[comp.sys.sun] Sun-Spots Digest, v5n63

Sun-Spots-Request@RICE.EDU (William LeFebvre) (11/24/87)

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST         Monday, 23 November 1987      Volume 5 : Issue 63

Today's Topics:
                              Re: ESDI disks
                          Re: SunOS and Sun 2's
                          Re: UNIX plot(5) tool
                     Re: Lifetime of Sun B&W monitors
                         Desk calculator utility
                         process limit under 3.3
                      yp problem after server crash
                  Problem with sockets between 2.3 & 3.x
                Help printing large file on a laserwriter
                 Help with permission problems on server
                    query on FAX interfaces for Sun-3s
                            Licensing question
                     Locating a fault in an Ethernet?
                   no upper interface for 802.3 packet?
                       Problems with SCSI on 3/110?
                        CAI package for Calculus?
                  BSR X-10 serial controller available?
                             rcs for the Sun?
                    Where to get a 2GB backup device?
                           Sunview C++ classes?
          printcap and screendump filter for LaserJet Series 2?

Date:    16 Nov 87 22:17:55 GMT
From:    Peter Marshall <peter%julian%math.waterloo.edu@relay.cs.net>
Subject: Re: ESDI disks

John T. Nelson mentioned that Highland Digital (really of Palo Alto, not
Mtn. View) sold disks for desk-top Sun systems.  The price he gave was
about $2500 for the 155MB.  Perhaps this is for a disk that is just
plugged into an existing box.

The prices that I just got were $3995 for a disk that you can plug into a
desk top sun.  They will not have the larger 300MB disk ready for a few
months.  Universities get a 20% discount.  Highland Digital also sells two
disk units, disks bundled with a tape unit and a stand-alone tape system.

Their telephone number is 415-493-8550.

Peter Marshall, Data Comm. Manager
CCS, U. of Western Ontario, London, Canada N6A 5B7
(519)661-2151x6032
pm@uwovax.BITNET; pm@uwovax.uwo.cdn; peter@julian.uucp; ...!watmath!julian!peter

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Nov 87 19:44:57 PST
From:    mangler@csvax.caltech.edu (Don Speck)
Subject: Re: SunOS and Sun 2's

It makes perfect sense that Sun-2's won't be supported by SunOS 4.0, at
least not with the current boot proms.  Sun-2's boot by requesting sectors
1 through 15 of public net-disk zero (ndp0); but ND is slated to disappear
in SunOS 4.0, so this won't work any more.  Will new proms be available to
make Sun-2's boot via tftp, like Sun-3's?  At what cost?

Don Speck   speck@vlsi.caltech.edu  {amdahl,scgvaxd}!cit-vax!speck

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 17 Nov 87 10:17:03 EST
From:    jacob@nrl-rjkj.arpa (Rob Jacob)
Subject: Re: UNIX plot(5) tool
To:      rlb@xxriacs.edu
Cc:      Sun-Spots@rice.edu

Saw your msg in sun-spots.  I too always wondered why there wasn't a plot
filter for sunwindows, it seemed like there should be.  I have written a
quite modest one, which I used to use on ver. 2 of sun OS.  It still
compiles and runs on ver. 3, but it is written with the old style sun
windows calls from ver. 2, so the code is not as pretty as it could be.
I'll attach the code to the end of this message.  {CODE DELETED from
Sun-spots copy -- send me (jacob@nrl-css.arpa) a msg if you want it}

Good luck,
Rob Jacob

ARPA:	jacob@nrl-css.arpa
UUCP:	...!decvax!nrl-css!jacob
SNAIL:	Code 5590, Naval Research Lab, Washington, D.C. 20375

[[ Mr. Jacob, would you be interested in placing a copy in the Sun-Spots
archives?  --wnl ]]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu 19 Nov 87 16:03:43-EST
From:    C. P. Yeske <CY13@te.cc.cmu.edu>
Subject: Re: Lifetime of Sun B&W monitors

In reference to the deterioration of the picture of the monitors: Most
monitors need adjustment far more often than the well built TV.  The
actual lifetime of the monitor is quite high, often exceeding ten years
with proper care and maintenance.

