[comp.sys.sun] Posting events to windows of other processes?

dean@ho7cad.ATT.COM (D.JONES) (12/21/88)

Hi there all you SUN geniuses,

HELP!!!  I need to do something a bit Bizarre,  but none the less the
Upper Mgmt. wants it.  I need to ``duplicate'' the windows of our CAD
package on the console of another workstation. It looks as if the easiest
approach is to run the software on both workstations, and transmit events
across a network ( TCP/IP ) to the other workstation, where they get read
by an ``event reader'' and posted to the window of the running program. I
have most of it in place,  but how do I make the ``event reader process''
post events to the window of the ``CAD process'' ???

A bit of helpful info:   We are using Sun 3's w/ Sunview 1.2.    Any help
would be appreciated. ( Even if you think it's a looooney idea )

	Dean S Jones
	AT&T Bell Labs
	HO 1K-425
	(201) 949-4256

	dean@homxb.ATT.COM
	dean@ho7cad.ATT.COM

sokolov%media-lab.media.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu (Michael Sokolov) (01/03/89)

In article <414@ho7cad.ATT.COM> dean@ho7cad.ATT.COM (D.JONES) writes:
>HELP!!!  I need to do something a bit Bizarre,  but none the less the
>Upper Mgmt. wants it.

I, too would like to know how to pass Sunview events between processes:
nothing in the Sunview documentation seems to support this.  It seems to
me that the easiest workaround for you would be to add a "slave" mode to
your CAD program, in which the program listens on a network socket for
events and then posts them to itself via notify_post_event; basically
incorporate thee "event reader" into the same process... YUK!

-MS