[comp.sys.sun] Sun-Spots Digest, v6n204

Sun-Spots-Request@RICE.EDU (William LeFebvre) (08/30/88)

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST          Monday, 29 August 1988      Volume 6 : Issue 204

Today's Topics:
             Re: Can I have two networks on one interface (2)
                    Re: automounter ... why bother (2)
                   Re: printcap vs. XON/XOF (SunOS4.0)
                           Watching your mouse
                           2/50's and SunOS 4.0
                 SunOS 4.0 Source Code licensing problem
                          Sunlink X.25 problems
                              RS-232 problem
                             old csh source?
        Is the ALM2 the same as a Systech MTI? (& getty question)
                       SunINGRES 5.1 and SunOS 4.0?
                  I've got /usr/games/bcd, where's ppt?
                            Hard disk drives?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots@rice.edu
"archive-server@rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    12 Aug 88 01:10:04 GMT
From:    tekbspa!tss!joe@uunet.uu.net (Joe Angelo)
Subject: Re: Can I have two networks on one interface (1)
Reference: v6n174

> Is there a way to configure my Sun so that it can talk to machines on the
> same ethernet, but who have different internet network numbers?  (for
> example, 192.9.200 and 129.197.31)

Sure is... simply add the routing table entry manually or in your
rc.local file.  For example:

     # route add 192.9.244.0 `hostname` 0
     # netstat -r | grep ie0
     tss.com         tekbspa         U        44     4547248    ie0
     192.9.244.0     tekbspa         U        0      0          ie0

Notice that tss.com and 192.9.244.0 appear on the same interface, ie0.

Every machine to access the 'new' network must run the "route add"
command, and machines on the 'new' network must run the reverse of the
above command, eg:

      # route add tss.com `hostname` 0

Or, generally:

      # route add OTHER_NETWORK_NUMBER_ON_SAME_CABLE.0 `hostname` 0

Got it?

For testing purposes, we run 4 ``subnets'' on the same ethernet cable with
absolutely no trouble. Ofcourse, broadcast based programs like rup and
rusers only ``see'' machines with your same network number.

Joe Angelo -- Senior Systems Engineer/Systems Manager
at Teknekron Software Systems, Palo Alto 415-325-1025

joe@tss.com - uunet!tekbspa!joe - tekbspa!joe@uunet.uu.net

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 09 Aug 88 13:08:03 CDT
From:    "Matt Crawford" <matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu>
Subject: Re: Can I have two networks on one interface (2)
Reference: v6n174
Phone:   +1 312 702 8207

Oh, you poor slob.  You are probably going to hate bridges within a year.
But your current problem can be solved.  If your IP address is a.b.c.d and
you want to talk to network w.x (or w.x.y), do the following once for each
such destination net:

     /usr/etc/route add w.x.0.0 a.b.c.d 0            # or w.x.y.0

Put these commands in rc.local for next time.  Warning: w.x (or w.x.y)
cannot be a subnet unless a.b.c is a subnet of the same net.  (i.e., a ==
w && b == x), in which case you must insert "-n " before the "add".

But here's what you'll find that you cannot do:  If some host w.x.y.z is a
gateway to a further net p.q.r, you cannot reach p.q.r. unless w.x.y.z
does "promiscuous arp" for you.  If it does, you are prbably just as well
off doing

	/usr/etc/route add default a.b.c.d 0

instead of *all* the above.  This will cause your host to issue an ARP
request for any host to which it knows no specific route.  If that host is
not on your bridge-extended ethernet, the gateway to it had better answer
the ARP request with its own ethernet address.

Matt Crawford	     		matt@oddjob.uchicago.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 88 13:18:34 EDT
From:    Chuck Musciano <chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com>
Subject: Re: automounting ... why bother (1)

One thing I like about automounting is that you can have implicit mounts
of every machine in the network, but only mount them when they are
referenced.  Our network has as its goal that anyone, anywhere, can say
/machine/path and get to that machine.  Until now, the effort of mounting
every machine from every other (on a 26 machine network) was too great.
Now, we can automount all machines, and only actually accessed machines
are mounted.  Very convenient.

