[rec.food.cooking] blue urine from food

throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) (11/03/90)

Bill Ellis asked about adultrants in candy that turn urine blue.

Several other posters said that methylene blue will do this.

I have also heard that an herb called bearberry has a similar effect.
Can anybody confirm?

David Throop

In article <999@ai.cs.utexas.edu>, throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
> Bill Ellis asked about adultrants in candy that turn urine blue.
> Several other posters said that methylene blue will do this.

	Yup, it sure will.

> I have also heard that an herb called bearberry has a similar effect.
> Can anybody confirm?

	Bearberry (uva ursis - what *else* would you call it in Latin ? :-))
contains tannic acid, gallic acid and a gluco[pyrano]side called arbutin.
Arbutin and/or its metabolic decomposition product results in green urine.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231   {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635                  {utzoo, uunet}!/      \aerion!larry

msgctr@calmasd.Prime.COM (Message Center) (11/28/90)

So bright, it looks like the soda Mountain Dew...

Of course, it only looks like that after I've taken my vitamin
packet... Quick too, take vitamins at 8:00 by 9:30 urine is
already in the running for most flourescent...
Is it possible, if I was totally emaciated, starved and sick,
that the urine wouldn't get so yellow?

Birny

wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us (Bill White) (11/29/90)

larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:

>In article <999@ai.cs.utexas.edu>, throop@cs.utexas.edu (David Throop) writes:
>> Bill Ellis asked about adultrants in candy that turn urine blue.
>> Several other posters said that methylene blue will do this.

>	Yup, it sure will.

>> I have also heard that an herb called bearberry has a similar effect.
>> Can anybody confirm?

>	Bearberry (uva ursis - what *else* would you call it in Latin ? :-))
>contains tannic acid, gallic acid and a gluco[pyrano]side called arbutin.
>Arbutin and/or its metabolic decomposition product results in green urine.

I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone comment on the OTHER effect of diet on
urine: namely, asparagus.  I'm not sure of the biomedical logistics, but I know
from experience that some of us have a problem digesting that wonderful, lovely,
fruit-of-the-earth, on account of the dreadful odor it imparts to one's urine.
I'm told this effect is harmless, that it is genetic and results from the
inability of some people to produce a certain enzyme (l-asparaginase, if I
remember rightly).

I'd almost be curious to take a poll here of how many of us know just what I'm
talking about and how many don't and I'd appreciate a more detailed explana-
tion of this phenomenon from the medical types amongst us.

Bill White
wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us

campbell@acsu.buffalo.edu (roger campbell) (11/29/90)

In article <21862@well.sf.ca.us> wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us (Bill White) writes:

>I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone comment on the OTHER effect of diet on
>urine: namely, asparagus.  I'm not sure of the biomedical logistics, but I know
>from experience that some of us have a problem digesting that wonderful, lovely,
>fruit-of-the-earth, on account of the dreadful odor it imparts to one's urine.
>I'm told this effect is harmless, that it is genetic and results from the
>inability of some people to produce a certain enzyme (l-asparaginase, if I
>remember rightly).
>
>I'd almost be curious to take a poll here of how many of us know just what I'm
>talking about and how many don't and I'd appreciate a more detailed explana-
>tion of this phenomenon from the medical types amongst us.
>
>Bill White
>wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us
I certainly know what you're talking about.  It takes only about 15-20
minutes before that odor would be present.  I don't think I would
classify it as "dreadful", but it certainly is strong, and distinctive.

    ..There is no indigestion worse than that which comes
            from having to eat your own words.

    Roger Campbell       State Univ. of New York at Buffalo
                         (716) 636-3547

     BITNET: CAMPBELL@UBVM
   INTERNET: campbell@acsu.buffalo.edu

In article <21862@well.sf.ca.us>, wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us (Bill White) writes:
> I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone comment on the OTHER effect of diet on
> urine: namely, asparagus.  I'm not sure of the biomedical logistics, but I
> know from experience that some of us have a problem digesting that wonderful,
> lovely, fruit-of-the-earth, on account of the dreadful odor it imparts
> to one's urine.  I'm told this effect is harmless, that it is genetic and
> results from the inability of some people to produce a certain enzyme
> (l-asparaginase, if I remember rightly).
>
> I'd almost be curious to take a poll here of how many of us know just what I'm
> talking about and how many don't and I'd appreciate a more detailed explana-
> tion of this phenomenon from the medical types amongst us.

	I do know what you are referring to, but in an indirect manner
as related by others.  Since I do not eat asparagus, I have no firsthand
knowledge of the "effect".  :-)

	The odor-producing substances excreted in the urine are believed to
be a mixture of methanethiol (similar to ethanethiol, used as an odorizer
for natural gas) and an amine derived from asparagine and succinic acid.

	 I believe that the precursor of the odor-producing substances
found in asparagus is not the amino acid asparagine per se, but is some
thio derivative of the amino acid methionine.  There have been papers
written on this topic (check Index Medicus), but I have not read them.

dave@convex.csd.uwm.edu (David A Rasmussen) (12/05/90)

From article <21862@well.sf.ca.us>, by wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us (Bill White):

> I'd almost be curious to take a poll here of how many of us
get asparagus urine. Ok, put me down for a yes.

Speaking of blue urine, if you eat enough blueberries, does the other human
waste turn a shade of blue as well?

--
Dave Rasmussen - Systems Programmer/Manager, UW-Milwaukee Computing Svcs Div.
Internet:dave@uwm.edu, Uucp:uwm!dave, Bitnet:dave%uwm.edu@INTERBIT

grm+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gretchen Miller) (12/07/90)

>Speaking of blue urine, if you eat enough blueberries, does the other human
>waste turn a shade of blue as well?

I don't know about blueberries, but beets will turn both types of waste
a rusty red.

gretchen miller
grm+@andrew.cmu.edu

rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu (Trouble) (12/10/90)

In article <4212@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
>In article <21862@well.sf.ca.us>, wjwhite@well.sf.ca.us (Bill White) writes:

>> to one's urine.  I'm told this effect is harmless, that it is genetic and
>> results from the inability of some people to produce a certain enzyme
>> (l-asparaginase, if I remember rightly).

I recall reading somewhere (how wonderfully specific of me, huh?!) that
the speed with which this effect is noticed is indicative of how well
your kidneys are working.  That is, if your kidneys are working well,
you'll notice the smell very quickly.

>> I'd almost be curious to take a poll here of how many of us know just what I'm
>> talking about and how many don't and I'd appreciate a more detailed explana-

Anybody else notice this effect from tomato-based spaghetti sauce?

Bob

--
rlp@beach.cis.ufl.edu  					    Air:  PP-SEL
AMA # 541283 				   		   Road:  750 Ninja