Date: Tue,  5 May 87 09:39:28 CDT
From: phil@rice.edu (William LeFebvre)
Subject:  Re: bibtex for suns?

We are running standard vanilla BibTeX here on our Suns without any
problems.  Do you have a recent distribution?  In the LaTeX/LaTeXbibtex
directory, there should be a shell file called "SUN-setup".  Make sure
you run this before making anything.  If you don't have it, here it is
in a nutshell:

    cp SUNMakefile Makefile
    cp bibext.VaxSun-c bibext.c
    cp bibtex.VaxSun-ch bibtex.ch

So bibext.c and bibtex.ch are the same for a Vax and a Sun.  The only
real difference in the Makefile is "PFLAGS = -w" instead of
"PFLAGS = -J -w".

Hope this helps.

			William LeFebvre
			Department of Computer Science
			Rice University
			<phil@Rice.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 05 May 87 10:29:43
From: escott@deis.uci.edu (Scott Menter)
Subject: Re: RCS on Sun 3.2?

Yes, the RCS stuff basically works.  I had the same question some time
ago, and a nice guy named Marc Shapiro
<ames!seismo!mcvax!inria!shapiro@cad.berkeley.edu> provided me with
the answers.  He said:

    In fact, I took the RCS sources from Berkeley 4.3, combined with
    'dif' and 'diff3' from Sun 3.2.  I promptly found one (only one)
    nil-dereferencing bug (core dumped on the 'rcs' program).
    Since then it's been working just fine.  Don't use the 4.2 sources,
    or the 3.0 'diff' or 'diff3'.

    Here is the only difference.  In rcsbase.h, add:

    #define STRCMP(a,b) ((a)? ( (b) ? strcmp((a),(b)) : 1 )\
			    : ( (b) ? -1 : 0) )

    In rcs.c, line 995, replace strcmp by STRCMP:

    995:               numr = STRCMP(num, next->delta->num);

In case you're not a fan of line numbers, following my signature is
the actual diffs.  The changes are surrounded by "#ifdef UCI".  It
really works -- have fun.

 Scott Menter  UCI ICS Computing Support Group   Univ. of Calif. at Irvine
                     (714) 856 7552              Irvine, California  92717

 Internet:  escott@ics.uci.edu             UUCP:  ...!ucbvax!ucivax!escott
 Bitnet:    escott@uci               CSNet: escott%ics.uci.edu@csnet-relay
 Internet (with Name Server):  escott@deis.uci.edu

+------------------ cut here for diffs -----------------------------------+
*** rcsbase.h   Tue Mar 24 15:38:26 1987
--- rcsbase.h-4.3BSD    Tue Mar 24 15:33:11 1987
***************
*** 292,304 ****
  /* set by rcs -o and used by puttree() in rcssyn */

  typedef int void;
-
- /* Somebody ought to really take the original version of this file, and
- ** make the following addition using RCS instead of just hacking it in
- ** like I did.  Unfortunately, I don't know RCS (yet), so...
- */
-
- #ifdef        UCI
- #define STRCMP( s1, s2 )      ((s1)? ( (s2) ? strcmp((s1),(s2)):1) \
-                                :     ( (s2) ? -1 : 0 ))
- #endif        UCI
--- 292,294 ----
*** rcs.c       Tue Mar 24 15:42:14 1987
--- rcs.c-4.3BSD        Tue Mar 24 15:34:06 1987
***************
*** 987,1000 ****
          dummy.nextlock=next=Locks;
          trail = &dummy;
          while (next!=nil) {
- /* One should make this change using RCS, but that will have to wait until
-    I learn it. This fixes a nil-dereferencing problem. (ESM, March 24 1987)
- */
- #ifndef UCI
                 numr = strcmp(num, next->delta->num);
- #else
-                numr = STRCMP(num, next->delta->num);
- #endif        UCI
                 if ((whor=strcmp(who,next->login))==0 &&
                    (num==nil || numr==0))
                          break; /* found a lock */
--- 987,993 ----

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 May 87 16:23:23 EDT
From: ajb%mwcamis@mitre.arpa (Alan J. Broder)
Subject: Bug in C compiler for f68881

Here is a very simple C program guaranteed to thoroughly confuse
the version 3.2 C compiler. Is this a known bug ?

