Date: Wed, 1 Jul 87 09:14:28 PDT
From: marleen@sun.com (Marleen Martin McDaniel)
Subject: press release - SUN ANNOUNCES NEW EDUCATIONAL SERVICE OFFERINGS

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- June 30, 1987 -- Sun Microsystems, Inc., today
announced two new service programs specifically for its educational and
non-profit institutional customers.  The On-Site Service Center and
Cooperative Maintenance Service programs, available today, allow Sun
and Sun educational and institutional customers to work together to
provide the best service and support needs required by these
institutions.

"Approximately 15 percent of Sun's revenues for fiscal year 1986 came
from the educational and nonprofit institution market", said Robert
Lux, vice president and general manager of Sun's Customer Service
Division.  "Universities characteristically have a high volume of
workstations at a single site.  Our existing service offerings have
been expanded to best meet the service and support needs of these
customers".

On-Site Service Center, Sun's lowest cost on-site hardware service,
provides weekly service to educational and non-profit institutional
customers with 25 or more workstations.  Under this service, a Sun
Field Engineer provides on-site maintenance on a predetermined day each
week at a designated work area at the Customer's site.  All materials,
travel, and labor are included in the low monthly price.

With Cooperative Maintenance Service, Sun assists the customer in
establishing and maintaining a self-maintenance capability for Sun
hardware.  With this program the customer receives a designated Sun
account manager to assist with service issues; phone support by Sun
engineers for hardware maintenance issues; access to Sun diagnostic
software for resolving system errors; on-line access to abstracts of
Sun's engineering change orders; and a recommended spares inventory
plan tailored to meet the customers' field service objectives.  Also
provided is a copy of Sun's internal Field Engineer's Handbook to
assist in resolving customer problems, and discounts on assembly repair
services.

These two new programs supplement Sun's comprehensive product line of
customer service offerings which include hardware maintenance, software
support, customer education, and consulting.  Earlier this quarter Sun
introduced SunPartners, a comprehensive support program for Sun OEM
customers, and two Network Services to support Sun's networking products.
Sun has 59 service locations worldwide, including 41 in the U.S.

Sun Microsystems supplies distributed computing systems based on
standards, including technical workstations, servers, UNIX system
software, data communication products and networking software.  Sun has
shipped more than 36,000 workstations and board-level products
worldwide to OEMs and technical end-users in the computer-aided design
and manufacturing, factory automation, artificial intelligence,
software engineering, electronic publishing, automated test and
financial services markets.  Sun Workstations are installed in more
than 500 universities worldwide.

Press Contact:  Kim Miller, Sun Press Rel

Sun-Spots-Request@RICE.EDU (Vicky Riffle) (07/07/87)

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Tuesday, 7 July 1987         Volume 5 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:
     press release - SUN ANNOUNCES NEW EDUCATIONAL SERVICE OFFERINGS
                 getting Sun CORE to work with Suntools?
                       VME - VME adapters for SUN?
          for sale: 2x71MB disk & 60MB cartridge tape subsystem
         anyone tried QIC-120 or QIC-150 cartridge drive on Sun?
                             Sun-3 keyboards?
                       Second disks for Sun 3/52's?
                   Adams-Russell Speech Proc. Periph.?
                      Re: 3/160 disk errors (v5n19)?
              thanks and a question on graph(1) and plot(1)?

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 87 09:14:28 PDT
From: marleen@sun.com (Marleen Martin McDaniel)

[...]

Press Contact:  Kim Miller, Sun Press Relations (415) 691-7583

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 87 20:12:08 GMT
From: cmcl2!phri!nomi@seismo.css.gov (Nomi Voroba)
Subject: getting Sun CORE to work with Suntools?

I can't imagine Sun's CORE package to be incompatible with Suntools,
but I can't seem to get them to work together.

I am interested in using the CORE facilities to create segmented pictures,
with the ease of Suntool's menues, icons, buttons, etc.

How do I go about getting these two facilities together?

Please email responses to me, I'd appreciate any info.

--
Nomi Voroba...Guberman
{allegra, philabs}!phri!nomi

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jun 87 19:59:16 GMT
From: cmcl2!cucard!rna!owen@seismo.css.gov (Owen Smith)
Subject: VME - VME adapters for SUN?

	Does anyone have experience or advice about VME-VME adapters ?
We want to program and control a separate VME chassis full of 68K processors
from a SUN (probably 3/160). We are aware of the Bit 3, HVE and Performance
Technology adapters. Each one seems to be suboptimal. The Bit 3 is only 24bit,
the HVE and the Performance Tech both seem to be simple repeaters and allow
all cycles from either machine to cross to the other. The Performance Tech does
seem to have a primitive switching mechanism to decouple the two buses. The
Bit 3 is bank switched that seems better but unfortunately only support 24bit
VMEs.
	We would like one that support a full 32bit VME, and would in some
way allow sufficient decoupling of the SUN VME from the multiproc VME so that
routine cycles on the SUN VME (such as to the graphics adapter or any disk
controllers) would not impact on the performance of the multi-procs.
We are also aware of arrangements like back-to-back DR-11W (DMA parallel
interfaces) but feel those schemes don't provide the degree and style of
connectivity we want.
	Another solution suggested by folks a MIT involves stripping the SUN
3/160 by changing the 3/160+graphics for a 3/110 board, thereby removing the
major source of bus contention on a 3/160C. Of course, if you have spare 3/110s
lying around...
	Any ideas ?

