[comp.sys.sun] Sun-Spots Digest, v6n165

Sun-Spots-Request@RICE.EDU (William LeFebvre) (08/05/88)

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Wednesday, 3 August 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 165

Today's Topics:
                        Re: using resolver on Sun (2)
           src changes to 3x to boot 4x on Interphase controler
            Large kernel startup failure for 3.5: SUN HAS FIX
                            Client Disk space
                         sound conversion on Suns
                    Questions on periphs for Sun 386i
                      Problems with forwarding mail
                     Interphase V/SIO driver and 4.0?
               SUNOS4.0 / Road Runner -- Enet sensitivity?
                     Data General Terminal Emulator?
                           NeWS Calendar Tool?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots@rice.edu
"archive-server@rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Fri, 22 Jul 88 17:09:30 MDT
From:    dbd%benden@lanl.gov (Dan Davison)
Subject: Re: using resolver on Sun (1)

>Is it possible to configure the system for using the resolver library with
>the binary distribution of SunOS 3.4 or 4.0?
>	Didier Lamballais		lamballais@irisa.fr
>[[ There is a way to configure the yellow pages hostname server so that it
>will ask the name resolver if it cannot find the name in its own database.
>But I do not know offhand how to do that.  --wnl ]]

Don't do it.  You will be very, very sorry, especially under 4.0.  It's
real easy to set up; however, sun cannot get the yp/resolver connection
working properly.  For instance, if you have both,: all, yes all, requests
go to the resolver.  The yp results are not "authoritative" (a partial
quote from the error message) so it asks the name resolver.  Things sort
of worked here in 3.4 (it was metastable) but the word went out to the
380+ suns here this morning to drop the name server completely and keep
your own host table + yp maps.

Under 4.0 if the resolver is running in the presence of 4.0 ypserv and the
resolving host is down, your server and clients will not boot...even if
they are on a subnet.

Sun's handling of the Internet is awful to non-existant.  When they say
"the network is the solution" they *don't* mean the Internet. They mean a
nice little homogenous TCP/IP net with no connections to the outside world
and only 6-10 Suns.  It's been a continuing and considerable
disappointment here.  Sun has sent several "fixes" which weren't.

dan davison
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Los Alamos, NM 87545

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 26 Jul 88 13:12:08 EST
From:    munnari!cad.oz.au!shand@uunet.uu.net (Mark Shand)
Subject: Re: using resolver on Sun (2)

ypserv has a special undocumented -i flag that tells it to consult the
resolver if its own lookup fails.  My impression is that to use the
resolver library you must run YP.

Mark Shand

------------------------------

From:    Charles Jerian <cpj@citi.umich.edu>
Date:    9 Jul 1988 11:43 EDT
Subject: src changes to 3x to boot 4x on Interphase controler

This are modifications to 3xxxx sunstand to allow one to generate a 3xxx
botstrap that can boot 4xxx kernels.  This is handy for booting disks on
controler by  Interphase and Ciprico.  This kit is for the Interphase
Disk. This is a shar file.  It contains diffs to sun src for 3xxx and the
sun makefile.

[[ The shar file has been placed in the archives under "sun-source" as
"bootfix.shar".  It is 36218 bytes long.  It can be retrieved via
anonymous FTP from the host "titan.rice.edu" or via the archive server.
For more information about the archive server, send a mail message
containing the word "help" to the address "archive-server@rice.edu".
--wnl ]]

This is a shar file it generates a binary kit for the interphase disk
it lets you boot sunos 4.0 from an interphase Cheetah controller.
if you have interphase roms.

[[ I don't like putting binaries in the archives, but in this case I'll
make an exception.  The shar file containing uuencoded binaries hasbeen
stored under "sun-source" as "bootfixbinary.shar".  It is 59929 bytes
long.  --wnl ]]

------------------------------

Date:    22 Jul 88 20:54:43 GMT
From:    tekbspa!tss!joe@uunet.uu.net (Joe Angelo)
Subject: Large kernel startup failure for 3.5: SUN HAS FIX

** The below is true under SUNOS3.5 and maybe under SUNOS3.Xanything ***

We've experienced a problem with large kernels generating trap, address,
or exception errors when being loading, err, booting.