(ajb)1-> cat crasher.c
double func()
:
        unsigned int x;
        double  sum;

        sum  += x;
:
(ajb)2-> cc -f68881 -c crasher.c
"crasher.c", line 6: compiler error: expression causes compiler loop: try simp\
lifying

                Alan J Broder
                ajb@mitre.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 05:23 EDT
From: "SDRRTR::PSI%HDSRTR::HDSRTR::MRGATE::\"MRGATE::PSI%SCRVX2::SIMON\"%slb-test.csnet"@relay.cs.net (Simon Barnes)
Subject: Re: Generating Sun2 binaries on a Sun3? (1)

cc and f77 both currently accept an -mc68010 switch which should produce
Sun 2 binaries.  I haven't tried it because we don't have any Sun 2's.

Simon Barnes
simon%m_scr%slb-test.csnet@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 12:13:52
From: richard%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Richard Tobin)
Subject: Re: Generating Sun2 binaries on a Sun3? (2)

I regularly do this.  (I assume you mean sun2/rel3 binaries; I've no idea
if you can produce sun2/rel2 binaries.)

I mount our sun2's /usr and /pub filesystems on the sun3 (as /pub.MC68010
and /usr.MC68010), and give ld flags -L/pub.MC68010/lib -L/usr.MC68010/lib,
and give cc the -m68010 flag.  It appears that ld will produce a sun2
binary (ie first 2 words 0001 010b) if all the files it's linking are
sun2 binaries, so you don't need to replace any of the compiler passes.
If you assemble any files, make sure you give the -m68010 flag to as.

I assume that doing this is not supported by sun, but it seems to work.
In particular, it works fine for Gnu Emacs.

Richard Tobin,                            JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,                ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@ucl-cs.arpa
Edinburgh University.                     UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin

------------------------------

Date: 5 May 87 04:03:04 GMT
From: ssc-vax!benoni@beaver.cs.washington.edu (Charles L Ditzel)
Subject: Sun 3/50 and SCSI disks?

Does anyone have any experience in or knowledge about the compatability of
a Sun 3/50 and a Jasmine 80 MB drive (26 millisecond access time)?
Assuming the drive is SCSI are there other problems (excuse my ignorance) ?

As the price of the Sun 3/50 has crept down to $5K ($4K at some Universities)
there may be an interest in finding a cheaper drive then Sun offers.

	Thanks in advance,
          Charles Ditzel
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!benoni

------------------------------

Date: 5 May 87 08:26:52 GMT
From: lubich%ethz.UUCP%cernvax.bitnet@berkeley.edu (Hannes Lubich)
Subject: Speech I/O on Sun 3/50?

Fellow Netlanders,
I would like to have my Sun speak to me (since nobody else does :-( ).
Therefore I would like to ask for information about products doing
speech input, output and maybe editing that can be conected to a Sun 3/50.
Since I'm not that familiar with HW things I just guess that I will need
a packet consisting of a vocoder, microphone, loudspeaker and some software
but I'd prefer to have one company selling this as one packet.
It would be a great advantage if the company has at least a sales office
somewhere in Europe.

Thanks in advance

        --Hannes

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 May 87 00:43:25 pdt
From: oster%lapis.Berkeley.EDU@berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Sun 3/50 as Mac 2 emulator?

There is a product called Magic Sac for the Atari ST that lets you load
Macintosh ROMs into an Atari to turn it into a Mac compatible. Does anyone
know of a similar product that will let me copy an image of the Macintosh II
Roms into a Sun 3/50 to turn the Sun 3/50 into a Macintosh II compatible?

End of SUN-Spots Digest