[comp.sys.sun] Sun-Spots Digest, v6n240

Sun-Spots-Request@Rice.edu (William LeFebvre) (09/28/88)

SUN-SPOTS DIGEST        Monday, 26 September 1988     Volume 6 : Issue 240

Today's Topics:
                    Re: Non-Sun SCSI disks & Sun4/110
                       Re: Bigger icons for frames
                         KWIC Index of Sun-Spots
                      Try PLP, a replacement for LPR
                     RPC failure in OS4.0 client boot
                           386i c compiler bug
                             Losing TOD Patch
                         text table full message
                      physio kernel support routine
                    disk drive / controller questions
                      GNUPLOT, where's the source??
                   Follow up question on Bigger Icons?
                        Apunix Exabyte Tapedrive?
                raster file translation:  Apollo to Suns?

Send contributions to:  sun-spots@rice.edu
"archive-server@rice.edu" or mail the word "help" to the same address
for more information.

Date:    Thu, 22 Sep 88 14:41:40 +0200
From:    mcvax!iesd!jpc@uunet.uu.net (Jens Peter Christensen)
Subject: Re: Non-Sun SCSI disks & Sun4/110

In v6n218 "Timothy H Panton." <mcvax!westhawk!thp@uunet.uu.net> writes:

>Doug Roberts @ Los Alamos National Laboratory writes:
>
>> Pin 26 on the SCSI connector may be grounded.  _Do NOT use
>> non-Sun SCSI disk drives with any Sun4/110 or any 4100 CPU based system.
>
>I once borrowed a 3/60 from Sun (UK) and the SCSI connector on the cable
>had one pin snipped off, I don't remember wich one, but it didn't look
>accidental.
>
>Does this mean the above caveat also applies to 3/60's?...

Concerning pin 26 on the SCSI interface grounded:

Actually, both the Sun 3/50 and the Sun 3/60 computers has pin 26 grounded.

The hardware manual for the 3/60 has this listed in the pin assignments
(But there is no warning that this is not standard!!).  The 3/50 manual
just >forgets< to mention pin 26 at all in the pin assignments.

So, it seems that everyone has lived with this for some time and the
problem first arises when Sun themselves notifies us that this is not
standard. Of course, this is no excuse for Sun.

Jens Peter Christensen                               jpc@iesd.dk
Department of Math. and Computer Science             {...}!mcvax!diku!iesd!jpc
Aalborg University Centre
Denmark

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 08:44:11 EDT
From:    Chuck Musciano <chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com>
Subject: Re: Bigger icons for frames

     Mike tried:

      bibtool_icon = icon_create(ICON_IMAGE, &bibtool_icon_pr,
                                 ICON_WIDTH, 105,
                                 ICON_HEIGHT, 67,
                                 0);

and failed, getting a replicated 64x64 icon in his 105x67 pixrect.  Try this:

      bibtool_icon = icon_create(ICON_WIDTH, 105,
      				 ICON_HEIGHT, 67,
      				 ICON_IMAGE, &bibtool_icon_pr,
      				 0);

and I'll bet it works.  My guess: default size is 64x64, it puts in the
image and clips it, then expands to width 105, replicating to fill the
image, then expands to height 67, replicating again.  Give it the
dimensions first, and maybe it will work.

Regarding icon gravity: I think the window system is brain dead and
assumes that all icons are 64x64 for icon positioning purposes.  Further,
icons can only sit on multiple of four boundaries, so that root gray in
the icon will align with the desktop.  The only solution is to intercept
the closing of a window, obtain the FRAME_CLOSED_RECT, figure out if you
are clipped off the edge of the screen, and move your icon.

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 22 Sep 88 10:01:30 EDT
From:    Skip Montanaro <steinmetz!montnaro@uunet.uu.net>
Subject: KWIC Index of Sun-Spots

In v6n230, Bruce Hamilton asked about a way to browse the Sun-Spots
archives. Here is a little shell script I run to extract subjects and
compress 'Spots articles. I have a complete Sun-Spots index I'd send out,
but it's 71 KBytes compressed. I also have a keyword-in-context 'Spots
index, but it's even bigger (228 KBytes compressed). Let me know if you're
interested in either one.

