[comp.sys.sun] Sun-Spots Digest, v5n18

Sun-Spots-Request@RICE.EDU (Vicky Riffle) (06/18/87)

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Saturday, 13 June 1987       Volume 5 : Issue 18

Today's Topics:
                      Administrivia: press releases
                     Re: Undocumented le0: Messages?
                          Re: Fixing Sun memory
                               RCS for Suns
                                 Re: DWB
                       Re: speaking of swap space?
                             sendmail problem
                  Re: Sun workstations for the home? (1)
                  Re: Sun workstations for the home? (2)
                        Re: 3rd party disk drives?
                                 Sunview
                        Clean version of dbxtool?
                            Vi broken in 3.3?
                     Flow control for Sun 3/50 tty_?
                                  inetd?
             Request for info on sun!sunbugs and sun!hotline?
                   Dynamic SunView objects generation?
        Chemical structure drawing with Sun and its laser writer?
                   Replacing memory chips on Sun-3/50?
                              Mouse Clicks?
                             PC-NFS problem?
     Request for VME interfacing information (Sun, Silicon Graphics)?
                macpaint, tek4014, .rbi -> plot(5) files?
                          SUN-IPC on SUN-3/280 ?
                                 New Sun?
                          NFS, Ultrix GFS, rfs?
             X dies and leaves strange Sun keyboard mappings?
                           Memory for Sun-2/50
                  Bi-Directional Modem Port for Sun 2 ?
                      Sun 3 Principles of Operation?
                DUMP tapes created on a VAX under 4.3BSD?
                              Sun's DECnet?

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 87 09:47:45 CDT
From: Vicky Riffle <rif@eos.rice.edu> (Vicky Riffle)
Subject: Administrivia: press releases

24 voted "for" them, and 2 "against".  I will contact a Sun representative
and get Sun-Spots put on the distribution list for press releases.

vicky

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Jun 87 17:18:35 PDT
From: jeff@tc.fluke.com (Jeff Stearns)
Subject: Re: Undocumented le0: Messages?

In Sun-Spots Digest, v5n16, louden@gateway.mitre.org writes:

>    The following three error messages keep showing up at the console
>    as coming from the ETHERNET interface on our SUN 3/50s:
>
>    le0: Received packet with STP bit in rmd cleared
>    le0: Received packet with ENP bit in rmd cleared
>    le0: Receive buffer error - BUFF bit set in rmd
>
>    Our machines are running the straight 3.2 release.
>
>    QUESTIONS:
>
>    1) Can anyone tell me in what manual to find these?
>    2) Can anyone tell me what they mean?
>    3) Does anyone else get them?
>    4) Are these something we should be concerned about?
>       If so, why?
>       If not, why does SUN generate them?

I, too, have received these messages on my Sun-3/50.  I believe that the
Ethernet driver is informing you, somewhat obtusely, that it received a
packet larger than expected.  I believe that the presence of one or more
trailing bit(s) is what leads to these messages.  I've always imagined it to
be due to differences in the analog circuitry among transceivers.

I have never seen any documentation on this phenomenon.

I can make the messages go away by switching to another transceiver
(we're particularly happy with Cabletron transceivers and mux boxes).
--
    Jeff Stearns         206-356-5064                new:    jeff@tc.fluke.COM
    John Fluke Mfg. Co.                              old: uw-beaver!fluke!jeff

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 87 16:55:07 PDT
From: hoptoad.UUCP!gnu@cgl.ucsf.edu (John Gilmore)
Subject: Re: Fixing Sun memory

I had a very similar problem with the memory on the CPU board of my
3/160.  The diagnostics isolated the problem, though after reporting
the true error they went off into gaga-land reporting tons of errors
that were not there.  I too did not have the chart that maps
address-and-bit-number into chip location.  However, I was able to find
which chip to change through a friend.  I then submitted a big
screaming bug report saying that (1) Suns should not go down hard when
one bit goes away, they should configure it out and continue, (2) the
diagnostics should have worked, and (3) the user should be given the
information required to change the chip, e.g. the chart that shows
which bits of which addresses are in each chip.

