[net.news.group] Topology, connectivity, and garbage

greid@adobe.UUCP (Glenn Reid) (10/31/85)

The NET:  The net relies on UUCP links.  UUCP links rely on phone lines
and the existence of special software on each end to transfer information.
These phone lines and UUCP links have existed a lot longer than USENET.
Many of them are long-distance and were set up to facilitate the exchange
of useful technical information among computer students and professionals.
Somebody thought of "newsgroups", and discovered that the UUCP transport
system could be used to distribute such text in a manner similar to
electronic mail, but using the "chain-mail" approach to distribution.

News works great.  The problem is that its life blood depends upon the
existence of UUCP links which are very likely established for entirely
different reasons, and which may become newsfeeds as a matter of courtesy.

The problem now is that too much news and not enough technical information
is passing along some of these links, and something needs to be done about
it.  Some of the newsgroups are arguably technical, but the entire system
is arguably distinct from the mail system and the "raison d'existence" of
many of the UUCP links.  However, it is handy to have news and mail travel
the same paths, for many many reasons.

I think that a completely separate connectivity should be gradually built
for the USENET news system, with minimal centralized control, in such a
way that the all-or-nothing scenario which is cropping up is not a problem.

There is no reason to destroy net.anything other than for the sake of
phone bills, and most of the problem with that is historical.  We should
work to improve that.

Another thought:  have an "option" to news that allows a site to turn
off a newsgroup with the following behavior:  Any article posted to it
that hits that site will be returned to the sender informing him that
the news got no farther than that particular site.  That should discourage
people from posting the value of pi.  Or any article > n bytes.  Or
whatever.  Let's have a few constructive ideas, people.  All I see in
this group is one of the following arguments:

1)	The net is not free and there are a few great guys doing a great
	job and I support them 100%.

2)	The net and the whole world are free and egalitarian and I happen
	to like net.movies and I think I may just ignore that rmgroup and
	I pay very few phonebills, myself.

3)	I have a great idea about how to reconnect everybody's computers
	that will make all this a moot point. :-)

Glenn Reid
  decwrl!adobe!greid
--
You have new mail.

wls@astrovax.UUCP (William L. Sebok) (11/02/85)

In article <787@adobe.UUCP> greid@adobe.UUCP (Glenn Reid) writes:
>Another thought:  have an "option" to news that allows a site to turn
>off a newsgroup with the following behavior:  Any article posted to it
>that hits that site will be returned to the sender informing him that
>the news got no farther than that particular site.  That should discourage
>people from posting the value of pi.  Or any article > n bytes.  Or
>whatever.

This cure would be worse than the disease.  I can envision a flood of such
returned articles overwhelming the mail links.  If the article is mailed back
along the arrival path then a site that does this article returning has just
doubled the cost of the article to all of the intermediate sites.  If instead
the article is mailed along an optimized path: the average mail link tends to
be more expensive than the average news link (which is more often local), and
the article returning site has just flooded some expensive mail links with news
articles.
--
Bill Sebok			Princeton University, Astrophysics
{allegra,akgua,cbosgd,decvax,ihnp4,noao,philabs,princeton,vax135}!astrovax!wls

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (11/02/85)

In article <787@adobe.UUCP>, greid@adobe.UUCP (Glenn Reid) writes:
> I think that a completely separate connectivity should be gradually built
> for the USENET news system, with minimal centralized control, in such a
> way that the all-or-nothing scenario which is cropping up is not a problem.

It would help.  I'm not sure this isn't being done already.
But if backbones are bitching about paying the feed for some groups,
they should only feed those groups to "free" sites (ie, local or
dedicated lines) and let their long-distance connections find
another path to get net.flame.all.  Eventually, only the people
who want to pay the bill would be paying for it.

> Let's have a few constructive ideas, people.  All I see in
> this group is one of the following arguments:
> 1)	The net is not free and there are a few great guys doing a great
> 	job and I support them 100%.
> 2)	The net and the whole world are free and egalitarian and I happen
> 	to like net.movies and I think I may just ignore that rmgroup and
> 	I pay very few phonebills, myself.
> Glenn Reid

Amen.  It seems that there's no meeting of the minds between the
net-anarchists and net-gods, so it makes it difficult for net-moderates
to reach a consensus.  As a result, each do what they want to do
and the rest of us suffer.

