[rec.food.cooking] Yerba Luisa

eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) (03/10/91)

A friend of mine from Peru sent me a bag of something call "Yerba Luisa".

The stuff is very strange.  It looks like straw or possibly shaved
bark, yellow to light green in color and a faint, pleasant aromatic
(minty?) odor.  It makes a yellow tea which has a peculiar taste, hard
to describe.

Maybe I should have gotten a definite ID on the stuff before drinking it...
but, does any one know what this stuff is?

TTGATTGCTAAACACTGGGCGGCGAATCAGGGTTGGGATCTGAACAAAGACGGTCAGATTCAGTTCGTACTGCTG
Eric E. Snyder
Department of MCD Biology              ...making feet for childrens' shoes.
University of Colorado, Boulder
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0347
LeuIleAlaLysHisTrpAlaAlaAsnGlnGlyTrpAspLeuAsnLysAspGlyGlnIleGlnPheValLeuLeu

gav044@sarah.albany.edu (VLACHOS GEORGIOS) (03/10/91)

In article <eesnyder.668568249@beagle> eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) writes:
>A friend of mine from Peru sent me a bag of something call "Yerba Luisa".
>
>The stuff is very strange.  It looks like straw or possibly shaved
>bark, yellow to light green in color and a faint, pleasant aromatic
>(minty?) odor.  It makes a yellow tea which has a peculiar taste, hard
>to describe.
>
>Maybe I should have gotten a definite ID on the stuff before drinking it...
>but, does any one know what this stuff is?

  Hi

 What you have there is a special kind of tea that is very common in
South America ( here I will emphasize Argentina because that is the
country I am most familiar with and where you can also find Yerba).

  So Yerba is a very popular 'tea' in Argentina.  Yerba is actually
the name of the leaves while the tea itself is called mate. It is one
of the main  characteristics of the village, gaucho, way of life.  I
am  not sure exactly what it is made from but this is the way you
drink it :

  in Argentina there is this plant called the mate and from the root
of this plant they make a kind of wooden bowl after scooping out the
inside. Additionally there is this metal 'straw' ( this is quite more
difficult to describe) that you use to drink the mate ( it is called,
forgive my spelling -I might be wrong-, the bombilla).

  to prepare the mate you boil water, carefully so it just beggining
to boil;
  in the mate, the wooden bowl, you put a few teaspoons of Yerba and
some sugar, to your taste;
  you add the water up to the rim.
When you have finished this tea you refill the mate, the wooden bowl,
as many times as it takes for the yerba to loose its flavor. You also
add sugar periodically so it doesn't get bitter.

  The mate is normally drank in a circle of friends, where it is
passed from person to person : that is after one has drank once they
refill it again and pass it to the next person.

  As a note I have read in a book ( 'Don Segundo Sombra' by Ricardo
Guiraldes, it is now a film also) that the mate has many vitamins and
nutrients so that it is possible to avoid eating vegetables for a
while (beware you vegetarians :-) ) and not suffer which is how the
gauchos  in Argetina could stay healthy even though their diet was
basically  meat and few veggies (the pampas in Argentina do not offer
much in the way of vegetables).

					Enjoy  -- George

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| "Your dreams will betray you," sang the voice of the wind." Go |
|  nowhere on a horse that fades."				 |
|___________________________________________The Lords of Darkness|
|Georgios A. Vlachos,gav044@sarah.albany.edu|       -- Tanith Lee|
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

tos@oz.plymouth.edu (Tom Schlesinger) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.024715.9026@sarah.albany.edu> gav044@sarah.albany.edu (VLACHOS GEORGIOS) writes:
>In article <eesnyder.668568249@beagle> eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) writes:
>>A friend of mine from Peru sent me a bag of something call "Yerba Luisa".
>>
>the name of the leaves while the tea itself is called mate. It is one
>of the main  characteristics of the village, gaucho, way of life.  I
>am  not sure exactly what it is made from but this is the way you
>drink it :

   Just a little extra illustration to add to the previous msg, from which I
learned details about mate that I didn't know either:  Mate is so popular that
lots of people walk around on the street with their mate bottle sort of propped
under their arm and the sipping tube in their mouth.  I noticed it more in
Uruguay, i.e. in Montevideo than in Argentinian cities.  In my slides of the
Saturday flea market and used book stalls, the majority of men strolling around
and browsing are with mate.  I imagine the effect must be soothing, calming.

Tom Schlesinger                 BITNET: TOMS@PSC.PLYMOUTH.EDU
Social Science Department       UUCP(USENET): tos@oz.plymouth.edu
Plymouth State College          CompuServe: 74226,2167
Plymouth, NH 03264  USA         Tel: (603) 535-2498

--

jack@cs.glasgow.ac.uk (Jack Campin) (03/11/91)

gav044@sarah.albany.edu (VLACHOS GEORGIOS) wrote:
> eesnyder@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Eric E. Snyder) writes:
>> A friend of mine from Peru sent me a bag of something call "Yerba Luisa".
>> The stuff is very strange.  It looks like straw or possibly shaved
>> bark, yellow to light green in color and a faint, pleasant aromatic
>> (minty?) odor.  It makes a yellow tea which has a peculiar taste, hard
>> to describe.

>   So Yerba is a very popular 'tea' in Argentina.  Yerba is actually
> the name of the leaves while the tea itself is called mate.

It seems pretty clear from Eric's description that what he's got ISN'T
mate.  Mate makes a pale green tea that turns dark greenish-brown in a
few minutes.  The leaves used to make it are small, greyish-green, hard
scales somewhat larger than Indian tea leaves; they don't break up when
infused.  (Incidentally, they make a wonderful mulch for houseplants).
It smells a bit like China tea, and tastes rather like it too.

"Yerba" just means "herb", so lots of plants will have that in their name.
--
--  Jack Campin   Computing Science Department, Glasgow University, 17 Lilybank
Gardens, Glasgow G12 8QQ, Scotland   041 339 8855 x6854 work  041 556 1878 home

jeffl@sybase.Sybase.COM (Jeff Lichtman) (03/14/91)

> A friend of mine from Peru sent me a bag of something call "Yerba Luisa".

According to my Spanish/English dictionary, luisa is lemon verbena.
---
Jeff Lichtman at Sybase
{mtxinu,pacbell}!sybase!jeffl  -or- jeffl@sybase.com
"Saints should always be judged guilty until they are proved innocent..."