[comp.sys.sun] Sun-Spots Digest, v6n237

Sun-Spots-Request@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/27/88)

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Sunday, 25 September 1988     Volume 6 : Issue 237

Today's Topics:
                      Re: Shared Memory vs. malloc()
                           Re: TCP/IP on Sun/Os
               SunOS 4.0 Fortran Concatenation Operator Bug
                          Another color problem
                              sun2ps request
     request for software info for new Sun Academic Software Catalog
               wanted: benchmark programs for workstations
        Information Requested on Sun Hardware Maintenance Vendors
                   Changing Shared Memory Limitations?
                             vms to sun mail?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots@rice.edu
"archive-server@rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    21 Sep 88 08:31:32 GMT
From:    <mcvax!ist.co.uk!rb@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: Re: Shared Memory vs. malloc()

> Various descriptions of the System V shared memory calls state that shared
> memory should not be attached during invocations of malloc(), realloc(),
> etc...  This is because malloc() does not know about the shared memory and
> may begin to overlap with it.

This is easy to avoid on most systems, by causing the shared memory
page(s) to be attached well clear of where malloc is doing its thing. You
do, of course, have to be careful to pick a valid address (see shmop(2)).

> I cannot find any definite warning of this
> type in the SUN documentation.

Are we talking SunOS3 or SunOS4 here?  In the SunOS3 case, they try to do
it all for you.  Things are set up so that there is an incestuous
interface between the user-mode code on the interfaces for the shared
memory calls and malloc, which is intended to allow malloc to know about
and avoid shared memory pages.  However, this causes absolute chaos if one
wants to use one's own allocator (a reasonable thing to do) - you have to
fake up the (unpublished) interface and if you get it wrong, it's possible
to panic the kernel.  I have a demonstration program with a tunable
parameter which offers a variety of different panics!

In SunOS4, things are different. Any cheating is carried out inside the
kernel, presumably so that shmat() and brk()/sbrk() don't fall over each
other.

------------------------------

From:    cochran@sunburn.dab.ge.com (Craig Cochran)
Date:    Wed, 21 Sep 88 17:09:43 EDT
Subject: Re: TCP/IP on Sun/Os

Kang.ESAE@xerox.com writes:
>         What is the relationship between NFS and TCP/IP?

NFS does not rely on TCP, but does rely on its underlying protocol, IP.
NFS is implemented using UDP, a connectionless protocol which, like TCP,
is layered on IP.  Connectionless (UDP) protocol has been used here in
order to make NFS stateless.  The (very abbreviated) picture is something
like this:

             NFS

             UDP  TCP
               \  /
                IP

        ethernet controller

>         Is Sun's version of TCP/IP different from other implementations?

Lets hope not.  Sun uses the Berkeley approach to Interprocess
communication, sockets, and should be compatible with other BSD systems.
I don't know much about System V, other than that their TCP/IP interface
is through something called "streams", which will probably find its way
into SunOS very soon (if not already? - someone corect me).

>         What commands/system calls are available to utilize TCP/IP
>         capabilities on the Sun?

Read the man pages for socket(2), bind(2), listen(2), accept(2),
connect(2), read(2), write(2), select(2), send(2), recv(2).

>         Where can I obtain documentation on the above mentioned items
>         and please forward me the address/phone numbers.

Read the "IPC Primer" in "Networking on the Sun Workstation".  This
section provides a decent intro to writing TCP/IP and UDP/IP server,
client and symmetrical network applications.

Good luck!

--
Craig S. Cochran <cochran@ge-dab.GE.COM>
                                            General Electric Company

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 21 Sep 88 09:41 EDT
From:    VERMETTE@sdr.slb.com
Subject: SunOS 4.0 Fortran Concatenation Operator Bug

Folks...

We recently ran into the bug shown below in the course of porting some
code from a Sun 3/280 to a Sun 4/110. The 3/280 is running SunOS 3.4; the
4/110 is running SunOS 4.0. The bug is that the Fortran concatenation
operator (//) appears to be broken under 4.0. This bug's original
manifestation was that we couldn't seem to load files when running on the
4/110, in spite of the fact that ls -l showed the files to be present in
the current working directory and that their protection settings were
correct. The demo program loops endlessly so you can type lots of things
and watch your output strings get really strange. Note: This has been
submitted to Sun through "proper channels".

      program s4bug

      character*80 string
 10   format (a)
 100  write(6,*) 'ENTER STRING: '
      read(5,10, err=100) string
      ilast = index(string,'   ')
      string = string(1:ilast - 1) // ' and more string!'
      write(6,*) 'ilast: ', ilast
      write(6,*) 'string: ', string
      GO TO 100
      stop
      end

We use the same compilation command on both SunOS 3.4 and SunOS 4.0..

