[comp.sys.sun] SUG SEX: a quiet moment afterwards

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) (12/12/88)

Cigarette?

Well, SEX [[ that's Software EXchange for those of you who came in late
--wnl ]] was a success and a failure.  On the positive side, a lot of
people (I would say well over 100) were able to make tapes.  On the
negative side, my tapetools were inadequate for the task, and I would bet
that some people who wanted to make tapes couldn't.

There was about 20 Mbytes of stuff available, and also X11, release 3.
Most of the Sun-Spots archive was there, and 8 megs of NeWS software.

Many, many, many thanks to Dave Thomas, Dale Yoakom, and Thomas
McLaughlin, who provided me with a Sun-4 and shoebox on the spur of the
moment.  Without there help, SEX would not have happened.  Everyone who
got a tape made should know that without the help of these people, nothing
would have happened.  Their support on such short notice was fantastic.

Well, I'm already looking at SUG-SEX '89, and would like some feedback
from '88 participants.  Should we do it again?  What would make it better?
I have some ideas, but I'll wait to see what others think.

[[ Hey, Chuck?  Was it as good for you as it was for me?  Sorry, couldn't
resist!  --wnl ]]

Chuck Musciano
Advanced Technology Department
Harris Corporation
(407) 727-6131
ARPA: chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com

bob@cis.ohio-state.edu (Bob Sutterfield) (12/20/88)

chuck@trantor.harris-atd.com (Chuck Musciano) writes:
>Well, I'm already looking at SUG-SEX '89, and would like some
>feedback from '88 participants.
>
>Should we do it again?

Yes! by all means.

>What would make it better?

Wonderful as it was for the nice folks to provide you with a machine with
a shoebox and a tape drive on the spur of the moment, the resources simply
weren't adequate to the demand.  It needs more concurrent tapetools, more
tape drives, and more disk space.  In other words, several machines
sharing NFS with each other.  What a remarkable idea for Sun users!

The SEX machine should be attached to the rest of the floor network.
Perhaps vendors in booths would provide tape drives on their demo
machines.  You could walk up with a tape and while it's grinding, they
would have you captive to listen to a sales talk :-)