit (which also performs as a frequency generator), and a mike or
>Sound Pressure Level meter.  You set up the SPL meter in your
>listening spot, press the "setup" button on the DSP unit, and it
>commences to send frequency sweeps through your sound system, reads
>the levels and the phase response.  Finally, using these variables, it
>sets up a digital equalization + phase doctoring DSP program which
>will transform your sound system, no matter what your room's or your
>speaker's acoustical properties, into one with a completely flat
>frequency response curve, and with zero phase shift across the entire
>spectrum.
>
>	Is this a pipe dream or is it feasible?

Sure, it's feasible.  How much do you want to spend and how much correction
do you think you will need?  The only other thing that you have to remember
is that your system of amplifiers, etc. must be capable of time invariant
response.  That means that if you turn up the volume a bit or the amplifier
temperature drifts a bit due to a warmer room, your parameters
won't drift.  This system wouldn't work very well if every time you adjust
the volume you get a totally different response curve.  The other thing you
could never do is move plants or furniture within the room and not re-tune
the system.  You won't be able to ever get down to a sub-woofer response
without having a speaker that is capable of such low bass as well.  You
could compensate a current system, but don't look at getting concert hall
performance with mail-order speaker systems and amplifiers.

>Jonathan A. Fischer		SCO Canada, Inc.
>jfischer@scocan.sco.COM		Toronto, Ontario, Canada

   -dave
--
Dave McMahan                            mcmahan@netcom.com
					{apple,amdahl,claris}!netcom!mcmahan

gt0869a@prism.gatech.EDU (WATERS,CLYDE GORDON) (03/24/91)

In article <1991Mar22.171203.8665@sco.COM> jfischer@sco.COM (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes:
some deleted...
>sets up a digital equalization + phase doctoring DSP program which
>will transform your sound system, no matter what your room's or your
>speaker's acoustical properties, into one with a completely flat
>frequency response curve, and with zero phase shift across the entire
>spectrum.
>
>	Is this a pipe dream or is it feasible?
>--
If anyone has any relevant information on this, _please_email me a copy
of it too.
I am interested in digitally altering not just the whole system response,
but the individual parts. Suppose, by chance, you have a tweeter that
roll off too soon on the low end (maybe you're trying to use 6db slopes)
However, the resonsnce behavior severely complicates attempts to alter
the response. My guess would be that some system of higher order(like
differenrial equations-analogy) would be required to solve this problem.
However, a digital system, done properly could "numerically solve" the
problem...
I am interested in not only sloutions, but will entertain any theories
anyone has on this subject. I know that there are devices similar to the
ones Mr. Fische mentioned  in development, but have no relevant data.
This type of design seems to offer a chance of "sidestepping" some
of the shortfalls of current audio technology.Until the "better speaker"
comes along, maybe this could"bridge the gap"I know this has little hope
in solving transient distortion problems, but it seems that by removing
a couple of variables from the solution equations the job would be a lot
easier(ie, if the frequency and phase response were correct)...
Neat subject to think about, isn't it?

Gordon.

--
WATERS,CLYDE GORDON
uucp:	  ...!{decvax,hplabs,ncar,purdue,rutgers}!gatech!prism!gt0869a

cwpjr@cbnewse.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (03/25/91)

In article <1991Mar22.171203.8665@sco.COM>, jfischer@sco.COM (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes:

> 	Something that's really caught my interest lately (I suppose
> it was after reading a review of the Meridian D6000 "digital speaker")
> is the possibility of the following scenario:
>
> 	You buy a good speaker with no glaring flaws.  Its frequency
> response is pretty good, varying +/- a couple of dB over yer basic
> 40-ish to 20K Hz range.  Its phase accuracy varies +/- <n> degrees over
> the spectrum (whatever's typical).
>
> 	So you buy a programmable DSP "package," containing the DSP
> unit (which also performs as a frequency generator), and a mike or
> Sound Pressure Level meter.  You set up the SPL meter in your
> listening spot, press the "setup" button on the DSP unit, and it
> commences to send frequency sweeps through your sound system, reads
> the levels and the phase response.  Finally, using these variables, it
> sets up a digital equalization + phase doctoring DSP program which
> will transform your sound system, no matter what your room's or your
> speaker's acoustical properties, into one with a completely flat
> frequency response curve, and with zero phase shift across the entire
> spectrum.
>
> 	Is this a pipe dream or is it feasible?
> --
> Jonathan A. Fischer		SCO Canada, Inc.
> jfischer@scocan.sco.COM		Toronto, Ontario, Canada
> Usenet's first law of flamodynamics:
> For every opinion, there is an equal and opposite counter-opinion.