I would suggest sending your monitor back to Sun under their repair
program, most monitors run $500-700 for repair and adjustment.  Either
that, or get your equipment under a contract, where this will be covered.

Do not try to adjust the monitor yourself, as it requires direct exposure
to the super high voltages.  Some of the newer monitors may have some
adjustment controls on the outside, but these will cost more money to
purchase.

Curt Yeske
Technical Administrator
Carnegie Mellon Computing Services
CY13@te.cc.cmu.edu

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed are my own and are not Carnegie Mellon's.
	The facts are figments of my imagination anyway.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 19 Nov 87 18:18:22 CST
From:    Hans Boehm <boehm@rice.edu>
Subject: Desk calculator utility

A desk calculator utility has been posted to the sun-source archive as
calc.shar.01-04 .  As the names imply, the four files are in shar format.
They should be run as shell scripts in the same directory.  The four files
together total slightly under 170K.

The calculator performs arithmetic on real numbers represented essentially
as functions capable of producing arbitrarily precise rational
approximations.  It tries to give the illusion that what you see on the
screen is a finite window on an infinite object.  It is possible to, for
example, display PI on the screen, and then scroll arbitrarily far to the
right to look at more and more digits of PI.  (It can also be used to do
more ordinary things like convert between hexadecimal and decimal.)  The
ideas behind the underlying arithmetic package are described in a paper
entitled "Constructive Real Interpretation of Numerical Programs", SIGPLAN
'87 Proceedings, SIGPLAN Notices 22, 7 (July 87), pp. 214-221, and in some
of the references given there.  Some more details are included in the
archived files.

The calculator is posted in the form of (uuencoded, compressed) Sun 3
object files (to be decoded and linked by a supplied Makefile on the
receiving end.) Source was not supplied, since the code is written in
Russell and thus not especially useful without the corresponding compiler.
Both the compiler and source are available to those who are really
interested (i.e.:  willing to pay a $50 distribution fee for a tape.)
Neither Sun 2 nor Sun 4 executables can be easily generated, since there
is no corresponding compiler back end at the moment.  A 68881 should not
be required to run the executable, but I have no easy way to verify that.

The arithmetic package and calculator were developed by Vernon Lee
(lee@titan.rice.edu) and myself.

					Hans-J. Boehm
					boehm@rice.edu

[[ It's like having infinite precision.  It's great!
But then, I'm biased.  --wnl ]]

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 17 Nov 87 11:46:18 mst
From:    ed arnold <era@scdsw1.ucar.edu>
Subject: process limit under 3.3

A Sun-3/280 running 3.3 can be brought to its knees by a single user, thru
exhaustion of the process table.  The following ugliness in
/usr/sys/conf/param.c essentially defeats the per-user process limit
that's been in unix since v7:

	#undef MAXUPRC
	#define	MAXUPRC	(NPROC - 5)

Unless your system is inhabited by perfect users ;-), you should
fix the above.

Ed Arnold * NCAR (Nat'l Center for Atmospheric Research)
PO Box 3000 * Boulder, CO  80307-3000 * 303-497-1253
era@scdsw1.ucar.edu * era@scdpyr.UUCP

------------------------------

Date:    Sun, 15 Nov 87 19:04:09 MST
From:    paul@boulder.colorado.edu (Paul K. Harter Jr.)
Subject: yp problem after server crash

If I've missed a discussion of this in the past, my apologies, could
someone point me to the right archive?

We are running several client/server subnets, and on one in particular,
something wierd happens occasionally when the server crashes.  Some of its
clients go catatonic attempting to re-connect to ypserv.  The only thing
that seems to work is rebooting the client, which makes everything fine.
It seems as though there are points in the yp protocol where service can't
be interrupted or the client gets hung in a bad state.

Has anyone seen this?