Let's all push to get this info released.  It's utterly stupid that
Sun charges $1300 and 30 days to change a RAM chip, when with one more
page of documentation, we could do it ourselves, or take it to a local
computer service place and have it done by an experienced hardware tech.

	John

PS:  I am no great shakes at soldering, but I had no trouble taking out
the chip (you cut all the leads first, yank the chip, THEN unsolder the
leads from the board; that lets you grab and wiggle and pull 'em out)
and installing a socket in its place.  Plug in a new RAM chip, it worked
the first time.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Jun 87 20:46:26
From: megatest!eb@sun.com (Ed Blackmond)
Subject: RCS for Suns

It seems as though people are still having trouble getting RCS to work on
their Suns.  There are four basic problems:

1) Sun's C-library does not have the global variable _sobuf;
2) Sun's memory management scheme does not allow access to page zero;
3) Sun changed the relationship between free() and realloc();
4) Sun's cc doesn't support the -d2 option.

I'm including diffs to fix points 1, 2, and 3.  To fix point 4 just remove
the -d2 from CFLAGS in your Makefiles.  My Makefiles have changed too much
to include the diffs here.  I hope this helps.

Ed
-------- diffs follow:
diff OLD/rcs/rcs.c rcs/rcs.c
985c985
<                numr = strcmp(num, next->delta->num);
---
>                numr = num?strcmp(num, next->delta->num):1;
diff OLD/rdiff/diff.c rdiff/diff.c
3d2
< #include <stdio.h>
193d191
< 	free(p);

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Jun 87 11:35:39 pdt
From: ucbcad!ames!elan!jlo@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Jeff Lo)
Subject: Re: DWB

> From: mrst!esr%genrad.UUCP@talcott.harvard.edu (Eric S. Rose)
> Newsgroups: comp.sys.sun
> Subject: RCS for the Sun?
>
> 	Does anyone know where we can get versions of the
> 	following items for a Sun (4.2):
>
> 		2) Two programs that are part of AT&T Documenters Workbench:
> 			pic, and ditroff.
> 			(We might get the whole package, if necessary)

DWB 2.0 (as well as laser printer drivers and screen previewers) including
bug fixes and enhancements is available from:

	ELAN Computer Group
	410 Cambridge Avenue, Suite A
	Palo Alto, CA 94306
	(415) 322-2450
	..!{ames,hplabs}!elan!jlo

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 87 02:53:03 EDT
From: dpz@aramis.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman)
Subject: Re: speaking of swap space?

Good morning -

	On the subject of swap space, for really general use
(University student/programmer type) we have found that the machine
type doesn't matter nearly as much as the application.  3x memory is
more or less a minimum (we have two setups of 13 Sun 2/50s on a Sun
3/180 with Supereagle like this), 4x for normal use, and 5x for
extraordinary applications (eg, our 4M Sun 3/50s running Common Lisp).
We also have a standalone, general purpose Sun 3/280 with 4M of memory
and 74M of swap, although that seems a bit overkill, since our 16M
Pyramid has 84M of swap.

If you really want to optimize the space on your fileserver to shove a
maximum of clients on, I would suggest the following, with the caveat
that we practice here the law of "the consistant universe", ie, you
can log in on any client of a given server and see the same
view-of-the-world.

- move the executables not needed at boot (ie, until /pub and /usr are
mounted) out of the clients' /etc into /pub/etc, and put soft links
pointing appropriately.

- get rid of /private on the clients.  It is pretty useless.  After
you poof the /private, you want to resolve the links to it (/usr/spool
and others).

By now you will have *considerably* lessened the size of a client /.

- go in and repartition the disks.  (What's the use of freeing up
extra space if you don't put it somewhere useful?)  The sizes I used
(in cylinders) of each partition on a Sun 3/180 with one Supereagle
are:

/	standard 12 cyl
swap	25 cyl (~16M)
nd	300 cyl	= 10 clients * [ / 2 cyl + swap 28 cyl (~18M)]
/pub	11 cyl
/usr	192 cyl
/u1	300 cyl
	-------
	840 cyl

/u1 (user space) is the space hog.