Jon,
	I had the same dream about 2-3 years ago, when I first
got interested in DSP's. Yeah I think this is possible.
A good high end audio product.
	Another variation I thought of is to incorporate a listener
profile and do the same sort of thing to get the speaker responce
flat to a individuals ears...

	Amazing how dreams can come true, isn't it?
Clyde

eric@cinnet.com (Eric Bardes) (03/27/91)

It is a nifty idea.  Run enough DSP to counteract defects in the speaker
and room, BUT ...  What about the response curve of the microphone?

I think a much more likely idea is some serious acoustic computer modeling of
the microphone, can't do it for real because of real world problems, so the
DSP knows those limitations too.

I give it three to seven years depending on consumer demand.

Eric Bardes

exspes@gdr.bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (03/27/91)

In article <1991Mar22.171203.8665@sco.COM> jfischer@sco.COM (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes:
>	So you buy a programmable DSP "package," containing the DSP
>unit (which also performs as a frequency generator), and a mike or
>Sound Pressure Level meter.  You set up the SPL meter in your
>listening spot, press the "setup" button on the DSP unit, and it
>commences to send frequency sweeps through your sound system, reads
>the levels and the phase response.  Finally, using these variables, it
>sets up a digital equalization + phase doctoring DSP program which
>will transform your sound system, no matter what your room's or your
>speaker's acoustical properties, into one with a completely flat
>frequency response curve, and with zero phase shift across the entire
>spectrum.

Marantz are said to be working on such a box for the home market.
They've even demonstrated a prototype, which will 'flatten' naked cone
drivers in a normal room.  Of course (to answer someone else's
comments) it will only flatten them over the frequency range that the
laws of physics, and the basic limitations of the components, allow.

Knowing audio companies, 'prototype' in this context probably means
that they've got the user interface of the box completed, but with a
fairly hunky computer simulating the internal workings.  Still, with
the miracles of modern chippery, should get there eventually.  Would
surprise me if other companies aren't researching this as well.

We'd note also that since it uses digital processing, there will be
lots of folk who won't like it, no matter how good it is.

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132

DCROWE@GTRI01.GATECH.EDU (03/27/91)

This is certainly possible, within the performance limits of the DSP (and, of
course, the software would have to protect the hardware from being "corrected"
beyond it's physical capabilities).

The really intersting thing is to go beyond the suggestion to correct amplitude
and phase response, and to model and predict the form of harmonic and
intermodulation distortion, so that a cancelling signal can be added as a
function of the current program material. Perhaps the CD source could be read
ahead by a second laser to give the DSP time to calculate the correction.

Devon Crowe              / "There are more linear functions in
dcrowe@gtri01.gatech.edu /  Physics than in Nature"
                         /                          _Norbert Weiner.

wilf@sce.carleton.ca (Wilf Leblanc) (03/28/91)

eric@cinnet.com (Eric Bardes) writes:

>It is a nifty idea.  Run enough DSP to counteract defects in the speaker
>and room, BUT ...  What about the response curve of the microphone?

>[stuff deleted]

One point that I haven't seen mentioned:

Sure, the response might be great at the microphone, but
horrible a couple of wavelengths away.  Realistically, the
DSP could counteract the (minor) defects in the speaker, but
it may be difficult to counteract the room acoustics.  Besides,
do you really want to counteract the room acoustics ??  Don't we
want to transform the room into a concert hall (or some such
desirable place) ??

If we do all the DSP in the world to counteract the non-flat
frequency response of the speaker and the room acoustics, it
may end up sounding rather poor.