Note that this is our PLAN, since we haven't fully upgraded to 4.0 yet.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 88 10:01:36 +0200
From:    sunuk!sunnl!bohr!josm@sun.com (Jos van der Meer)
Subject: Re: automounter ... why bother (2)
Reference: v6n193

If you do not use an NFS filesystem, and its NFS server crashes, your
machine won't hang, so that is no big advantage of the automounter.
[[ The problem is that you can touch that NFS partition in ways that you
wouldn't expect or don't intend, such as starting a new emacs in a
different directory, or typing "df" instead of "fg".  --wnl ]]
However, sometimes you do use a filesystem without to much attention (ls
-R, find).

The automounter has some more advantages from a system administration point
of view.

First of all, the automounter is capable of selecting an NFS server in
cases where several servers can provide the same file system. The entry in
an automount map may have the form:
	man1	ajax:/usr/share/man/man1  hercules:/usr/share/man/man1 .....
	man2	zeus:/usr/share/man/man2  poseidon:/usr/share/man/man2 .....
Note that this selection is made for almost every access of a man-page.

Second, the automounter can give the suggestion of one directory, in case
the subdirectories are physically different directories on different
machines.  This can be done by normal mounts too, though the advantage of
the automounter is the fact that you don't have to create empty
subdirectories as mountpoints.

Third, the automounter can make local/NFS filesystems available by a
number of paths: the automounter (will/tries to/should/can be instructed
to) avoid duplicate mounts. It creates and destroys symbolic links to
mounted file systems.

Fourth, the automounter creates a dynamic indirection between "virtual
place" and "physical place" of a directory.  Best example I know of is the
auto.home map on the 386i. Users think of their home-directory as
"/home/fred", "/home/susan" etc. Even in the password file their home
directories are specified like this.

So in cases of "disk-space-reorganisation" (every administrator knows what
I mean: disk shortage and system crashes ...) the only two things I have to
do is:
	- move things around
	- update the "auto.home" automount map.
OK, when all users should write their scripts, and .files using $HOME or
"~",  they shouldn't care about moving around ... however, they don't.

Fifth, automount maps can be (will almost always be) distributed by YP.
This is not true for fstab, so imagine the work which is involved in the
previous case of moving home directories.

Sixth, some default automount maps can be available. Currently
	automount /net -hosts
will mount the complete local tree of a machine you know when needed (i.e.
at the moment of accessing /net/machinename).

So, that's why .....

Jos van der Meer
Sun Microsystems Nederland B.V.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 88 12:51:01 PDT
From:    limes@sun.com (Greg Limes)
Subject: Re: printcap vs. XON/XOF (SunOS4.0)

Bob, the problem with SunOS 4.0 losing XON/XOFF control near the end of a
file and even dropping data at the end of a file is known, and there are
fixes for it. Call Sun, ask about the serial patch tape.

The workaround is simple; start a background process that holds the device
open. From the bug report (#1011358):

 Work around:
	If the port is held open for an indefinate amount of time, (such as
	"(cat foo > /dev/ttya; sleep 999999)" or cp /dev/ttya /dev/null)
	the file will be written correctly.

It is not entirely clear to me that the first workaround (cat foo >
/dev/ttya; sleep 999999) works, but the line (cp /dev/ttya /dev/null)
should do the trick -- and keep any incoming garbage flushed out of the
system.

-- Greg Limes [limes@sun.com]

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 88 13:02:28 EDT
From:    Chuck Musciano <chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com>
Subject: Watching your mouse

The enclosed program is a quick hack which gives your Sun eyes.  I saw
this on a Silicon Graphics workstation being used by Mark Callow at
SIGGRAPH in Atlanta, and just had to write a version for the Sun.  Give it
a try!