Here is what "df" says about the whole idea:

Filesystem            kbytes    used   avail capacity  Mounted on
/dev/xy0a               7751    2772    4203    40%    /
/dev/xy0f               7081    6014     358    94%    /pub.MC68020
/dev/xy0h             125359  104393    8430    93%    /usr.MC68020
/dev/xy0d             195815   10060  166173     6%    /u1
/dev/ndl0               1235     399     712    36%    /mnt

More than 175M real user space available.  I ended up with ~700K free
on a client root after all is said and done, and I feel this is
adequate for most anything that will drop into /tmp.  I don't have
exceedingly much space on /usr, so I soft linked /usr/spool/mail to
/u1/mail, which has the added nice effect of only having to do quotas
on /u1, instead of both /u1 and /usr.  Your mileage may vary, lower in
California.

						dpz

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 87 10:50:56 PDT
From: jaw@sesun.jpl.nasa.gov (Joe Wieclawek)
Subject: sendmail problem

 >I have been having trouble sending mail from our SUNs to several hosts
 >(timeout after HELLO) including sri-nic.arpa. Using Eric Fair's
 >sendmail.cf file (@sri-nic.arpa <netinfo>sendmail-internet-generic.txt)
 >fixed the problem. When I find out the difference from what we were
 >using, I will pass it on.

I changed our old sendmail.cf to include "E=\r\n" in the M record:
Mether, P=[IPC], F=msDFMuCX, S=11, R=21, A=IPC $h, E=\r\n
and this makes it work.

Thanks to :
	scott@gateway.mitre.org
	dupuy@amsterdam.columbia.edu
	dplatt@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

Joe Wieclawek                   Mail stop: 602-145
Jet Propulsion Laboratory       Office: (818)354-2419	FTS: 792-2419
4800 Oak Grove Drive            jaw@sesun.jpl.nasa.gov
Pasadena CA     91109

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 87 05:13:44 PDT
From: weiser.pa@xerox.com (Mark Weiser)
Subject: Re: Sun workstations for the home? (1)

I have worked with a Sun at home connected via a phone line (first
4800 bps, now 9600 bps) running  SLIP (Serial Line IP).  Slip is available
from Sun as part of their router software, or you can anonymously ftp it
from mimsy.umd.edu, or the original is from rick@seismo. The mimsy version
has a name like slip.shar, or sunslip, or something like that. (My
connection to mimsy is down at the moment so I can't check).

Anyway, SLIP gets your home sun onto the network (meaning you can
run ftp, rcp, rlogin, telnet, even NFS, transparently), but even 9600 baud
is not very convenient for running NFS directly.  I simply did all my work
on the machine that was closest (home or work), but when I left that machine
to go to the other place I would start an rdist or rcp of the
relevant files.  I lived half-an-hour from work, and that was always
more than enough time to make my files consistent.  (I manage to get an
effective 700 bytes/sec with rcp using SLIP and my 9600 baud modem
[Racal 9600vp], and that translates into 1.25 megabytes in half an hour).

-mark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 09 Jun 87 13:44:51 EDT
From: ted@braggvax.arpa (Ted Nolan)
Subject: Re: Sun workstations for the home? (2)

You might consider SLIP.  This is a protocol that runs tcp/ip over the sun
serial ports.  You can then do all your network type stuff like smtp,
rcp, telnet, rlogin, rsh etc over the wire.  I don't know about NFS though,
if you can, it'll probably be sloooowwww.

SLIP is PD (written by Rick Adams and Chris Torek) and available (I think)
in pub/sl.shar.Z on seismo.css.gov.  We haven't used it much yet, but it
does work.

				Ted Nolan
				ted@braggvax.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jun 87 10:17:00
From: mcvax!inria.inria.fr!shapiro@seismo.css.gov (Marc Shapiro)
Subject: Re: 3rd party disk drives?

