[rec.food.cooking] Broccoflower

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/06/90)

Anybody know the scoop on this "broccoflower" vegetable?  I bought
one for $1.79 today after hearing about it on TV!

On TV, they said it is a cross between a broccoli and a cauliflower
which was discovered in a farm in Holland a couple of years ago.

I don't believe it!  I think it's just a variant form of cauliflower.
It doesn't have the taste, texture, or morphology of broccoli.  The
only broccoli-like feature it has is that it is green.

So what's the straight story on "broccoflower"?  Is it a multi-million
dollar fraud on the American public (happy 4th, y'all)?  I for one am
plenty pissed I was tricked into paying $1.79 for a cauliflower!

ddeutsch@bbn.com (Debra Deutsch) (07/06/90)

Could it have been a purple cauliflower?  It looks just like a
cauliflower except the head is purple/green instead of white.  I have
seen purple cauliflowers in seed catalogs and in several markets here
in the Boston area.

Debbie Deutsch

hughes@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) (07/06/90)

In article <31477@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert
Thorson) writes:
>Anybody know the scoop on this "broccoflower" vegetable?  I bought
>one for $1.79 today after hearing about it on TV!
>On TV, they said it is a cross between a broccoli and a cauliflower
>which was discovered in a farm in Holland a couple of years ago.

If I'm thinking of what you're thinking, this vegetable also goes by
the name of Romanesco broccoli; it has pointed, spiraling flower
arrangements and is a pale yellow-green.  I have seen Romanesco
broccoli in the J. L. Hudson seed catalog for three years (when I
started getting it).  In there it is listed as an Italian variety.

As to its origins, well, broccoli and cauliflower are already two
varieties of the same species, so interbreeding is trivial, although
varietal cultivation to a replicable phenotype is not.  FYI, all the
following plants are members of the same species (data from _Growing
and Saving Vegetable Seeds_, by Marc Rogers, from Garden Way
Publishing, not the most reliable source for botanical information,
but plenty fine for gardening):

Cabbage (Brassica oleracea capitata)
Broccoli (B. oleracea italica)
Brussels sprouts (B. oleracea gemmifera)
Cauliflower (B. oleracea botyris)
Kale (B. oleracea acephala)
Kohlrabi (B. oleracea caulorapa)

Also included (but not listed) are mustard (both seed and greens),
rape (whence rapeseed, whence rapeseed oil, aka canola oil), several
Chinese varieties of brocolli, and collard greens.  (I'm not sure
about all of these myself; anybody have a reference?)

Eric Hughes
hughes@ocf.berkeley.edu   ucbvax!ocf!hughes

JAHAYES@MIAMIU.BITNET (07/06/90)

When I last grew cauliflower, I had to tie the leaves up over
the "flower" in order to get it to turn white -- it's originally
green.  Perhaps if you just leave it exposed it stays green?
Seems pretty silly to charge more for something that requires
less labor, but as Arlo Guthrie sez, "That's America!".
----
Josh Hayes, Department of Zoology, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
jahayes@miamiu.bitnet, or jahayes@miamiu.acs.muohio.edu

alan@ikkyu.Eng.Sun.COM (Alan Marr, Animation) (07/07/90)

In article <HUGHES.90Jul6085636@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU> hughes@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:
>In article <31477@cup.portal.com> mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert
>Thorson) writes:
>>Anybody know the scoop on this "broccoflower" vegetable?  I bought
>>one for $1.79 today after hearing about it on TV!
>>On TV, they said it is a cross between a broccoli and a cauliflower
>>which was discovered in a farm in Holland a couple of years ago.
>
>If I'm thinking of what you're thinking, this vegetable also goes by
>the name of Romanesco broccoli; it has pointed, spiraling flower
>arrangements and is a pale yellow-green.
>Cabbage (Brassica oleracea capitata)
>Broccoli (B. oleracea italica)

I think that Romanesque Broccoli is a distinct variety (of broccoli)
from the Broccoflower.  I have seen and eaten both.  They have the same
color, flavor, and general shape, but true Romanesque Broccoli has a
well formed recursive double nested spiral pattern of the buds,
sub-buds, sub-sub-buds, etc. whereas Broccoflower is jumbled up and
less organized.