After we install ALL SUNLINK products installed in the kernel (MCP, INR,
SNA3270, DNA/DNI, X.25, OSI, etc.) our kernel grew rather large. When
booting, the following occured (consistantly):

        Boot: xy(0,0,0)vmunixSUNLINK
        Load: xy(0,0,0)boot
        Boot: xy(0,0,0)vmunixSUNLINK
        Size: 590588Address Error, PC fetch at 000A5864

Sometimes the address error was an exception error.

Contrary to what some SUNOS expert say, SUN does have a fix in the form of
a new /boot file. Please reference my SO# (193050) if you are experiencing
the same problem when booting large kernels.

Many thank to Linda B. for verifying the problem existed and finding the
fix! @>--->------

Sinc,

                Joe Angelo -- Senior Systems Engineer/Systems Manager
 @>--->-----    at Teknekron Software Systems, Palo Alto 415-325-1025

		joe@tss.com - uunet!tekbspa!joe - tekbspa!joe@uunet.uu.net

[[ Mr. Angelo later sent me the README file for the mentioned fix:  --wnl ]]

"Larger" kernel fix

	   The following ""/boot"" programs are being supplied for
	   SunOS 3.2, 3.4 and 3.5 systems:

	   Standalone
	   Sun Unix 3.2, Sun2: /usr/sunlink/osi/sys/boot_sun2_3.2
	   Sun Unix 3.2, Sun3: /usr/sunlink/osi/sys/boot_sun3_3.2

	   Diskless Client
	   Sun Unix 3.2, Sun2: /usr/sunlink/osi/sys/boot_sun2_3.2
	   Sun Unix 3.2, Sun3: /usr/sunlink/osi/sys/ndboot.sun3.private_3.2
	   Sun Unix 3.2, Sun3: /usr/sunlink/osi/sys/ndboot.sun3.pub0_3.2
	   Sun Unix 3.2, Sun3: /usr/sunlink/osi/sys/ndboot.sun3.pub1_3.2

	   In all cases:

		Kernel (text + data + bss) must be < 740000

	   This is an approximate size, gleaned from testing -- it is
	   possible that systems significantly larger will run.

	Diskful Systems
	   After copying the new boot program into /boot, the
	   normal boot sequence will then use the new boot program
	   to boot kernels up to 740000 bytes. If you wish to boot from
	   your original boot program, use the following sequence
	   (replacing "xy" with the appropriate device for your machine;
	   typing "b vmunix" to the monitor and immediately aborting
	   will show you what device boot and vmunix reside on).

	Note: If you get a series of 'Y's or "Boot:"s after the first
	      command, simply abort and repeat the command (as shown).

	   	>b -a
		Boot: xy(0,0,0)vmunix -a
		Load: xy(0,0,0)boot
		Boot: YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

			[HIT L1-A to abort]

		Abort at EF2504
		>b -a
		Boot: xy(0,0,0)vmunix -a
		Load: xy(0,0,0)boot
		Boot: xy()boot_pre_osi_5.2 -a
		Size: 24252+5428+82836 bytes
		Boot: xy()vmunix.sunsun.large
		Size: 57450+86236+56844 bytes
		Sun UNIX 5.2 Release 3.2 (SUNSUN) #12: Fri Jan 29 08:48:06 PST 1988

	Diskless Systems
	   Please see boot(1) for information regarding the installation
	   of the boot programs listed above (""ndboot"" for Sun3 systems,
	   ""boot"" for Sun2 systems). boot(1) is included with SunOS 3.2+
	   documentation. The section entitled ""nd: The Sun Network Disk
	   Service"" in the ""Sun Netowrk Services"" section of the
	   ""System Administration" manual may also be useful.