> Date: Thu 28 May 87 14:01:55-PST
> From: SPRINGER@star1.stanford.edu (George Springer)
> Subject: 3rd party disk drives?
>
> 	Earlier this year we got a standalone Sun-3/160 with a Fujitsu 2322
> 130Mbyte SMD drive and a Xylogics 450 controller. We're running short of
> disk space faster than expected so we're in the market for another drive that
> could be hooked up to this controller without conflict with the 1st drive.
>
> 	As is usual in academic situations, money is tight. On the other hand,
> our expertise with this stuff is very limited - we don't want to have to
> write our own device drivers.
>
> 	So if you can suggest a drive model that we should investigate
> and/or a place to buy them that offer good prices, we would greatly appreciate
> it.

We have bought the following configuration :
* NEC D2362 800 Megabyte disk drive
* Cyprico VME/SMD controller (don't know model number)
* Rimfire driver
The whole package was sold to us by Digital Design France for approx.
110,000F which is under $18,000.  That's 58% of Sun's list price for a
470 Mb Fujitsu Eagle !!  The US price will certainly be even lower.

The disk itself is faster than an Eagle and the controller/driver is a lot
better than Sun's.  Globally performance is at least 10% better than with an
Eagle + Xylogics.

The drawback is that Digital Design France are pretty much incompetent.
Their standard formatting was way off the track (it caused the controller to
be incapable of reading more than one sector per track per revolution !) and
the driver was badly bugged, causing bad crashes.  However we have here a
wonderful disk guru who fixed it all, and sent back the mod's to DD.  What
they now distribute works just fine.

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jun 87 14:54:47 GMT
From: fulk@cs.rochester.edu (Mark Fulk)
Subject: Sunview

Observation: if you create a frame with window_create, supply
argc and argv as FRAME_ARGS, but do not supply a FRAME_ICON
(and a null pointer won't do), the -WI command line argument
has no effect.  I'd hazard a guess that window_create uses the
supplied icon_image to hold the user-supplied icon.

fulk@cs.rochester.edu

------------------------------

Date: 31 May 87 14:36:38 GMT
From: trwrb!cepu!ucsbcsl!bertrand@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Bertrand Meyer)
Subject: Clean version of dbxtool?

	Our version of dbxtool on the Sun-3 has the unpleasant tendency
to die without warning or possible recovery. Does anyone have a clean
version?

Bertrand Meyer, Interactive Software Engineering
270 Storke Road, Suite 7 - Tel (805) 685-1006
Goleta, CA 93117

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 02 Jun 87 10:04:12 EDT
From: ted@braggvax.arpa (Ted Nolan)
Subject: Vi broken in 3.3?

Normally, whenever I do a script command, I take the trailing cr's (^M's)
off in vi when I am done.  I do this with

		:g/^V^M/s//

(The ^V quotes the ^M and doesn't really show up).

In 3.3, this doesn't work anymore.  The ^M is interpreted immediately as
a cr and the replace bombs.

Has anyone else noticed this or is it just us?

				Ted Nolan
				ted@braggvax.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 3 Jun 87 12:55:13 EDT
From: mjj@aplvax.arpa (Marshall J. Jose)
Subject: Flow control for Sun 3/50 tty_?

     I'm working with a SUN 3/50 and I'd like to connect a serial output
device to the SUN's tty_ port.  To my total frustration, Sun refuses to
support CTS/DTR flow control with their tty driver; only XON/XOFF is
supported.  This is fine (personally, I'd like all systems use it), except
when one wishes to route the serial output through a peripheral share
device which uses only CTS/DTR.  Sun tells me that they're working on
a patch, & that they'd cheerfully sell (!) me the patch when they finish
it.  In any event, I know that the Z8531 ASCC chip Sun uses can support
CTS/DTR flow control in hardware, so enabling that is no big deal, right?
     In short, is there anyone out there who knows a cheap way to
enable CTS/DTR flow control on ttya/b?

	Many Fangs, Marshall Jose
		    JHU/APL
		    mjj@aplvax

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Jun 87 08:21:55 EST
From: davy@intrepid.ecn.purdue.edu (Dave Curry)
Subject: inetd?