bamboo46> f77 -o s4bug_s4 s4bug.f
s4bug.f:
 MAIN s4bug:
"s4bug.f", line 18: Warning: statement cannot be reached
bamboo47>

Running this under SunOS 3.4 yields...

ebony67> s4bug
  ENTER STRING:
string
  ilast:   7
  string:
  string and more string!
  ENTER STRING:
strings, strings
  ilast:   17
  string:
strings, strings and more string!
  ENTER STRING:
strings
  ilast:   8
  string:
  strings and more string!
  ENTER STRING:
^C*** Interrupt!
ebony68>

Running a SunOS 4.0 executable version of this EXACT SAME SOURCE FILE
yields...

bamboo42> s4bug_s4
ENTER STRING:
string
ilast:   7
string:
string and more string!8
ENTER STRING:
strings, strings
ilast:   17
string:
strings, strings and more string!(
ENTER STRING:
strings
ilast:   8
string:
strings and more string!8ring!(
ENTER STRING:
^C*** Interrupt = signal 2 code 0
bamboo43>

In both cases, I hit control C to exit the loop. My guess is that somehow,
Fortran character strings under SunOS 4.0 are being improperly terminated
by the concatenation operator. Just thought all Spots might like to know.

	-- Mark Vermette
	vermette@sdr.slb.com

------------------------------

Date:    21 Sep 88 19:56:51 GMT
From:    ur-valhalla!badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu (Badri Lokanathan)
Subject: Another color problem

I am running OS 3.4 on a 3/110. When I run

shelltool -Wg -Wb r g b

the colors are not what I expect. For instance, if I try 50 153 204 (sky
blue) I get a much darker blue in the window. On the other hand, the color
looks correct if I use this rgb combo in other programs (ice, NeWS demos
etc.) Where lies the problem?

"Don't blame me for wanting more         {) badri@valhalla.ee.rochester.edu
 The facts are too hard to ignore       //\\ {ames,cmcl2,columbia,cornell,
 I'm scared to death of poverty        ///\\\ garp,harvard,ll-xn,rutgers}!
 I only want what's best for me."-UB40   /\    rochester!ur-valhalla!badri

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 21 Sep 88 09:48:27 EDT
From:    Eric Marshall <marshall@software.org>
Subject: sun2ps request

Can someone please tell me where I can obtain the sun2ps program.  Thanks
in advance.

Eric Marshall
Software Productivity Consortium
1880 North Campus Commons Drive
Reston, VA 22091
(703) 391-1838

CSNET: marshall@software.org
ARPANET: marshall%software.org@relay.cs.net  OR
         @relay.cs.net:marshall@software.org

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 21 Sep 88 15:52:21 PDT
From:    cjh@sun.com (Connie Humphries - EPD Marketing)
Subject: request for software info for new Sun Academic Software Catalog

          REQUEST FOR INFORMATION ABOUT ACADEMIC/RESEARCH SOFTWARE
                           FOR SUN WORKSTATIONS
           For application form, questions or comments, contact:
             Connie Humphries                    (415)336-1963
             Sun Microsystems, Inc.
             Education Products Division         ARPA: univapps@sun.com
             2550 Garcia Ave. M/S 19-48          UUCP: sun!univapps
             Mt. View, CA 94043   USA

 NEW SOFTWARE INFORMATION CATALOGING PROJECT - SUN ACADEMIC SOFTWARE CATALOG

The Education Products Division (EPD) at Sun Microsystems is committed to
encouraging and fostering the development of innovative computing
solutions in Higher Education and Scientific Research.  As part of this
goal, Sun is cataloging information about software distributed by
colleges, universities and research labs for use on Sun Workstations.
This information will be distributed in hardcopy catalog form, the Sun
Academic Software Catalog, and in the future in a browsable data base.
The information collected for this project will also be shared with the
EDUCOM/OCLC higher education software cataloging project.

TO SUBMIT SOFTWARE INFORMATION

To receive an online or hardcopy version of the Application Form, send
email to univapps@sun.com (or call or write to the above address). If
sending email, please use "application request" in the Subject line.
We're trying to get as many listings as possible in the next 3 weeks (in
time for the EDUCOM show in October), but we will be taking applications
forever!

We are looking for software that:
  * has been developed and used by colleges, universities, and research labs.
  * is being distributed to the academic/research community either by
    individual software developers or by institutional software distribution
    centers. It may also be available to corporate licensees.
  * has direct applicability to the academic/research environment.
  * has been reasonably well tested by the developer.

We do NOT intend to catalog all public domain software which is available
in various archives, but we ARE interested in this software if it is of
particular interest to the academic/research community.  We're also
interested in including information about how to reach the various net
software archives.