	   After installation everything should run as before, except
	   that you will be able to boot larger kernels.

	Generic Kernels
	   "Generic" kernels cannot be booted with the new ""boot""
	   programs. This means that the following lines cannot
	   be included in kernel configuration files (see config(8)):

			+--------------------+
			| config ... generic |
			| ident GENERIC      |
			| options GENERIC    |
			+--------------------+

	   The relevant information must be specified instead explicitly
	   in the configuration file.

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Jul 88 23:27:41 CDT
From:    drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu (David R. Linn)
Subject: Client Disk space

Yes, the client is taking up space. If you set up for a second 3/50 under
SUNOS3.X, it is using about 23MB. Under SUNOS4.0, it will be a bit less.
To know for sure:

3.X: check the /etc/nd.local file on the 3/260
4.0: use du(1) on /exports/root/<2ndclient> and "ls -l" on
	exports/swap/<2ndclient>

	 David

David Linn, System Manager/Postmaster      |INET:
Vanderbilt University School of Engineering| drl@vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Post Office Box 1824, Station B            |Phone:
Nashville, TN, USA  37235                  | [USA] 615-322-7924

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 23 Jul 88 10:58:06 EDT
From:    Bradford Garton <garton@cunixc.cc.columbia.edu>
Subject: sound conversion on Suns

There seems to be some interest in digitized audio on Suns -- a company
called MicroTechnology Unlimited in Raleigh, North Carolina makes a
high-quality DtoA/AtoD device that works on the VMEbus using the Ikon
DR11-W emulator card.  The device (called the Digisound-16) is 16-bit with
a maximum sampling rate of 50k stereo (minimum 3.5k).  After many trashed
filesystems, we developed a driver for it that works quite nicely under
3.x operating systems (I believe that it is to be ported to 4.0, not
having a 4.0 machine at our site we won't be doing it).  It converts
directly to/from standard unix files on locally attached SMD-type disks
(the biggest I've tried is a 20 minute 50k stereo file), with an option to
use the Robert Gross/IRCAM soundfile header (sort of an "ad hoc" standard
in the computer music community).  Unfortunately at this time it only
digitizes to/from disk files, we will be adding a feature to allow
conversion from a locked-in chunk of memory in the near future.  People
interested in the ds-16 should contact Dave Cox at:

	MTU
	PO Box 12106
	Raleigh, NC  27605
	phone:(919)870-0344

or contact me at the address below.  There are also a bunch of nifty
public-domain programs for doing audio synthesis/signal-processing for the
Sun (cmix, csound, CARL, etc.).  I'd be happy to point anyone interested
to the sites where these can be gotten.

The Big Disclaimer:  The only connection I have with MTU is that we
developed the Sun driver for the ds16.  Being a "PD/musician/anarchist"
type, I receive no royalties, kickbacks, payments, etc.  from MTU.  Silly
me.

Brad Garton
Columbia University Music Department
703 Dodge Hall
Columbia Univerity
New York, NY  10027
brad@woof.columbia.edu -or- ...!columbia!woof!brad
phone:(212)280-3825

------------------------------

Date:    20 Jul 88 14:11:54 GMT
From:    dsinc!syd@bpa.bell-atl.com (Syd Weinstein)
Subject: Questions on periphs for Sun 386i

We are considering getting some Sun 386i Workstations.  Have need for
large disks.  Any one know of any disks for the Sun 386i that are larger
that 327MB ones provided by Sun.

Also, we have an existing Pertec interface Cipher F990 cachestreamer 9tk
GCR tape drive we wish to keep, any one know of a controller and drivers
for it for the 386i.

Please respond by e-mail, I will summarize back to comp.sys.sun.

