[net.news.group] The

mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Browne) (11/08/85)

It seems to me that at least a week ago, jj@alice posted a summary of the
mail that he received about deleting net.flame.  I don't remember the exact
numbers, but I believe that the vote was approximately 100-3 in favor of
deletion, with 8 people responding with obscenities.  So when is net.flame
going to die!?  (Or is it going to die?)

I'll agree that reforming net.sources.* is important, but even with all its
problems, net.sources.* is a still useful source of information.  Net.flame
is almost as big with absolutely NO redeeming value.  So let's delete it
already!
--
UUCP: ..!seismo!k.cs.cmu.edu!mcb		ARPA: mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu

"It came time to move, so I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two
blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch..."

ins_akaa@jhunix.UUCP (Kenneth Adam Arromdee) (11/11/85)

In article <633@k.cs.cmu.edu> mcb@k.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Browne) writes:
>It seems to me that at least a week ago, jj@alice posted a summary of the
>mail that he received about deleting net.flame.  I don't remember the exact
>numbers, but I believe that the vote was approximately 100-3 in favor of
>deletion, with 8 people responding with obscenities.  So when is net.flame
>going to die!?  (Or is it going to die?)
>
>I'll agree that reforming net.sources.* is important, but even with all its
>problems, net.sources.* is a still useful source of information.  Net.flame
>is almost as big with absolutely NO redeeming value.  So let's delete it
>already!

At least on this system, files in the news directory which appear in two
groups seem to be composed of one file linked into the two sub-directories.
Since most of the articles in net.flame are cross-posted into other groups,
it would seem that the presence or absence of net.flame would have little
effect on disk space, or clogging up the net with files. So being "almost
as big with absolutely no redeeming value" doesn't matter; all you have to do
is press the 'N' key, or unsubscribe.

There is another reason, though, for keeping net.flame: If you don't act
now, the rest of the net may go. When net.bizarre went, we were warned that
other groups may be next; net.flame is just another group of all the groups
that will, one by one, go down the tubes. First net.bizarre, then net.internat,
then net.flame and possibly net.sources.mac. And there have already been calls
to eliminate net.politics, net.philosophy, net.religion, and even
net.news.group.
If you know the alphabet up to 'k', you can teach it up to 'k'.

Kenneth Arromdee
BITNET: G46I4701 at JHUVM and INS_AKAA at JHUVMS
CSNET: ins_akaa@jhunix.CSNET              ARPA: ins_akaa%jhunix@hopkins.ARPA
UUCP: ...{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_akaa
      ...allegra!hopkins!jhunix!ins_akaa