Has anyone modified Sun's inetd (3.2 or 3.3) to let servers take
arguments, like 4.3BSD's?  It's a real pain not to be able to
pass arguments to the servers (of course, if ftpd is any example,
Sun just ripped out all the code pertaining to the documented
options anyway...).

--Dave Curry
Purdue University

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Jun 87 13:47:40
From: nancy%WISDOM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Alex Polyak)
Subject: Request for info on sun!sunbugs and sun!hotline?

Could anyone send me some info on sun!sunbugs and sun!hotline.
Who is standing behind those groups?
What are the terms and quality of support that may be obtained from
those groups?

Thanks.
        Thank You

        Alex Polyak

        E-mail: ihnp4!talcott!WISDOM!nancy
        uucp:   ihnp4!talcott!WISDOM!nancy
        ARPA:   nancy%wisdom.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
        BITNET: nancy@wisdom

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 4 Jun 87 13:42:47
From: nancy%WISDOM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu (Alex Polyak)
Subject: Dynamic SunView objects generation?

We are implementing  SunView application that M U S T dynamicly create
windows ( Frames ) and Subwindows ( Panels, Canvases, Text W ...).
I didn't find any useful info on the subject in SunView manuals.

All examples I saw, so far, are defining all windows and subwindows
that they intend to use, before calling window_main_loop() to
start themselves.

So, the question is:

     Is it possible to create SunView subwindows and windows dynamicly ?
     And if the answer is YES, how this may be implemented.

Please mail me personally and I will post the summary ( If there will be
enough interest of course ).

Thank you.

Date: 2 Jun 87 17:31:53 GMT
From: cmcl2!cucard!proexam!rocky2!cowburn@seismo.css.gov (David Cowburn)
Subject: Chemical structure drawing with Sun and its laser writer?

Does anyone know of a program for the SUN3 and its laser writer output
that can edit and print chemical line structure drawings? There are some
reasonable quality products for the PC and HP plotter( e.g. "WIMP"), but
would like to ba able to use the high quality postscript/lw on the SUN
if possible.  Of course, like everyone else  we like free software, but
I's look seriously at anything competitvely priced with "WIMP".

Would be willing to post a summary of replies, if there are many.

Thanks.

David Cowburn. The Rockefeller Univeristy, New York
cowburn@rockefeller.arpa / cowburn@rockefeller.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 3 Jun 87 17:08:43 GMT
From: cmcl2!phri!roy@seismo.css.gov (Roy Smith)
Subject: Replacing memory chips on Sun-3/50?

	One of our Sun-3/50's died with a parity error at physical address
342E84 (mapped to some low virtual address).  The PROM-based memory diag
(address option) fails at PA=00342E84, exp=00342E84, obs=00742E84,
xor=00400000.  The write/read test fails (exp=AAAAAAAA, obs=AAEAAAAA) at
the same address.  Examining that location, using either the 8-bit, 16-bit,
or 32-bit examine/deposit commands from the PROM monitor, gives a parity
error.  As far as I can tell, no other locations give errors.  This is all
repeatable.

	It sure looks like a stuck-at-1 fault at a single bit in one of the
RAM chips.  If it were a whole chip, or something wrong with the chip
select logic, I would expect to see blocks of bad locations, which I don't.
If they interleaved the chips, I would expect to see every 2nd (or 4th or
8th) location bad; I don't see this either.

	If I could just figure out which chip in the 8 x 18 array on the
board was bad, I could swap it with a new one.  Yes, I know unsoldering
chips on a 4-layer board is not trivial, but it can be done, with care.
Problem is, Sun won't tell me; they say it is company confidential, and
that if they help me fix it, they become liable if I break it worse than it
is now.  They want $1300 to fix the board on a 30-day turnaround, or $3k
for 7-day turnaround.  I can almost buy a whole new workstation for that
amount!