Server:  3/160 w/ 2 eagles on one controller
Client: 10 3/50's diskless

Thanks.

paul

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Nov 87 22:00:53 GMT
From:    Andrew J Cole <ajcole%ai.leeds.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Problem with sockets between 2.3 & 3.x

Any ideas why this "fails" with Release 3.x but not Release 2.3?
Are we missing something vital?

/*
 *       Author:    Andy Martin (email: andy@uk.ac.leeds.dcs).
 *         File:    infinite.c.
 *         Date:    Mon Nov 16 11:16:18 1987.
 *
 *      Purpose:    This program causes some suns to go into an infinite loop
 *                  which cannot be terminated without re-booting. It also
 *                  stops any other user user processes running.
 *                  It has been tried on sun 3/160 Release 3.4, 3/50 under
 *                  3.4 and sun 2/50 & 3/50 Release 3.0.
 *                  It works correctly on a 2/120 Release 2.3
 *
 *                  Basically what happens in this single process (it used to
 *                  be two: server and client), is that a socket is created
 *                  makesock (), and then connected to in getsock ().
 *
 *                  The process then exits, WITHOUT removing the socketfile;
 *                  this causes the system to crash! Normally, the scenario
 *                  would be to have the "server" running in the background
 *                  servicing any requests by "clients" connecting to the
 *                  socket. However, if the "server" dies inadvertantly,
 *                  without removing the socket then the system bombs.
 *
 *                  This, is quite a natural task to want to do, so it seems
 *                  somewhat dubious on Sun's part .....
 */

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/socket.h>

#define SOCKETFILE          "/usr/tmp/sf"

struct sockaddr sname = {AF_UNIX, SOCKETFILE};
int s, slen = sizeof (sname);

int main  ();
static int getsock  ();
static void makesock  ();

int main (argc, argv)
char *argv[];

{
    unlink (SOCKETFILE);    /* remove SOCKETFILE if already there */
    makesock ();
    s = getsock ();
    sync ();                /* sync disks before the crash! */
    exit (0);
}

static void makesock ()

{
    if ((s = socket (AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) == -1)
        perror ("socket");
    else if (bind (s, &sname, slen))
        perror ("bind");
    else if (setsockopt (s, SOL_SOCKET, SO_REUSEADDR, 0, 0))
        perror ("setsockopt");
    else if (listen (s, SOMAXCONN))
        perror ("listen");
}

static int getsock ()

{
    if ((s = socket (AF_UNIX, SOCK_STREAM, 0)) == -1)
        perror ("socket");
    else if (connect (s, &sname, slen))
        perror ("connect");
    else
        return (s);
}

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Nov 87 10:56 EST
From:    PAUL <BESL%gmr.com@relay.cs.net>
Subject: Help printing large file on a laserwriter

I'm trying to print a PostScript file which is about 130K on a Sun
laserwriter.  When I do an "lpq" it says the file is in the queue and the
lights on the printer blink, but nothing gets printed.  The lights stop
blinking and then lpq says the queue is empty.  Could it be that the file
is too large for the printers buffer(s).  It would be nice if some sort of
an error message was produced somewhere.  Is it possible to increase the
memory size of the printer?

By the way, a smaller file of about 119K does print ok.

jim marselle
GM Research Labs
marselle@gmr.com

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 19 Nov 87 13:39:29 est
From:    mlijews@nswc-wo.arpa
Subject: Help with permission problems on server

Ever since I installed my second disk and repartitioned the first one, I
have been having what I believe to be some type of permission problem.
Normally, I run on the server as myself and just keep an su'ed window open
to monitor things.  But when I brought the system up after the
repartitioning, starting suntools gave me the error:

	child of tty exited w/ return code 1

whereupon all of my windows were trashed.  Redisplaying left me with a
windowless screen from which I can get lockscreen running, yet have never
succeeded in getting a window to work.