Skip Montanaro (montanaro@sprite.steinmetz.ge.com, montanaro@ge-crd.arpa)

#!/bin/sh

# Used from rn to save a Sun-Spots Digest into a compressed, properly named
# file. Also extracts the Subject lines and appends them to an index file.

# The Sun-Spots article comes in through stdin.

# Where to place the archive
SPDIR=$HOME/News/comp/sys/sun

# Temporary holding files
TMPART=/tmp/Sun-Spots.$$
TMPSUB=/tmp/Sun-Spots-Subjs.$$

# Save the article in TMPART, the Subject lines in
# TMPSUB, and the Digest number in VOL.
sed -e '/^SUN-SPOTS DIGEST/,$!d' | \
	tee $TMPART | \
	/usr/bin/egrep "^Subject:" > $TMPSUB
VOL=`head -1 $TMPART | sed -e 's/.*Volume \([0-9]*\).*/\1/'`
NUM=`head -1 $TMPART | sed -e 's/.*Issue \([0-9]*\).*/\1/'`
VOL=v${VOL}n${NUM}

if [ -f $SPDIR/$VOL.Z ] ; then
  echo $VOL already exists. Skipping it.
else
  echo Saving $VOL.
  # Compress the article and put it in its final storage file
  compress < $TMPART > $SPDIR/$VOL.Z

  # Add the new subject lines to the index file and sort it, removing "re:",
  # if it exists. Unfortunately, sed regexps don't appear to be powerful
  # enough to match multiple occurrences of "[rR][eE]:[	 ]*", so I just
  # invoked it four times. Ought to get most occurences.
  mv $SPDIR/Index $SPDIR/Index.old
    sed -e "s/^Subject:[ 	]*\(.*\) *$/$VOL:	\1 /" < $TMPSUB | \
    sed -e "s/^$VOL:	[Rr][Ee]:[ 	]*/$VOL:	/" | \
    sed -e "s/^$VOL:	[Rr][Ee]:[ 	]*/$VOL:	/" | \
    sed -e "s/^$VOL:	[Rr][Ee]:[ 	]*/$VOL:	/" | \
    sed -e "s/^$VOL:	[Rr][Ee]:[ 	]*/$VOL:	/" | \
    sort -d -f -i +1 - $SPDIR/Index.old > $SPDIR/Index
fi

# clean up
rm -f $TMPSUB $TMPART Index.old

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 17:13:09 CDT
From:    papowell@julius.cs.umn.edu
Subject: Try PLP, a replacement for LPR

If you want a version of LPR that is a little easier to use in an NFS
environment,  try PLP.  This allows a spool directory to be NFS mounted;
things are written into it as DAEMON (not root), and it appears to fairly
easy to set up.

In addition,  a fair number of security loopholes have been closed; not
all, but a fair number.  For instance,  the -s (symbolic link) option and
-r (remove after printing) are restricted to users only in a trusted
group.

If you want to try PLP, you can get it by anonymous ftp from
julius.cs.umn.edu (128.101.230.1), in pub/PLP.tar.Z

Patrick Powell

------------------------------

Date:    23 Sep 88 22:44:23 GMT
From:    eos!jbm@eos.arc.nasa.gov (Jeffrey Mulligan)
Subject: RPC failure in OS4.0 client boot

We are experiencing the following problem in converting our small network
of SUNS to OS4.0:  Our configuration consists of a 3/180 file server and
the following diskless workstations:  2 3/160's, 2 4/110's, a 3/50 and
2/170.  Previously we had been running OS3.2, and the machines all
communicated over a heavily trafficked piece of ethernet (snakes through
about 3 buildings, I have no idea what otther things might be on it in
addition to several BSD vaxen that I know for sure about).  This piece of
the network is also bridged to the center-wide network providing access to
the Crays, etc.  Anyway, the old system (minus the sun 4's) worked fine.

Under OS4.0 the clients can't reboot when we are connected to the outside
world, although if we disconnect from the outside world and connect our
lab machines together with a multiport transceiver they will boot.  The
boot fails shortly after the devices are probed, with the following
messages (which are the same on ALL the clients):

... [ normal boot stuff ] ...
cgfour0 at obio 0xfb300000 pri 8
bwtwo0 at obio 0xfb300000 pri 8
bwtwo0: resolution 1152 x 900
whoami RPC call failed with status 10
panic: vfs_mountroot: cannot mount root
syncing file systems... done

dumping to vp 0, offset 0
BAD TRAP

... [ detailed traceback information follows ] ...