	Joel West	 CACI, Inc. Federal
	{cbosgd,ihnp4,pyramid,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}	!gould9!joel
	{sun!suntan,decvax!sdcsvax}
	gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA

The ultimate form of recent anarchy was cancelling someone else's posting!

ron@brl-sem.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (11/03/85)

> Another thought:  have an "option" to news that allows a site to turn
> off a newsgroup with the following behavior:  Any article posted to it
> that hits that site will be returned to the sender informing him that
> the news got no farther than that particular site.

No, no, no, no.  It's bad enough that I get letters from idiot ARPANET
sites that don't obey their own protocols and manage to mail me failed
mail because some user's mailbox was over quota.  I don't need a shit
load of "your mail has been blocked" messages from everyone who installs
a restrictive forwarder.  I have no control on where my message gets
distributed.  Ideally now, it goes anywhere, but restrictions on
distribution should be handled silently as they are now.

> people from posting the value of pi.  Or any article > n bytes.  Or
> whatever.  Let's have a few constructive ideas, people.  All I see in
> this group is one of the following arguments:

To really screen lists appropriately, you're going to have to moderate
them.  You'll have to balance these advantages with the problems of a
moderated list.

-Ron

In article <173@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:

>It would help.  I'm not sure this isn't being done already.
>But if backbones are bitching about paying the feed for some groups,
>they should only feed those groups to "free" sites (ie, local or
>dedicated lines) and let their long-distance connections find
>another path to get net.flame.all.  Eventually, only the people
>who want to pay the bill would be paying for it.

	Actually this can be carried further, after all "local areras"
*overlap*, so it should be possible to develope a chain of local, or
at least low-cost zone, calls all the way across the country. Then
there would be little need for the expensive long distance calls at
all! Perhaps the European system of having the *recieving* site pay for
the news if it is sent over a long distance feed would be good.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

ARPA: ttidca!psivax!friesen@rand-unix.arpa

herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) (11/09/85)

In article <830@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>	Actually this can be carried further, after all "local areras"
>*overlap*, so it should be possible to develope a chain of local, or
>at least low-cost zone, calls all the way across the country.

is the added propogation delay worth it?  remember that the primary
reason for the backbone sites is the reduce the propogation delay
as well as to ensure that a large group of sites have a decent chance
of getting ALL news.

Herb Chong...

I'm still user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

VNET,BITNET,NETNORTH,EARN: HERBIE AT YKTVMH
UUCP:  {allegra|cbosgd|cmcl2|decvax|ihnp4|seismo}!philabs!polaris!herbie
CSNET: herbie.yktvmh@ibm-sj.csnet
ARPA:  herbie.yktvmh.ibm-sj.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
DISCLAIMER:  what you just read was produced by pouring lukewarm
tea for 42 seconds onto 9 people chained to 6 Ouiji boards.

In article <260@polaris.UUCP> herbie@polaris.UUCP (Herb Chong) writes:
>In article <830@psivax.UUCP> friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>>	Actually this can be carried further, after all "local areras"
>>*overlap*, so it should be possible to develope a chain of local, or
>>at least low-cost zone, calls all the way across the country.
>
>is the added propogation delay worth it?  remember that the primary
>reason for the backbone sites is the reduce the propogation delay
>as well as to ensure that a large group of sites have a decent chance
>of getting ALL news.

	Yes, or at least a slight increase in propagation delay would
be worth it if it ameliorated the net transmission costs. Actually,
just a careful analysis of long distance links to eliminate
unnecessary ones(like multiple links into the same aerea), and to find
two or three step paths that are cheaper per site would be a big
help.
	Other good suggestions include having the *recieving* site
make the long distance call, not the sending site, and I saw an
article about a new type of network link based on radio communication.
	All I am saying is there aught to be a way to *optimize* the
net news transmission to minimize cost, and that *would* be worth an
increased propagation delay.