--
Wilf LeBlanc, Carleton University, Systems & Comp. Eng. Ottawa, Canada, K1S 5B6
Internet: wilf@sce.carleton.ca   UUCP: ...!uunet!mitel!cunews!sce!wilf

hillman@newsserver.sfu.ca (Steve Hillman) (03/28/91)

Rockford Fosgate has already brought out just such a project. For a brief
description of it, look in the "New Products" section of April's Car
Audio & Electronics (note that this product is for car stereos, but would
probably work equally well in a home.)

But it ain't cheap!

--
Steve "Skillman" Hillman                "Everyone generalizes"
hillman@whistler.sfu.ca

lstowell@pyrnova.pyramid.com (Lon Stowell) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.042821.14392@cinnet.com> eric@cinnet.com (Eric Bardes) writes:

>It is a nifty idea.  Run enough DSP to counteract defects in the speaker
>and room, BUT ...  What about the response curve of the microphone?
>
>I think a much more likely idea is some serious acoustic computer modeling of
>the microphone, can't do it for real because of real world problems, so the
>DSP knows those limitations too.
>
>I give it three to seven years depending on consumer demand.

   I'll have to agree....

   All that would be needed is an "open" interface into the
   Yamaha DSP processors....your specific room environment is
   fed as a correction signal into their existing DSP
   processing.

   You would need a lot of (computer or otherwise) knobs, etc.
   to allow tuning for personal tastes to override any
   automation....most people don't really much care for a "flat"
   response generated by the automated equalizers of today...and
   I doubt if any computer would be able to satisfy everyone's
   ears.

   You can play around with this today if you have DSP hardware
   and a fast enough PC...all that is really needed is to take
   the algorithms and move it to VLSI to get the parts count
   down and speed up.  Anyone got a few megabucks?

dpm@msc.edu (David P. Mottaz) (03/29/91)

What fun to watch this thing go berserk when a cat runs through the
room upsetting the "waves", or if the phone rings.  It will need a "I
Have A Cold And My Head Is Stuffed Up" mode. For a little extra you get
a great feature, the Air Conditioner Fan Noise Compensation Chip.  The
acoustical properties are much different in the summer, when you have a
glass bottle of beer in your hand(that's right, High Frequency Deflection)
than in the winter, with you wearing a thick sound-absorbing sweater.

-Dave/dpm@msc.edu/Minnesota Supercomputer Center :-) 8*> I-](RoboCop smile)

mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Terry Mitchem) (03/29/91)

In article <3783@uc.msc.umn.edu> dpm@msc.edu (David P. Mottaz) writes:
>What fun to watch this thing go berserk when a cat runs through the
>room upsetting the "waves", or if the phone rings.  It will need a "I
>Have A Cold And My Head Is Stuffed Up" mode. For a little extra you get
>a great feature, the Air Conditioner Fan Noise Compensation Chip.  The
>acoustical properties are much different in the summer, when you have a
>glass bottle of beer in your hand(that's right, High Frequency Deflection)
>than in the winter, with you wearing a thick sound-absorbing sweater.

	Fine. So we hook it up to a Cray III in order to process the signal
in real time :-) In all seriousness, you would need some serious compute
power to accomplish this. It might nit be worth the money. Later, Terry

wilf@sce.carleton.ca (Wilf Leblanc) (03/29/91)

dpm@msc.edu (David P. Mottaz) writes:

>What fun to watch this thing go berserk when a cat runs through the
>room upsetting the "waves", or if the phone rings.  It will need a "I
>Have A Cold And My Head Is Stuffed Up" mode. For a little extra you get
>a great feature, the Air Conditioner Fan Noise Compensation Chip.  The
>acoustical properties are much different in the summer, when you have a
>glass bottle of beer in your hand(that's right, High Frequency Deflection)
>than in the winter, with you wearing a thick sound-absorbing sweater.

Exactly, although I think you need a ;-), in there somewhere.
However, there are two issues here:
    1.  Improving the sound due to poor speaker characteristics;
    2.  Improving the sound due to poor room acoustics.

Item 1 is easy using DSP, and need not be adaptive.

