[net.unix-wizards] dsw etymology

mp (02/21/83)

Well, now that we've beaten set-uid and rm to their
annual deaths, I guess it's time to debate the origins
of "dsw".  To answer this question before a lot of
opinions spring up, here's dmr's reply:

>From research!dmr Wed Aug 12 00:35:06 1981
Subject: etymology &c
Newsgroups: NET.general
I would advise taking uiucdcs!jerry's account of history and
motivations with a healthy dose of salt.  However, his heart's in
the right place (unlike some).

A while ago someone asked Ken Thompson what he would do differently
if he were to do Unix again.  The answer: "I would have called it
create instead of creat."   Well, my answer is that I would have
fixed the stupid dsw manual page.  Fortunately, I can atone
by publishing a correct account (not the real 1970 manual page,
but an incredible simulation).

>From research!dmr Wed Aug 12 00:02:17 1981
Subject: dsw manual page (honest)
Newsgroups: NET.general

DSW(1)              UNIX Programmer's Manual               DSW(1)

NAME
     dsw - delete from switches

SYNOPSIS
     (put number in console switches)
     dsw
     core

DESCRIPTION
     _d_s_w reads the console switches to obtain a number _n, prints
     the name of the _n-th file in the current directory, and
     exits, leaving a core image file named _c_o_r_e. If this core
     file is executed, the file whose name was last printed is
     unlinked (see _u_n_l_i_n_k(2)).

     The command is useful for deleting files whose names are
     difficult to type.

SEE ALSO
     rm(1), unlink(2)

BUGS
     This command was written in 2 minutes to delete a particular
     file that managed to get an 0200 bit in its name.  It should
     work by printing the name of each file in a specified direc-
     tory and requesting a `y' or `n' answer.  Better, it should
     be an option of _r_m(1).

     The name is mnemonic, but likely to cause trouble in the
     future.

Printed 8/11/81            PDP-7 local                          1