We have tried semi-isolating our system from the outside world by
installing a bridge (DECLAN 100) between our lab machines and the main
trunk, under the assumption that the problem is caused by some other
machine speaking when not spoken to.  This does not seem to help, although
we can disconnect the bridge, boot the clients, and then reconnect the
bridge, after which everything works normally.  This seems to imply that
the clients are doing some kind of a broadcast which is being picked up by
some other machine upstream which then responds inappropriately.

We have reported this problem to SUN but are still waiting for someone to
get back to us who pretends to understand it.  Noone in our group is
really a guru, we have been trying to get by just by playing it by the
book.  If anyone on the net can offer any insight or suggestions it will
be GREATLY appreciated.

jeff

	Jeff Mulligan (jbm@aurora.arc.nasa.gov)
	NASA/Ames Research Ctr., Mail Stop 239-3, Moffet Field CA, 94035
	(415) 694-6290

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 12:05:30 EDT
From:    stiatl!meo@gatech.edu
Subject: 386i c compiler bug

This problem occurs in using cc under 4.0 SunOS on a 386i/150; we
currently have no other Suns on which to test.

Consider the program:
/********************/
#include "foo.h"

main ()
{
	extern foo_type f();	/* foo_type is a pointer to a struct */
	foo_type a, b, c, d;

	   <other definitions>

	a = f ();
	b = f ();
	{
		<other stuff>
		c = f();
	}
	d = f ();
}
/********************/

At the 3rd & 4th invocations of f() (assigned to c @ line 14 &
to d @ line 16), the messages

"foo.c", line 14: warning: illegal combination of pointer and integer, op =
"foo.c", line 16: warning: illegal combination of pointer and integer, op =

appear when the program is compiled. If the assignment to c is explicitly
cast, as in

c = (foo_type) f ();

or an additional extern statement is inserted in the scope of the inner
block, the 1st error message goes away, but the 2nd remains.

Don't ask why I'm doing this; it's irrelevant to the problem, which is
that the compiler is apparently going berserk during the scope changes.
Granted, the code still works, but

	1) it's not right, and
	2) there are actually LOTS of invocations of f (), and I have to wade
	   through lots of error messages during recompiles.

Just thought y'all might like to know...

Miles O'Neal                Sales Technologies, Inc
gatech!stiatl!meo           Atlanta, GA  (404) 841-4000

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 10:41:09 PDT
From:    ho@tis-w.arpa (Hilarie K. Orman)
Subject: Losing TOD Patch

Is it possible that the TOD patch can become spontaneously uninstalled?  I
have had the experience of "losing" the patch from a 3.4 system, and it
sounds like others may have.  Of course, we may all be losing our minds,
but in either case we can band together.

Hilarie K. Orman
Trusted Information Systems, Inc.
ARPA: ho@tis-w.arpa

[[ If you have only applied the patch to /vmunix and then make a new
kernel, the patch will not be in the new kernel.  If you are in the habit
of making new kernels, you should also apply the patch to /sys/OBJ/clock.o
(or /sys/sun[34]/OBJ/clock.o, depending on what system you are running).
Similar comments apply if you (have a source license and) rebuild the
kernel from source.  --wnl ]]

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 07:48:09 CDT
From:    pgpbmt!andy@housun.UUCP (Andy Galewsky)
Subject: text table full message

every so often I come in in the morning and find this message in the
console window:

text: table is full

Is this something that should worry me or is it just a cry from a lonely
computer....

Andy Galewsky
Pinkerton/Galewsky, Inc.	sun!texsun!housun!pgpbmt!andy

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 16:13:57 EST
From:    munnari!basser.cs.su.oz.au!mrj@uunet.uu.net
Subject: physio kernel support routine

I am writing a device driver which will make use of the physio routine.
As our site does not have a source licence, I only have the description of
physio in the Device Drivers manual and an object module disassembly to go
on.  It seems that the B_BUSY buffer flag is set in the section marked
"more buffer I/O set up" in the manual description.  Shouldn't this be set
while the processor priority is raised, after the sleep on the buffer's
address?