To get around this problem I now come up as root and su - to myself.  This
has not proven to be completely satisfactory either.  I have been getting
errors such as:

	pwd
	pwd: getwd: can't open ..

as well as others which I have failed to write down under the assumption
that they were all related to the same problem.

None of this happens if I log on or even rlogin to one of the client
machines.  I have checked and double cheched the permissions on such
things as /vmunix and /dev/kmem but everything seems to be kosher.  I also
reconfigured the kernel when I repartitioned the disks for some other
goodies that are still gleems in my eyes, but otherwise the two
configuration files are identical. The only non-standard kludge I'm using
is the adb fix to nfs_server.o to allow root access over the Ethernet.

Has anyone seen this before and/or have any ideas on what to try next?  I
have talked to a couple of Sun engineers about this to no avail, but not
having any software support I haven't been able to talk to any of the
people in California.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

Mike Lijewski	( mlijews@nswc-wo.arpa )
Code R44, Bldg. 427
NSWC
Silver Spring, MD  20903

------------------------------

Date:    18 Nov 87 19:22 EST
From:    moore.wbst@xerox.com
Subject: query on FAX interfaces for Sun-3s

I would like to get a Fax interface for my Sun 3/110.  Looking at the
Catalyst, I don't see any mention of any hardware/software of these type.
I would be grateful for any suggestions of pointers.

Thanks,

Lee Moore
Xerox Webster Research Center
Moore.wbst@xerox.com
rochester!rocksanne!lee
+1 716 422 2496 (telephone)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Nov 87 15:27:16 GMT
From:    Richard Tobin <richard%aiva.edinburgh.ac.uk@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Licensing question

We have a vax running 4.2 and several suns.  We have a source license for
the vax, but not the suns.  Can anyone tell me whether it would be legal
to transfer part of the source to our suns and compile it there (with
modifications)?  If not, how about cross compiling on the vax and copying
the .o files?

Richard Tobin,                        JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,            ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nss.cs.ucl.ac.uk
Edinburgh University.                 UUCP:  ...!ukc!ed.ac.uk!R.Tobin

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 19 Nov 87 11:36:01 EST
From:    sunvice!proxftl!tomh@sun.com (Tom Holroyd)
Subject: Locating a fault in an Ethernet?

We have a 3/280 with about 20 IBM-PCs running PC-NFS.  We use the PCs as
terminals.  Whenever one of the flamed thinwire connectors gets kicked or
something, the whole net goes down.  Question: how to tell which connetion
is busted?

Tom Holroyd
UUCP: sun!sunvice!proxftl!tomh

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 17 Nov 87 09:12:03 EST
From:    dunigan@ornl-msr.arpa (Tom Dunigan 576-2522)
Subject: no upper interface for 802.3 packet?

We have just brought up DECnet on Sun 3/160 and we get the following
repeated in our console window:

ie0: no upper interface for 802.3 packet
ie0: no upper interface for 802.3 packet
ie0: no upper interface for 802.3 packet

What incantation will quiet this dribble?

thanks
  tom
    dunigan@ornl-msr.arpa

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Nov 87 23:14:42 EST
From:    berger@datacube.com (Bob Berger)
Subject: Problems with SCSI on 3/110?
Cc:      hotline@sun.com

Has anyone seen the following problem when using a Sun 3/110 with a SCSI
disk:

If you have another bus master (other than the Sun CPU and SCSI
controller) that is VERY fast and is acessing the VMEbus as much as it can
on a continuous basis, we get messages about the SCSI disk having problems
reading and writing.  Sometimes it crashes the Sun when it can't swap.

We are trying to determine if the problem is with our bus controller or is
inherent in the Sun SCSI design. I'm wondering if the SCSI system demands
a certain speed of response from the bus that the arbitration logic can't
meet?

				Bob Berger

Datacube Inc. Systems / Software Group	4 Dearborn Rd. Peabody, Ma 01960
VOICE:	617-535-6644;	FAX: (617) 535-5643;  TWX: (710) 347-0125
UUCP:	berger@datacube.COM,  ihnp4!datacube!berger
	{seismo,cbosgd,cuae2,mit-eddie}!mirror!datacube!berger

------------------------------

Date:    15 Nov 87 20:00:52 GMT
From:    cabreraad@clvax1.cl.msu.edu (Alan Cabrera)
Subject: CAI package for Calculus?