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com

[[ This program is great!  Grab a copy.  Don't try to figure out what it
does, just compile it and run it.  It is stored under "sun-source" as
"eyecon.shar".  It is 20372 bytes long and it can be retrieved via
anonymous FTP from the host "titan.rice.edu" or via the archive server
with the request "send sun-source eyecon.shar".  For more information
about the archive server, send a mail message containing the word "help"
to the address "archive-server@rice.edu".  --wnl ]]

------------------------------

Date:    25 Aug 88 15:53:33 GMT
From:    oliveb!stpstn!aad@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Anthony A. Datri)
Subject: 2/50's and SunOS 4.0

I called Sun about the marked suntools slowness we have on 2/50's under
4.0, and they said, basically, that it's a known problem and they have no
answers.  I also got the impression that they don't care.  It looks like
I'm going to have to run 3.2 suntools just to get marginally acceptable
performance.  The guy I spoke to seemed to think that sun having made
sweeping changes to the operating system for 4.0 was an acceptable reason
for it to not run acceptably on most of our workstations.

[[ Some people (such as your moderator) think that even the 3.2 suntools
doesn't run acceptably fast on a Sun 2.  --wnl ]]

Egads!

Anthony A. Datri,SysAdmin,StepstoneCorporation,stpstn!aad

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 88 11:22:45 PDT
From:    weiser.pa@xerox.com
Subject: SunOS 4.0 Source Code licensing problem

I just heard from Sun about a new licensing problem with SunOS 4.0 Source
Code that I thought I would pass on before others got bit by it.

SunOS 4.0 source apparently requires an AT&T System V rel 3.1 source
license.  Notice that ".1".  We have a Vr3 license (required for 3.5
source), but not a Vr3.1 license, and so Sun will not ship us the 4.0
source until we upgrade yet again.  We are doing this, but it would have
been much more convenient and faster if Sun had announced this up front,
back in May or June (when our source order went in), instead of letting us
discover it now 3 months later.

Sigh.

-mark

(I am disappointed that Sun once again, as they do every major new
release, alienates its most influential customers (the outspoken, trusted,
techies) by not taking source code availability seriously.)

------------------------------

Date:    25 Aug 88 04:42:08 GMT
From:    munnari!kylie.otr.oz.au!joe@uunet.uu.net (Jang Jang Joe)
Subject: Sunlink X.25 problems

I am trying to get Sunlink X.25 software running on our 3/50.  We have
Sunlink X.25 release 5.0 and we are using the CPU serial port A for the
X.25 connection to PDN.  I am testing the Sunlink by connecting two Sun
3/50 back-to-back with a null modem cable. I have followed the
installation instructions on the manual word by word, but still couldn't
get the infamous "HDLC is UP. Packet Level is UP"  message to appear.
Everytime the "x25config" program is run, called with our own tailored
x25params file, it stops after a pause with a message:

"X25_WR_SYSGEN: connection time out"

Has anyone came across this problem?
Joe, ( joe@kylie.otr.oz.au )

------------------------------

Date:    23 Aug 88 22:12:35 GMT
From:    milano!sandel@tuvalu.sw.mcc.com (Charles Sandel)
Subject: RS-232 problem

I am having a problem getting my Sun-3/260 to read the output from a Heath
"Most Accurate Clock".   The clock itself picks up WWV broadcasts and
spits out an ASCII string containing WWV time.  I can read the Heath
output just fine on my Pyramid 98x and on a Toshiba laptop (!), but the
Sun just sees a bunch of nulls.  I've tried everything I can think of to
no avail.  The output voltage from the clock seems "reasonable" (around 4
volts - anything over 3 is kosher for RS-232).  Nothing I've tried -
either hardware or software - has helped me read the thing on the Sun.  I
have also tried it on a Sun-2/170 and a Sun-3/160 with the same results.
Any help at all would be appreciated.  Thanx!