				Cheers,
				Dan Ts'o  Owen Smith
				Dept. Neurobiology	212-570-7671
				Rockefeller Univ.	...cmcl2!rna!dan
				1230 York Ave.		rna!dan@nyu.arpa
				NY, NY 10021

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Jul 87 22:40:11 PDT
From: grand!day@uunet.uu.net (Dave Yost)
Subject: for sale: 2x71MB disk & 60MB cartridge tape subsystem

You know, the standard subsystem for the 3/160, Order Number 512A.

Cheap.

--dave yost

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 03 Jul 87 22:46:05 PDT
From: grand!day@uunet.uu.net (Dave Yost)
Subject: anyone tried QIC-120 or QIC-150 cartridge drive on Sun?

I'm inclined to try hooking up a Tandberg QIC-150 SCSI
cartridge tape drive to my 3/160.  Anyone have any
experience with 3rd-party cartridge tape drives on Sun?

--dave

------------------------------

Date: Sat 4 Jul 87 15:48
From: CPR@xx.lcs.mit.edu (Christopher Ryland)
Subject: Sun-3 keyboards?

Does anyone else feel that these Taiwanese keyboards are really
crummy?  They're quite stiff.  Going back to an Ambassador or
Wyse seems like a dream.

Does Sun have any higher-quality keyboards as an option?

Does anyone make Sun-clone keyboards yet?

Nitty point, but when you type all day, it grows on you.

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jul 87 22:49:56 GMT
From: nosc!humu!uhccux!stampe@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (David Stampe)
Subject: Second disks for Sun 3/52's?

 I'm looking for a second disk for a Sun 3/52 workstation, and though
I can just afford another of Sun's 70mB disks, I could use more space
than that if I can find something as reliable within my budget.  This
has been discussed here before, I'm sure, before our site came online,
so please e-mail.  (I'll be glad to forward what I get to anyone else
who's interested.)  Please note that I'm just a hacker, with no prior
knowledge of disks, drivers, or their formats.  No advice you wish to
add will be wasted.
 Include vendor names, prices, and addresses if you can.   Thank you.

David Stampe, Linguistics, Univ. of Hawaii, Honolulu HI 96822
uhccux!stampe@NOSC.MIL               (808) 396-9354, 948-8602

------------------------------

Date: 4 Jul 87 09:42:13 GMT
From: lubich%ethz.UUCP%cernvax.bitnet@jade.berkeley.edu (Hannes Lubich)
Subject: Adams-Russell Speech Proc. Periph.?

I recently got a pointer to a Vocoder named "Lincoln" by
Adams-Russell Speech Processing Peripheral to be connected
to SUN equipment.
Does anybody know about this vocoder or how to contact the
company manufacturing/selling it ?

Thanks a lot

        --Hannes
--
 UUCP/Usenet   :   {known world}!seismo!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!lubich
 CSNET         :   lubich%ifi.ethz.chunet@relay.cs.net

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 6 Jul 87 15:54:57
From: mcvax!inria.inria.fr!shapiro@seismo.css.gov (Marc Shapiro)
Subject: Re: 3/160 disk errors (v5n19)?

> Date: Tue, 9 Jun 87 09:00:14 EDT
> From: pwha@kirk.cc.rochester.edu (Bill Haake)
> Subject: 3/160 disk errors?
>
> We have been having some problems with our Sun 3/160. We get the
> the following error messages at the rate of about 2 or 3 per day.
> These are examples only, the error can occur on any partition
> and it can be either a read or write reset.
>
> xy0g: read reset (lost interrupt) -- blk #266528, abs blk #336448
> xy0h: write reset (lost interrupt) -- blk #207452, abs blk #718052

I too have errors in a similar configuration: frequent read or write retries
due to ECC errors.  At first it was every couple of days, then one a day,
then every hour; the rate built up slowly over a period of maybe 6 months.
(Our configuration is 1 year old).  Recently it became so bad that blocks
couldn't be re-read.  Finally block 16 became unreadable, causing the whole
root partition to be lost.

Sun came, took everything apart, replaced the controller, the VME-Multibus
interface, and the cable.  We re-wrote every block on the disk to make the
ECC errors go away, and all was fine.  That was 2 weeks ago.  And now...
it's starting all over again!  The errors are re-appearing.

Any help would be appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jul 87 13:58:59 EDT
From: ndd@cs.duke.edu (Ned D. Danieley)
Subject: thanks and a question on graph(1) and plot(1)?

I now understand how to use 6250 bpi on the Fujitsu tape drive: if
you set HOST on the density select switch on the front panel, minor
devices 0 and 4 are 1600 bpi, and 8 and 12 are 6250. This is for
writing a tape; it's supposed to automagically set for reading. This
is covered in the system administration manual under the dump
procedure, which I hadn't bothered to read.

Didn't hear from anyone who has moved a high-res monitor away from
a server. I've had good luck using two of the cables that Sun
supplies; this is enough length for me, and doesn't seem to have
affected the picture. I'm going to replace the cable that I took
from my 160 with a joystick extender cable from Radio Shack; I think
it'll work fine.

No one seems to have worked up a new font for the 280 that would
look like screen.r.11 (or 12).

Now for another question: we have several users that like to use
graph(1) and plot(1), but there isn't a sun filter. Before I write
one, has anyone else done such a thing? The default plotting mode
(using characters) isn't appreciated here.

Ned Danieley
Basic Arrhythmia Laboratory
Duke University Medical Center
ndd@duke or ndd@dukebar

End of SUN-Spots Digest

Sun-Spots-Request@RICE.EDU (Vicky Riffle) (07/08/87)

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST           Wednesday, 8 July 1987         Volume 5 : Issue 23

Date: Mon, 6 Jul 87 15:54:57
From: mcvax!inria.inria.fr!shapiro@seismo.css.gov (Marc Shapiro)