I would like to get my hands on a CAI package that would assist calculus
students in learning calculus.  More specifically, I would like a graphics
package that would graphically portray the method of computing volumes by
cross sections and cylindrical shells.

The student should be able to select simple formulas and view the shape on
the screen.  The student should also be able to select the number of
washers/cylinders to be used to approximate the volume of the object and
view the new set of washers/cylinders.

Does such a package exist?  It would be nice if the package ran on a Sun
workstation.  I don't mind a package that would have to be purchased but
prefer a PD program.

Thanks.

Alan D. Cabrera                      Bitnet: 13501adc@msu
Computer Laboratory                Internet: cabreraad@clvax1.cl.msu.edu
Room 400d Computer Center
Michigan State University
East Lansing, Michigan 48824-1042

------------------------------

Date:    17 Nov 87 17:16:42 GMT
From:    mckay@ee.ecn.purdue.edu (Dwight D Mckay)
Subject: BSR X-10 serial controller available?

I just saw an add for a BSR X-10 controller which connected to a serial
line.  You sent commands to it and it in turn controlled lights and
appliances connected to BSR X-10 boxes.

Sadly the place selling them had soldout.

Does anyone know if these gadgets are still available somewhere?  I'd like
to hook on up to a Sun for home control...  Does Radio Shack still carry
BSR X-10 equipment?  Do they have a serial line based controller box?

[[ Yes.  They call it "Plug -n- Power".  I think I have even seen a serial
line-based controller box there, but I'm not sure.  I understand that
Heath (as in Heathkit) also sells BSR equipment.  Or you might try DAC.
--wnl ]]

--Dwight Mckay, ECN Workstation Software Support
[arpanet: mckay@ee.ecn.purdue.edu, usenet: ...ihnp4!pur-ee!mckay!dwight]
[Compu-serve: 75776,1521,    office: EE 348B,     phone: (317) 494-3561]

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Nov 87 11:54:14 EST
From:    berger@datacube.com (Bob Berger)
Subject: rcs for the Sun?

How do I get Revision Control System (RCS) for the Sun 3?

UUCP:	berger@datacube.COM,  rutgers!datacube!berger, ihnp4!datacube!berger

Date:    Wed, 18 Nov 87 19:51:52 +0200
From:    jh@tut.fi (Juha Hein{nen)
Subject: Where to get a 2GB backup device?

I saw in Summer 87 Uniforum show a 2GB backup device which used small
video cartridges.  Is it now a product and if so what is the address of
the manufacturer?  Has anyone got any experience with it or a similar
product?

Juha Heinanen
Tampere Univ of Technology
UUCP: tut!jh

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Nov 87 11:55:45 MST
From:    hao!nbires!cadnetix!sharp@rutgers.edu (Jim Sharpe)
Subject: Sunview C++ classes?

The Sunview programming interface is already very nicely object oriented
(at least as far as practical in plain C).  It would seem a logical
extension to create a set of classes in C++ corresponding to sunview
objects (frames, icons, menus, etc...).  Does anyone know if someone has
already done this?  I would hate to reinvent anymore wheels.

		Jim Sharpe   Cadnetix Corporation
		5757 Central Ave. Boulder, CO 80301
		UUCP: nbires!cadnetix!sharp	(303) 444-8075

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 19 Nov 87 11:01:36 -0500
From:    adam@prophet.bbn.com
Subject: printcap and screendump filter for LaserJet Series 2?

I am looking for a Sun printcap entry for a LaserJet Series 2 printer and
a screen dump filter.  Does someone out there have either of these?

Thanks in advance,

/Adam

P.S. I am not yet in this mailing list -- please send responses to
adam@bbn.com

End of SUN-Spots Digest