Charles Sandel			arpa/internet:  sandel@mcc.com
MCC/Software Technology		uucp/usenet:    milano!sandel

------------------------------

Date:    26 Aug 88 01:01:13 GMT
From:    Jeffrey A. Sullivan <idis!cisunx!jasst3@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu>
Subject: old csh source?

Can anyone tell me where I can get a copy of the csh (4.3 or newer)
sources so I can patch them to get tcsh?

I'd be much obliged.

[[ It's not public domain.  It's part of Unix.  You would probably need a
Unix source license to legally obtain the sources.  --wnl ]]

Jeffrey Sullivan			  | University of Pittsburgh
jas@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu		  | Intelligent Systems Studies Program
jasper@PittVMS.BITNET, jasst3@cisunx.UUCP | Graduate Student

------------------------------

Date:    25 Aug 88 16:03:59 GMT
From:    oliveb!stpstn!aad@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Anthony A. Datri)
Subject: Is the ALM2 the same as a Systech MTI? (& getty question)

I've seen references to both of them in Sun documentation, but not both at
the same time, kind of like Andy Gibb and Divine.  We've got a Systech MTI
in our 3/180, presumably on one of those multibus->VMEbus adapter things.
Once in a while, some of the lines will hang completely, especially the
upper 8 where we have modems.  Right now everything seems to be okay,
except that that one of the modems doesn't get a getty run on it when it
answers a call.  I don't get it -- it *used* to work... Sigh.

Date:    Wed, 24 Aug 88 17:33:34 EDT
From:    cucard!proexam!glen@nyu.edu (Glen Brydon)
Subject: SunINGRES 5.1 and SunOS 4.0?

We have had the optional INGRES database now for almost two years and were
quite surprised to discover that the so called INGRES/GRAPHICS (VIGRAPH)
option to the option seems not to be available thru SUN Microsystems.
This is what our salesman told us (not in his price book).  Upon calling
the INGRES people themselves, we started to fully understand the
relationship (or lack of one) that we had with Relational Technology, Inc.
We were given the option of purchasing a license directly from RTI for
INGRES and support at a much greater price per annum or not get the
graphics option at all.

I guess my question is whether or not Sun has picked up the option to
distribute this graphics option (also the networking option) and if not
why?  Assuming that this option is not directly available to us thru Sun
my next question would have to be how people out there do presentation-
quality graphics (e.g. pie charts, histograms, bar charts, etc.)?

Not exactly related is the fact that when we received the SunOS 4.0
materials the SunINGRES 5.1 (mostly bug-fixes) with a presumably identical
set of manuals to the last 5.0 distribution.  Upon inspection we find that
INGRES will not run on SunOS 4.0.  I take this to mean that we cannot
upgrade the OpSys as long as we want to use INGRES.  Can someone tell us
if this is the case and when we will be able to upgrade the operating
system?

I would gladly welcome any comments or advice concerning these issues.
Please send your comments to the following network address:

        glen@proexam       (...!cucard!proexam!glen)

------------------------------

Date:    25 Aug 88 19:04:02 GMT
From:    oliveb!stpstn!aad@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Anthony A. Datri)
Subject: I've got /usr/games/bcd, where's ppt?

Both the 2.9BSD and SunOS 4.0 man pages refer to ppt as a program like
bcd, except it punches tape instead of cards.  I have yet to find a copy
of ppt anywhere.  If anyone has a copy of ppt, even a binary, please let
me know that I'm not crazy.

Date:    Thu, 25 Aug 88 15:04 EDT
From:    Jason Wu <WUJ@QUCDN.BITNET>
Subject: Hard disk drives?

I am thinking of buying a hard disk drive, approximately 300Mb.  Can
anyone tell me where I can get a reliable one at reasonable price?

Thanks.

Jason Wu
Queen's University
Kingston, Canada