I tried growing R. Br. last year, but it never headed out.  It went
straight to flowers.  I later found that this is called "bolting", and
may have been due to the cool temperatures when it was budding.

(c)Copyright 1990 Alan Marr.  Permission given for electronic transmission and
storage, but not for reproduction by mechanical, photographic, or optical means.
Disclaimer: I accept no liability. My opinions are not necessarily anyone elses.
"Extraordinary how potent cheap music is."  Noel Coward, Private Lives.

tweaver@ducvax.auburn.edu (WEAVER_TERESA) (07/07/90)

In article <31477@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes...
>Anybody know the scoop on this "broccoflower" vegetable?  I bought
>one for $1.79 today after hearing about it on TV!
>
>On TV, they said it is a cross between a broccoli and a cauliflower
>which was discovered in a farm in Holland a couple of years ago.

  When I saw these in the grocery store, I thought they were just
  cauliflower heads.  Reaching back in my memory (in other words, I
  may be off base here), when you grow cauliflower you tie the growing
  head up in the outer leaves.  My father told me this was to blanch
  the head -- ie, make it turn from green to white.

  My original thought was that some enterprising cauliflower farmer
  came up with a way to make more money for less work ;-)

  Teresa

aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu (a.e.mossberg) (07/07/90)

In <HUGHES.90Jul6085636@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU> hughes@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:

>Cabbage (Brassica oleracea capitata)
>Broccoli (B. oleracea italica)
>Brussels sprouts (B. oleracea gemmifera)
>Cauliflower (B. oleracea botyris)
>Kohlrabi (B. oleracea caulorapa)

According to my info, all of the above are cultivated varieties of kale.
If I remember right, broccoli goes back to roman times, and
cauliflower back to the 16th or 17th century. Don't know about the
others.

aem

--
a.e.mossberg / aem@mthvax.cs.miami.edu / aem@umiami.BITNET / Pahayokee Bioregion
State business is a cruel trade; good-nature is a bungler in it.

rlm@druhi.ATT.COM (MesenbrinkRL) (07/07/90)

According tAccording to an article the Summer '90 edition of The Grower's Edge, broccoflower
is a new cross between broccoli and cauliflower developed by the Dutch. It has
shape and texture of cauliflower and the green color and taste of broccoli.

For those of you who would like to learn about hydroponics, this is an excellent
magazine in my opinion. It is published 4 times a year for $19.95.
The address is The Growing Edge, New Moon Publishing, PO Box 1027, Corvalis, OR, 97339.

Bob Mesenbrink
Denver

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (07/09/90)

I tend to believe the story that these are just regular cauliflowers
which weren't tied up to shield them from the sun.  The pieces of
"broccoflower" around the edge of the head were partly white, where
they were shielded by the leaves.

Imagine that!  $1.79 for a cauliflower   )-;

ireland@ac.dal.ca (07/09/90)

In article <31547@cup.portal.com>, mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) writes:
> Imagine that!  $1.79 for a cauliflower   )-;

I hope everyone who can buy good produce at reasonable prices appreciates it.
I grew up in California and took it for granted. I've lived in Halifax,
Nova Scotia now for almost 4 years and am still shocked everytime I walk thru
the produce section of the grocery store.  Cauliflower here is sometime $5.00,
and it usually has lots of brown spots on it.  Produce here is very expensive
and is spoiling by the time it shows up in the store , except of course for
carrots and potatoes.

Anxious to return to California,  Keith

Keith Conover
Biochemistry Dept.
Dalhousie University
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Keith@ac.dal.ca

beede@sctc.com (Mike Beede) (07/10/90)

rlm@druhi.ATT.COM (MesenbrinkRL) writes:

>According tAccording to an article the Summer '90 edition of The
>Grower's Edge, broccoflower is a new cross between broccoli and
>cauliflower developed by the Dutch. It has shape and texture of
>cauliflower and the green color and taste of broccoli.

Well, apparently the Grower's Edge folks didn't taste one.  I did.  It
was pretty much cauliflower-tasting except not as good.  And I love
brocolli, so this ain't just sour grapes ;-).

Then again, maybe they really are just selling unblanched cauliflower
as ``broccoflower'' in at least some cases.

Also, $1.79 isn't so bad for cauliflower here earlier in the year.

