[rec.food.cooking] Romanesco Broccoli

donnam@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Donna Mitchell) (07/09/90)

In article <HUGHES.90Jul6085636@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU> hughes@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:

>If I'm thinking of what you're thinking, this vegetable also goes by
>the name of Romanesco broccoli; it has pointed, spiraling flower
>arrangements and is a pale yellow-green.  I have seen Romanesco
>broccoli in the J. L. Hudson seed catalog for three years (when I
>started getting it).  In there it is listed as an Italian variety.

	Several people have mentioned Romanesco Broccoli.  I would like
	to put in a good word for this veggie.  I have grown it for the
	last 5 years...It's wonderful!  It is no substitute for "regular"
	broccoli any more that cauliflower is.  But, rather, it is a good
	addition to the garden and kitchen.  It's milder than broccoli,
	and just different from cauliflower.  It also is not as course as
	broccoli I tend to purposely under cook my broccoli, cauliflower
	and Romanesco.  The Romanesco is more similar in texture to
	cauliflower.

	Over the years, I have found Romanesco to be a bit harder to grow
	than broccoli, although the past two years I've had a bumper
	Romanesco crop and just a so-so broccoli crop.

	Give it a try, I think you'll like it!

					Donna
  Sometimes I think the surest    |  Donna Mitchell
  sign that intelligent life      |  Donnam@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.Com
  exists elsewhere in the         |  UUCP: ...!ucsd  \
  universe is that none of it has |  NCR:  ...!ncrcae - !ncr-sd!palomar!donnam
  tried to contact us. --Calvin   |  ARPA: ...!nosc  /
__________________________________|___________________________________________

king@batserver.cs.uq.oz.au (Paul King) (07/10/90)

donnam@palomar.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Donna Mitchell) writes:

>In article <HUGHES.90Jul6085636@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU> hughes@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:
>>
>>If I'm thinking of what you're thinking, this vegetable also goes by
>>the name of Romanesco broccoli ...
>	Several people have mentioned Romanesco Broccoli.  I would like
>	to put in a good word for this veggie...

I have tried Romanesco broccoli with reasonable success also.
I have also bought seeds for Floccoli (distributed by Thompson and
Morgan in Australia - although I think they have just changed their name).
I haven't tried them yet, but the description says that floccoli is a
cross between broccoli and cauliflower - tastes like the first, looks
like the second (only slightly creamier - as you get from not protecting
cauliflower from the sun).  The heads weigh up to 0.8kg (1 3/4 lb).
The sowing guide also says that the plants do better when grown during
the warmer months of the year, whereas some broccoli and most cauliflower
are grown in the cooler months (in this part of Australia at least).

Paul.
--
Paul King							       _--_|\
Dept. of Computer Science, Univ. of Queensland			      /      X