[comp.sys.sun] Poor 800-number response

lyons@rutgers.edu (Marty Lyons) (11/29/88)

Thought you folks at Sun should know (are you listening?) that because the
response of your 800 service number is so horrendous, I am now
recommending Apollo workstations.  Typically, it has taken between 4 and 7
days to get any type of answer, sometimes to just be called back.  This is
absurd considering I can get help within an hour from virtually any other
vendor.

Sun is at our site at the moment, giving a sales presentation.  They are
more concerned with selling more hardware than helping us fix our current
problems.  It seems Sun should get their priorities straight, and remember
who the customer is.  It's beginning to look like Sun is taking IBM's
attitude of "We're the best, so what we say goes."

I know other sites have similar complaints.  The question is, are you
listening Sun ?

---
Marty Lyons, Lockheed Electronics Company, 1501 U.S. Highway 22,
CS #1, M/S 147, Plainfield, N.J. 07061-1501 (201) 757-1600 x3156
LYONS@LECGWY.LEC.LOCKHEED.COM or LYONS%LECGWY.UUCP@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM

mdb@silvlis.com (Mark D. Baushke) (12/12/88)

lecgwy!lyons@rutgers.edu (Marty Lyons):
>  Thought you folks at Sun should know (are you listening?) that because the
>  response of your 800 service number is so horrendous, I am now
>  recommending Apollo workstations....

With all of the horror stories about time to get a response from the 800
number going around, I thought I should relate a success...

I had no problems using the 800 service number this week. I called for
hardware service and the call was returned in less than two hours.

This is the first occasion I have had to call for hardware service in
quite a while.

I do not usually use the 800 service number for software problems (mailing
to hotline@sun.com or sun!hotline with a long detailed explaination of the
problem is usually easier for me than trying to describe it over the
telephone), but I usually have gotten responses within a couple of working
days to e-mail messages.

I suspect that they (sun 800 service) were swamped after release of SunOS
4.0 and are only now starting to recover.

The response time to my hardware problem (a shoebox drive died and was
replaced) gives me hope that maybe they are over the hump.

Mark D. Baushke                 Internet:    mdb%silvlis.com@sun.com
Silvar-Lisco, Inc.              Nameservers: mdb@silvlis.com
1080 Marsh Road                 Usenet:      {pyramid,sun}!silvlis!mdb
Menlo Park, CA 94025-1053       Telephone:   +1 415 853-6411 / +1 415 969-8328

banderso@uunet.uu.net (Bruce Anderson) (12/12/88)

lecgwy!lyons@rutgers.edu (Marty Lyons) writes:
>Sun is at our site at the moment, giving a sales presentation.  They are
>more concerned with selling more hardware than helping us fix our current
>problems....

What can you expect from a company that is so greedy that they charge you
$400 for a set of manuals and then don't include any three ring binders to
put them in. (If you want binders, they'll sell them to you - only $50 for
6 each 1" binders, more if you want larger ones. What a deal!)
---
Bruce Anderson, Scientific Atlanta - Government Products Division
...!ncr-sd!sagpd1!banderso

aad@uunet.uu.net (Anthony A. Datri) (12/21/88)

I made a call about two weeks ago ona 2/50 cpu board, and was told at the
time that their hardware was broken.  I finally got the board yesterday(!).

Anthony A. Datri @SysAdmin(Stepstone Corporation) aad@stepstone.com stpstn!aad

BYKAT@UTCVM.BITNET (Dr. A.Bykat) (12/22/88)

("Mark D. Baushke" <mdb@silvlis.com>) :
>With all of the horror stories about time to get a response from the 800
>number going around, I thought I should relate a success...

For us, the hardware service response was very good right from the word go
(Sept 88). However, the software 800 service was and is atrocious.  No
response after two weeks, next day response after a call to the service
supervisor, followed by dead silence for the next couple of weeks. Then a
fifteen minute of activity, followed by "we don't care silence till now!!!
And, to add an insult to an injury, the only response that we've got was
incorrect!