	So, does anybody know the address-and-bit-within-word to chip
mapping on the Sun-3/50 CPU board?  I *could* try scoping the data pins on
the board, but that's sort of a last resort.
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jun 87 18:08:35 GMT
From: cod:jmichael%nosc.UUCP@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (James A. Michael)
Subject: Mouse Clicks?

Hello SUNworshippers,
     We  are developing what we hope will be a high  productivity
workstation,  using SUN-3 systems,  and want to take advantage of
any   features   which  would  help  Navy  operators  using   the
workstation.  So far, we are using the mouse buttons as follows:

     Left button for menu selection
     Middle button for HELP functions (context dependent)

My  question is this:  What functions/operations have  other  SUN
users  applied to the mouse buttons?   Are multiple mouse  clicks
used/useful?   We're  looking for good ideas or suggestions  from
others  with  previous  experience.    If  there  is  significant
response, I will post a summary.  Thanks in Advance.

                                        Jim Michael @ NOSC

Phone: (619) 225-7571 or -2685
ARPA: jmichael@nosc.mil   (preferred)
UUCP: {ihnp4,ucbvax,dcdwest,seismo}!sdcsvax!nosc!cod!jmichael

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jun 87 00:15:30 GMT
From: jwc@bdrc.com (Joan Curry)
Subject: PC-NFS problem?

Can anyone offer any suggestions about diagnosing a problem I'm having
with PC-NFS?  The symptoms are *very* slow, but erratic, performance
on the PC (like it can take up to two minutes to list a mounted
directory with 3 files in it, on an otherwise idle network), plus
numerous messages indicating the PC is not getting expected packets
from the Sun server (not ready error reading drive D:, server <server>
is not responding, <server> is not the name of any known host, unable
to contact pcnfsd on <server>, etc).  This happens with all commands
I've tried that use the network.  Unhappily, I didn't start installing
it until after the warranty had expired.

My system is:
  Sun 3/260 server for nfs and yp, running 3.2 (works fine with Sun
	clients)
  Compaq Portable II Model 3, running Compaq MS-DOS 3.1, with 3Com
	ethernet card and no other extra cards and no resident
	software except the PC-NFS stuff (two identical Compaqs and
	3Com cards, same problem on both.  I've also tried IBM PC-DOS
	3.0 with no improvement)
  DEC DELNI, standalone, with regular ethernet transceiver cable (I've
	tried using the same DELNI port and cable that are known to
	work with one of the Sun clients)

Miscellany, and other things I've tried:
  "netstat -i" on the Compaq always gives a higher number for Ierrs
	than for Ipkts, but not twice as high.  (I don't know exactly
	what "input packet errors" means, though.) "netstat -b" and
	nfsstat don't say anything that looks strange to me.
  The 3Com card passes its diagnostics "with flying colors," but of
	course that uses the BNC connector rather than the DIX. (Yes,
	I've got it set for the DIX now.)
  Etherfind on the Sun shows a regular back-and-forth pattern between
	server and PC, and looks like the Compaq is retransmitting
	most of its outgoing packets, often several times.
  The Compaq tech reference guide indicates the default I/O base
	address and interrupt level are OK, and I wasn't sure about
	the DMA channel so I've tried it with DMA channels 1 and 3
	(have also tried interrupt level 5).

I'd appreciate any help I can get, by mail.  I'd also like to hear
from anyone who has a configuration similar to mine and has got it
working.  Thanks.

--
Joan Curry  -  Becton Dickinson Research Center  -  mcnc!bdrc!jwc

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jun 87 20:15:24 GMT
From: sundc!suntri!black!dwight@seismo.css.gov (Dwight Frye)
Subject: Request for VME interfacing information (Sun, Silicon Graphics)?

We need to design a VME compatible card which will be used in a Sun 3
computer. There is also an interest in designing the board so that it
would operate in a Silicon Graphics machine.  We need any general VME
interfacing document, specific documentation about interfacing to the
Sun 3, and information about interfacing to the Silicon Graphics machine.

Also helpfull would be any pointers to an available VME prototyping board
which would have the buss interface electronics already provided on the
card.