Item 2 is very difficult, because of the issues you mentioned.  I would
hate to see what happens when you are using a system which compensates
(adaptively) for poor room acoustics in a very small room and someone
opens the door ;-).  However, think of the $ people are going to make
selling these advanced (?) features.  If people are going to spend
money, there just has to be many modes such as you mention:

    1. Cat mode;
    2. I have a cold mode;
    3. Air conditioner on mode;
    4. I'm drinkin' a beer mode;
    5. Canada mode, (i.e. I got my sweater on mode).

However, you forget many modes:
    1. I've got big ears mode;
    2. I'm old, so could you boost the high frequencies
       a bit mode;
    3. I've got a thick forehead mode (also known as
       great bone conduction mode);
    4. And of course, quit adapting, you're driving me crazy
       mode.

chrisc@gold.gvg.tek.com (Chris Christensen) (03/30/91)

writes:

>It is a nifty idea.  Run enough DSP to counteract defects in the speaker
>and room, BUT ...  What about the response curve of the microphone?

Do us (recording engineers) a favor and don't try and correct microphone
response curves!

I guess the real  question is how would you compensate for the Microphones
response?

Even the minimalists may use two or three different types of
microphones for Classical recordings.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Asbestos suit on.!

Chris Christensen

ulfl@kuling.UUCP (Ulf Lagerstedt) (03/31/91)

In article <1991Mar22.171203.8665@sco.COM> jfischer@sco.COM (Jonathan A. Fischer) writes:
>	So you buy a programmable DSP "package," containing the DSP
>unit (which also performs as a frequency generator), and a mike or
>Sound Pressure Level meter.  You set up the SPL meter in your
>listening spot, press the "setup" button on the DSP unit, and it
>commences to send frequency sweeps through your sound system, reads
>the levels and the phase response.  Finally, using these variables, it
>sets up a digital equalization + phase doctoring DSP program which
>will transform your sound system, no matter what your room's or your
>speaker's acoustical properties, into one with a completely flat
>frequency response curve, and with zero phase shift across the entire
>spectrum.

It seems to me that this procedure would not be enough. The imperfectness
of your speaker/system might not correspond simply to single frequencies,
but instead, say, a loud bass pulse X following a midrange pulse Y.
I suppose you would have to analyse each musical piece individually.
Furthermore, since your speaker is less than perfect, the corrections you
apply will need counter-corrections and counter-counter corrections. It is
not obvious that subsequent results will be closer to the original, or
even that a given speaker of good quality is theoretically capable of
emitting a certain signal given *any* possible input.

I recall the motional feedback (MFB) speakers made by Philips in the
early 1970's, which had a built-in amp and a piezo crystal placed on
the moving bass cone. The crystal would sense the acceleration, and
information of the motion of the bass cone would be compared to the
input signal and corrected by the amp. The speakers had unusually good
low bass response, but that was about it. I don't think the speakers
were commercially successful, since they were a bit expensive. Besides,
most people already had paid for their own power amps.

As a side note, the model I examined had a rather dangerous mains
connection for the built-in amp. One speaker was connected to the wall
socket, and the other speaker to the first one with a male-to-male cable...

--
 "Television - a medium. So called because              Ulf Lagerstedt
 it is neither rare nor well done"                      ZYX Sweden AB

gt0869a@prism.gatech.EDU (WATERS,CLYDE GORDON) (04/05/91)

In article <3783@uc.msc.umn.edu> dpm@msc.edu (David P. Mottaz) writes:
>What fun to watch this thing go berserk when a cat runs through the
>room upsetting the "waves", or if the phone rings.  It will need a "I
>
>-Dave/dpm@msc.edu/Minnesota Supercomputer Center :-) 8*> I-](RoboCop smile)

What I meant when I posted earlier on speaker compensation was NOT to
try to compensate for room effects, just for the speaker itself (measure
once, preferably anechoic, near field) and leave it alone. I do not
personally believe room compensation should be tried in any electronic
form (except maybe for Nelson Pass' (I think) noise cancellation/ standing
wave cancellation scheme) Passive room comp (deadening, etc) can have
good effect, but adaptive room eq is too big a can of worms for me :-)
Any further comments welcomed on speaker compensation.
Thanks
Gordon.