Forgive me if I'm way off the mark.

Mark James                      ACSNET : mrj@basser.cs.su.oz.au
Dept. of Computer Science       ARPANET: mrj%basser.cs.su.oz.au@uunet.uu.net
Sydney Uni. NSW 2006            UUCP   : ...!munnari!basser.oz!mrj
AUSTRALIA                       PHONE  : +61-2-692-4502

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 17:44 EDT
From:    JERAGER@AMHERST.BITNET
Subject: disk drive / controller questions

Sun-Spotters:

I have a 3/160 with a Xylogics 451 controller and the sun 280M drive (with
the tape combined). I am trying to get enough information to make an
intelligent decision about increasing the amount of disk memory.  I would
like to add either a Fujitsu M2361 or a Fujitsu M2382 drive.  I am having
difficulty getting straight answers to the following:

1. Can I add the smaller M2361 to the current controller, which would then
be running two drives (responses from people actually doing this would be
appreciated). [I think the answer to this is yes.]

2. Can I remove the current drive entirely, and run an M2361 on the 451?
[Again, I think the answer is yes.]

3. Can I remove the current drive and run the gigabyte drive (M2382) on
the Xylogics 451 (my Fujitsu distributor says yes, my Sun user friends
seem skeptical. Again, is anyone doing this?)

4. Can I add the gigabyte drive to the current controller, running it
along with the 280M drive? [Again, some people seem to say yes, others
maybe. Is anyone doing this?]

5. Lastly, could someone send me the location or phone number of Xylogics.

Oh, yes, I am currently running SunOS 3.4.

Advice from friends, calls from dealers, etc. are all welcome.

jerager@amherst.bitnet
(I can also be reached indirectly at ragerj@eecs.nwu.edu)
(413) 542-5810

Thank you
John Rager

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 08:19:37 EDT
From:    hoover@tweety.drc.cmu.edu (Steve Hoover)
Subject: GNUPLOT, where's the source??

The sun-spots archives have a diff file to run gnuplot on Sun's.  But not
the source to which these diff's apply.  Does anybody know where the
source for gnuplot is??  I've looked on prep.ai.mit.edu, the GNU software
distribution machine, but it's not there.  Is gnuplot not really GNU
software???

Thanks,

Steve Hoover
hoover@tweety.drc.cmu.edu
Dept. of Mech. Engr.
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412) 268-8850

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 13:22:59 PDT
From:    sytek!syteka!sridhar@hplabs.hp.com (Sridhar Acharya)
Subject: Follow up question on Bigger Icons?

Thanks for all those who responded for my earlier question about bigger
icons. I was able to create bigger icons.

I had a follow up question on it. Is there a tool which takes the bitmaps
created out of the iconedit, and forms icons of dimensions 128x64 (Width X
Height)?. I could easily produce icons of width -64 pixels and any height
by concatenating the two images and increasing the height, but found it
too painful to put together two icons side by side.

Thanks
Sridhar Acharya
sun!sytek!syteka!sridhar  or hplabs!sytek!syteka!sridhar

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 12:31:59 PDT
From:    kdoshi@crunch.jpl.nasa.gov (Kunjal Doshi)
Subject: Apunix Exabyte Tapedrive?

Does anyone out there have any experience with Apunix Exabyte tapedrive?

I would appreciate any info. Please include the following:
	SunOS (most interested in 4.0), Sun model,
	w/wo Apunix SCSI controller,
	performance,
	satisfaction and price of:
		hardware, software, maintanance, customer support
	and any other relative info.

Please e-mail directly to me. I will summarize if anyone is interested.

-Kunjal Doshi
 kdoshi@robotics.jpl.nasa.gov

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Sep 88 10:07:02 MDT
From:    salt!pepper!gerber@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Gerber)
Subject: raster file translation:  Apollo to Suns?

Does anyone out there have a utility for translating Apollo type uid
bitmap files to Sun pixrect files?  I have some scanned data that I want
to see on a sun 4/110.  Black and white is all that is required.

Andrew S. Gerber          | McDonnell Douglas Communication Industry Systems
uunet!salt!gerber         | 5299 DTC Blvd, Englewood, CO 80111
salt!gerber@uunet.uu.net  | (303) 220 6231

End of SUN-Spots Digest