Please MAIL any responses so the news groups will not get cluttered.
Thanks in advance for any help that anyone might be able to give me.

Dwight R. Frye

  USPS: Spectral Effects, Inc. / P.O. Box 37153 / Raleigh, NC  27627
 Phone: 919.859.0370
  UUCP: {seismo!mcnc!rti, sun}!suntri!black!mjones

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jun 87 06:30:04 GMT
From: wyle%ethz.UUCP%cernvax.bitnet@berkeley.edu (Mitchell F. Wyle)
Subject: macpaint, tek4014, .rbi -> plot(5) files?

Can some kind soul please tell me how to convert Sun "pixrect" files
(with .rgi or .rbi extensions) into "plot" files for use with a tek4014
terminal?

We want to take digitized images from a camera, and download 'em via
a tek4014 terminal emulator to a mac, whence we can paste them in
documents, etc.

Shell scripts, pointers, and any other help would be most appreciated.

As always, if there are a lot of "me too's," I'll summarize to the net.

--
Mitchell F. Wyle           | csnet or arpa:  wyle%ifi.ethz.ch@relay.cs.net
Instituet fuer Informatik  | uucp:           wyle@ethz.uucp

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 87 14:42:09
From: wwtz%cgcha.UUCP%cernvax.bitnet@berkeley.edu (Wolfgang Wetz)
Subject: SUN-IPC on SUN-3/280 ?

We are planning to upgrade our 3/180 servers to 3/280. The configuration
guide of sun microsystems indicates a "no" for the implementation of the
IPC on the 3/2xx series. Is there anybody out there who has tried to run
the IPC on the 3/280?

Please respond directly. If of general interest I will post the summary
to the net.

All comments are highly appreciated.

Wolfgang Wetz      (...!mcvax!cernvax!cgcha!wwtz)
c/o CIBA-GEIGY Ltd., CH-4002 Basel, Switzerland, P.O. Box

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jun 87 17:30:11 EDT
From: KFL@ai.ai.mit.edu (Keith F. Lynch)
Subject: New Sun?

Please excuse the simple questions, but we recently got our new Sun
3/160 and I can't find these answers anywhere in the documentation:

1) All these neat toolsets such as SunView and Curses - are described
   in terms of how to use them from C.  How does one use them from
   Fortran and Pascal?

2) How can we get a procedure to automatically run at a certain time
   every day?

3) How can we get the BSD Pascal to read single characters from the
   keyboard without waiting for a CR?

4) How can we get the BSD Pascal to check to see if a key on the
   keyboard has been pressed (like KEYPRESSED in Turbo Pascal)?

Thanks.
								...Keith
------------------------------

Date: 3 Jun 87 23:07:14 GMT
From: ubc-vision!calgary!vuwcomp!edward@seismo.css.gov (Ed Wilkinson)
Subject: NFS, Ultrix GFS, rfs?

Can anyone out there using Ultrix 2.0 tell me about Dec's GFS? Is it a
Unix-based thing similar to rfs? I'm interested in how it fits in with
NFS & the various pros & cons. We're due to get Ultrix 2.0 *Real Soon
Now* :-) I've also heard that a recent port of Unix supports BOTH rfs
& NFS. Does anyone know anything about this?

Please reply via email. Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jun 87 19:45:18 GMT
From: mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa (Michael Khaw)
Subject: X dies and leaves strange Sun keyboard mappings?

We have a Sun 3/50 user running X V10R14(?).  Occasionally, X dies, and when
it does, the keyboard transmits strange codes.  The only fix I know is to cycle
power on the Sun.  Is there a more intelligent fix for this?

Thanks,
Mike Khaw
--
internet:  mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa
usenet:	   {hplabs|sun|ucbvax|decwrl|sri-unix}!mkhaw%teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 87 10:51:37 EDT
From: toense@icst-osi (Robert E. Toense)
Subject: Memory for Sun-2/50

I have an old diskless Sun-2/50 with 1 Meg of ram. The original
owners bought an additional Meg which was never installed. It
appears that the jumper settings for the starting address of
memory are not correct and I have no documentation.

