[comp.sys.sun] SunOS 3.2 tip problems

dana@gmu90x.gmu.edu (J Dana Eckart) (11/23/88)

I have a Sun 2 running SunOS 3.2, my problem is that tip leaves a
LCK..cua0 file in /usr/spool/uucp after "normal" users finishing
"tip"ping. If root runs tip, however, the offending file is removed
automatically.  I also have the problem that tip won't disconnect when the
other modem drops the connection.

In looking at my 4.3bsd manuals (SMM12-11), I find that these were
apparently bugs in 4.2bsd (and thus I assume made it into SunOS 3.2).
What is the recommended way to patch these two problems?  I suppose the
first could be fixed with a simple shell script that called the real tip
and then removed the LCK..cua0 after it was done (I only have one dial-out
line).  The second is more annoying than anything else (this is a personal
machine).  However, it would be nice to get things set "right" if that is
possible.  Can anyone help me?

Thanks in advance.

J Dana Eckart         UUCP: ...!(gatech | pyrdc)!gmu90x!dana
                            ...!pyrdc!nowhere!dana
                  INTERNET: dana@gmu90x.gmu.edu
                     SNAIL: P.O. Box 236/Fairfax, VA  22030-0236

poage@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Tom Poage) (12/04/88)

J Dana Eckart writes:

>I have a Sun 2 running SunOS 3.2, my problem is that tip leaves a
>LCK..cua0 file in /usr/spool/uucp after "normal" users finishing
>"tip"ping. If root runs tip, however, the offending file is removed
>automatically.  I also have the problem that tip won't disconnect when the
>other modem drops the connection.

Try this,

Problem:	Normal user uses tip(1).  Tip leaves lockfile LCK..*
		in /usr/spool/uucp.  Lockfile does *not* go away.
		However, lockfile *does* go away for root and uucp.

Solution:	1) Make new group uucp in /etc/group.
			uucp:*:4:user,user, . . .
		2) Chown uucp.uucp /usr/bin/tip
		3) Chmod 04750 /usr/bin/tip
		4) Chown -R uucp.uucp /usr/spool/uucp
		5) Chmod 0775 /usr/spool/uucp

The lockfile goes away when it's supposed to, security isn't too bad(?),
and those not in the uucp group can't access tip.

Tom Poage, UCDMC Clinical Engineering, Sacto., CA
ucdavis.ucdavis.edu!sunny!{poage,root,postmaster,news}
ucbvax!ucdavis!sunny!{poage,root,postmaster,news}

jc@athena.lle.rochester.edu (Carolyn Wasikowski) (12/04/88)

I had had the same problem on my Sun2 running 3.4.  The quick-and- dirty
fix was to give the world 'rwx' permissions for the directory
/usr/spool/uucp.  It seems that although tip creates the lock file as root
(or, in my case, as uucp), it deletes it as the actual user.  Of course,
changing the directory's permissions gives everyone the ability to create
files in /usr/spool/uucp, but they still can't delete anything.

>I also have the problem that tip won't disconnect when the
>other modem drops the connection.

I can't help you here.

>What is the recommended way to patch these two problems?

If you can find a better solution, I'd like to hear about it.

jc@lle.rochester.edu  -or-  {allegra|seismo}!rochester!ur-laser!jc
image analysis lab sys admin, lab for laser energetics, u of r, ny