Sydney S. Weinstein, CDP, CCP
Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Jul 88 23:04:10 EDT
From:    jesse@mssun7.msi.cornell.edu (Jesse Lee)
Subject: Problems with forwarding mail

There are four Sun Workstations here in the computer room, mssun1, mssun5,
mssun6, mssun7. They all run Sun Unix 4.2 Release 3.5. These four machines
share the same users files (including the .forward file) with mssun7 as
the server.  But they don't share the same system mailbox. So each machine
has it's own system mailbox.  I find out that the mailers of mssun1,
mssun5 and mssun6 cannot "look" at the .forward file when the home
directory is protected i.e. with access mode 700. Only the mailer of
mssun7 can "look" at the .forward file and redirect the mail. The complete
story is as follow: I always suspect the mailers on the other three
machines are very dump. So I did the following experiment. I changed the
access mode of my friend's home directory to be 700 and I redirect his
mail to me. His .forward file has access mode 644. I sent four messages to
him at these four machines respectively. As I expect, only mssun7
forwarded the mail to me, the other three put the mail in their own system
mailboxes.

These four machines all run the same version of sendmail.  How come I will
get these result? Can anybody tell me why?

My electronic address is
      jesse@mssun7.msi.cornell.edu
Thanks.

	Jesse Lee

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 22 Jul 88 11:31:49 EDT
From:    Laura Carriere <laura@radio.astro.toronto.edu>
Subject: Interphase V/SIO driver and 4.0?

We have an Interphase serial port board, V/SIO 3208, on our Sun-3, OS 3.4.
We are planning to move to 4.0 sometime in the near future so I called
Robert Winter at Interphase, the guy who wrote the driver, to see if he
knew whether their driver works at 4.0.  Unfortunately, he hasn't yet had
a chance to try the driver at 4.0 but told me that either v2.9 (the most
recent) will either work with no problems, or he'll have to rewrite most
of the software.  He also told me that a number of other sites had called
looking for the same information.

My question is, has any site out there, which is using the Interphase
software, successfully upgraded to 4.0?  If so, can I assume you are
running v2.9?

I'd try it myself, but we currently have v1.0 of the serial port driver,
so first I'd have to upgrade to v2.9, then go to 4.0 and if it didn't work
I'd have to go back to 3.4 and wait for the rewritten software.  It seems
more sensible to ask first.  Thanks.

P.S. To those of you who know that v1.0 never worked, we have a severely
hacked version here.

Laura Carriere            INTERNET - laura@radio.astro.toronto.edu
University of Toronto     UUCP     - {uunet,pyramid}!utai!radio!laura
+1 (416) 978-3146         BITNET   - lcarriere@utorphys.bitnet

------------------------------

Date:    22 Jul 88 22:51:16 GMT
From:    tekbspa!tss!joe@uunet.uu.net (Joe Angelo)
Subject: SUNOS4.0 / Road Runner -- Enet sensitivity?

Anyone else notice that the SUN 386i's (Road Runners) appear very
sensitive to lose or bad ethernet connections?

Once-in-a-while, our drop cables dangle or are bent by a hasty developer
-- this usually results in strange problems on the Road Runner like "blind
halts", hangups, non-bootablity, etc.

Replacing the drop cable fixed the problems, but it wasn't obvious that
the cable was the problem 'cause of the blind halts were the machine just
stops, the CRT is blank, and no dmessages can be found.

Date:    Fri, 22 Jul 88 14:28:00 EDT
From:    <BURT_MAGEN%KTI.CEO.DG.COM@adam.dg.com>
Subject: Data General Terminal Emulator?

Does anyone know of a Data General terminal emulator that runs on a sun
workstation.
	Burt_Magen@kti.ceo.dg.com

------------------------------

Date:    Sat, 23 Jul 88 10:27:15 -0400
From:    John F. Fowler <jffowler@icarus.cns.syr.edu>
Subject: NeWS Calendar Tool?

Anyone know where I might get a NeWS version of the Calendar Tool?
Mail Tool?

John Fowler
Syracuse University
Computing and Network Services         Internet: jffowler@icarus.cns.syr.edu
Machinery Hall                         Bitnet:   oprjff@suvm
Syracuse,  NY  13244-1260  USA         AT&T:     (315) 423-2861

End of SUN-Spots Digest