I tried getting information from Sun without success as I don't
want to pay more for them to tell me how to install the board
they sold us.

Does anyone know how to set the jumpers?

By the way, I am not trying to generalize about Sun's
cooperation, they have in general cooperated very well with me. I
just seem to be dealing with the wrong part of the corporation
now.

Please respond directly to:

    toense@icst-osi.arpa

Robert E. Toense
(toense@icst-osi.arpa)

phone: (301)975-2930

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Jun 87 20:50:22 cdt
From: seismo!umnd-cs!umn-cs!meccts!zycad!kjb@sun.UUCP (Kevin Buchs)
Subject: Bi-Directional Modem Port for Sun 2 ?

I just moved our usenet node to a Sun 2.  Really it is an HHB Cats box.
Can anyone help me out with making a modem port bidirectional?

1.  Is is possible without switching it manually?

2.  If not, how can I switch it manually?

3.  I started on reconfiguring the kernel - as it suggests in the
	system administrator's manual.  However, I got lots of
	undefined globals on the link for vmunix.  Make crashes.
	If the list of u.g. would help I can supply.

I know one could just call Sun if supported.  I am not sure of the
status of this machine, OEMed to HHB and traded to Zycad.

--
Kevin Buchs   3500 Zycad Dr. Oakdale, MN 55109  (612)779-5548
Zycad Corp.   {rutgers,ihnp4,amdahl,umn-cs}!meccts!nis!zycad!kjb

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 9 Jun 87 17:02:46 PDT
From: Purdy.pa@xerox.com (Alan Purdy)
Subject: Sun 3 Principles of Operation?

Help O Sunspots Sun Gods!

Some virtual memory operating systems (MVS, VMS, VM) allow a process to
control the r/w protection of pages in its virtual address space.  Unix
in some versions allows this through the call to mprotect().  It appears
that this feature does not work in Sun's Unix implementation.  Sun has
recently removed all references to mprotect() from their manuals (4.3).

I would like to mark selected pages read-only, then trap to my routine
on the first attempt by my program to write on each of these pages.
Then, I would like to do a little housekeepping prior to resuming at the
offending instruction.

Does anyone out there know how to do such things?  Our local Sun
technical support has been of no help in this one.

Thanks,
Alan Purdy

Purdy.pa@Xerox.com
Xerox Parc/NW
10220 SW Greenburg Rd
Portland, OR 97223
313 293-4311

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 10 Jun 87 13:10:02 GMT
From: IAN%UK.AC.PCL.LYNX@ac.uk (Ian O'Brien)
Subject: DUMP tapes created on a VAX under 4.3BSD?

Does anyone know of a program that allows a sun with a magtape
drive to read DUMP tapes created by a VAX running 4.3BSD?

Sun's restore program doesn't work as the Sun dump writes
file information differently. We're taking a 750 out of our
UNIX service & replacing it with a Sun 3/280 and obviously
need to be able to read the archived dump tapes we have

Ian O'Brien  Systems Programmer
    Polytechnic of Central London Computer Services

JANET: ian@uk.ac.pcl.lynx
 EARN: ian%uk.ac.pcl.lynx@ukacrl or ian%uk.ac.pcl.lynx@ac.uk
BITNET: ian%uk.ac.pcl.lynx@ukacrl or ian%uk.ac.pcl.lynx@ac.uk
 ARPA: ian%uk.ac.pcl.lynx@cs.ucl.ac.uk
 UUCP: ...!mcvax!ukc!pcl-lynx!ian

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 87 20:11:34 GMT
From: bcsaic!phyllis@june.cs.washington.edu (Phyllis Melvin)
Subject: Sun's DECnet?

Does anyone have experience with Sun's implementation of DECnet?
I'd be interested to know how it compares with DECnet-Ultrix and
DECnet-VMS.  Dependability?  Functionality?  Ease of use?  Problems?

--
Phyllis Melvin		uucp:     ...uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!phyllis
(206)865-3210           arpanet:  phyllis@boeing.com

End of SUN-Spots Digest