P.S., Has anyone ever found a use for those green smooth avocados?
They seem pretty nasty to me compared to the wrinkly black ones (what
I call _real_ avocados).  They sure aren't made for eating by the
slice.

--
Mike Beede         Secure Computing Technology Corp
beede@sctc.com     1210 W. County Rd E, Suite 100

twain@blake.acs.washington.edu (Barbara Hlavin) (07/11/90)

In article <594@cbnewsb.ATT.COM> rlm@druhi.ATT.COM writes:

>According tAccording to an article the Summer '90 edition of The Grower's Edge, broccoflower
>is a new cross between broccoli and cauliflower developed by the Dutch. It has
I have seen this down at the Pike Place Market.  I would try it just for its
novelty, but I refuse to pay three times the price of either broccoli or
cauliflower for novelty alone.  It's not especially pretty, and if it tastes
like cauliflower, I'd just as soon buy cauliflower.

Has anyone actually *eaten* this thing?  If so, does it offer any subtle
variations of taste over either of its relatives?  Is there *any* reason
to pay an exorbitant price for this vegetable?  (E.g., does it sing, tell
jokes, turn shocking pink in the steamer?)

--Barbara

suh@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Gerald Suh) (07/11/90)

In article <4939@milton.u.washington.edu> twain@blake.acs.washington.edu (Barbara Hlavin) writes:
>In article <594@cbnewsb.ATT.COM> rlm@druhi.ATT.COM writes:
>>

>Has anyone actually *eaten* this thing?  If so, does it offer any subtle
>variations of taste over either of its relatives?  Is there *any* reason
>to pay an exorbitant price for this vegetable?  (E.g., does it sing, tell
>jokes, turn shocking pink in the steamer?)
>

>--Barbara

I've *eaten* this thing.  It was several months ago and if I remember
correctly, I payed a little under $2.00. Too much, I think.
This thing tastes a lot like cauliflower, but the texture is a little
softer.  I like my vegetables undercooked and crunchy but if you
are into leaching all of the vitamins out and destroying those that
aren't leached out, I don't think that you could tell the difference
between broccoflower and cauliflower.  The recursive shape of the
broccoflower is kind of cool, but that's about all.  Does it sing,
tell jokes, turn shocking pink in the steamer?  I haven't heard
of any such thing, but I have heard that if the unsuspecting
vegetable is cooked after midnight.....

Happy eating,

Gerald

dan@tinton.UUCP (07/13/90)

In article <1990Jul6.213628.13527@mthvax.cs.miami.edu> aem@Mthvax.CS.Miami.Edu writes:
>In <HUGHES.90Jul6085636@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU> hughes@blizzard.Berkeley.EDU (Eric Hughes) writes:
>
>>Cabbage (Brassica oleracea capitata)
>>Broccoli (B. oleracea italica)
>>Brussels sprouts (B. oleracea gemmifera)
>>Cauliflower (B. oleracea botyris)
>>Kohlrabi (B. oleracea caulorapa)
>

>According to my info, all of the above are cultivated varieties of kale.

Nope.  Kale: B. oleracea acephala

The B. stands for the genus Brassica.  Technically, I beleive that
all of the above (or any plant of the genus Brassica) are varieties
of mustard.  I think that are also known as 'cruciferous veggies',
being part of a family that either has four-pointed leaves or
four-petalled flowers (can't remember which) that are suggestive
of a cross.

Then again, the closest I've ever been to a vegetable garden is
the produce section...

Dan Masi             (dan@tinton.tinton.ccur.com)  201-758-7699
Concurrent Computer Corp.
106 Apple Street
Tinton Falls, NJ  07724

zs01+@andrew.cmu.edu (Zalman Stern) (07/24/90)

A colleague of mine brought some Broccoflower into work a while back. After
we got over the "I'm not eating any of that mutant fractal food" jokes, I
tasted some. Basically, its cauliflower with a slight broccoli flavor. I
love both broccoli and cauliflower and thought broccoflower tasted good but
not good enough to replace broccoli. The vegetable it self looks like a
spiraling minaret and has a texture pretty close to cauliflower. Due to
its interesting shape, broccoflower might lend itself to creative
presentations.

Sicnerely,
Zalman Stern