TO RECEIVE THE ACADEMIC SOFTWARE CATALOG

The new Academic Software Catalog will be sent to everyone who submits
software information for the catalog, plus:

Sun Education/Reseach Customers IN the U.S.
 If you recently received a copy of the Catalyst Education Edition, you
 will automatically receive the new Academic Software Catalog. If you
 are a U.S. Sun customer NOT on our mailing list, but would like to
 receive the new catalog and future EPD Software Programs information,
 please send the form at the end of this file to univapps@sun.com with
 "mailing list" in the subject line.

Sun Education/Reseach Customers OUTSIDE the U.S.
 Please contact your local Sun sales representative to express your
 interest in receiving this catalog.  As soon as they're available,
 we'll send them out to our International sales offices.

WORK IN PROGRESS

If you have software that is not ready for distribution, please submit it
when you're ready to distribute.  We're also looking for application
stories to run in the Sun Technology Journal and other publications. If
you're working on a project that has wide applicability to other
universities, or is in an interesting area of research or instruction,
please send mail (electronic or surface) to the address listed at the
beginning of this message.  Include the following information:
  Name:
  Department:
  College/University/Research Center:
  Street/PO Box:
  City, State/Province, Postal Code, Country:
  Phone:
  Email:
  Brief description of project:
  Role of Sun in project:

We're excited about this project and think that it will provide a useful
resource to the academic computing community.  We welcome any comments,
suggestions or feedback.

-Connie Humphries
 Sun EPD Marketing Programs
 Name:
 Department:
 College/University/Research Center:
 Street/PO Box:
 City, State/Zip:
 Phone:
 Email:
 Current Sun User? (Yes/No):
 How many Sun Workstations at your site?
 Current member of the Sun User Group? (Yes/No):
 Applications (delete those that are not applicable):
  01 CASE
  02 ECAD/CAE
  03 MCAD
  04 Electronic Publishing (CAP)
  05 AI
  06 Image Processing/Graphics
  07 Manufacturing
  08 Life Sciences
  09 Earth Resources
  10 Finance
  11 CAI
  12 AEC
  13 Office Automation
  14 Data Acquisition/Signal Processing
  15 Scientific/Research
  16 DBMS
  17 Network Control/Communications
  99 Other ______________________________________________

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 21 Sep 88 16:22:57 PDT
From:    Xinhua Wu <xwu%cse.usc.edu%oberon.usc.edu%cse.usc.edu@oberon.usc.edu>
Subject: wanted: benchmark programs for workstations

I'm posting the following for a friend of mine.  Please email your replies
to me or just post them.

I'm looking for benchmark programs for performance evaluation of
workstations.  Information about them (public domain or otherwise;
where/how to get them; etc.) would be greatly appreciated.  It's preferred
that they are written in C.

Any pointers to related articles are also welcome.

Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date:    Tue, 20 Sep 88 15:23:47 edt
From:    mdlrth.dnet!knox@lecgwy.lec.lockheed.com (Rita E. Knox)
Subject: Information Requested on Sun Hardware Maintenance Vendors

I need information on companies that perform hardware maintenance for Sun
workstations; I am primarily interested in YOUR experience of the quality
of service provided. Companies must be nation-wide (or, at least cover
both the New York Metropolitan area and the Midwest).  Desired
information:

       Company Name:
            Address:
              Phone:
    Service Quality: (e.g., accessibility, responsiveness, time
                      to repair, replacement units on hand, quality
                      of replacement units; any other relevant
                      information/factors that make you satisfied/
                      dissatisfied with service)

I'll be happy to summarize the replies and post them to Sun-Spots.  Thanks
for your help.

Rita Knox  -------->>    lecgwy!mdlrth!knox@rutgers.edu
Lockheed Electronics Company
Plainfield, New Jersey 07061

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 21 Sep 88 23:21:23 EDT
From:    Jack V. Briner <jvb@cs.duke.edu>
Subject: Changing Shared Memory Limitations?

I would like to share 4M of data space between processes. However, the
system has limits on the amount of space it will allow (~100K).  Looking
at shm.h, it appears that there is a nice constant can be changed to
increase the size.  I assume there are some problems with increasing this
number much.

What are the problems?

Thanks,
Jack
jvb@cs.duke.edu

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 21 Sep 88 15:25 EDT
From:    "Bill Weissborn (214)980-7924--Data Systems Support" <WEISSBORN@ntcvx1.hub.hdsm05.hds.sdr.slb.com>
Subject: vms to sun mail?

We are attempting to find a way to send mail from our VAXs (VAXEN?) to our
SUN workstations.  Does anyone know if this can be done and if code exists
to do it.  With the help of dnamail from the archive server, we are now
able to send mail from the SUNs to the VAX but we really need a way to
reply from the VAX.

Bill Weissborn
Schlumberger Well Services
12770 Coit Rd. Suite 210