[comp.sys.sun] Request for WORM drive information

barad@decwrl.dec.com (Herb Barad) (12/21/88)

We are in the market for a WORM drive for our Sun 3's.  Our budget is
limited, so we are considering a 800 MByte drive instead of the higher
capacity 2 GBytes drives.

I talked to a guy from Laser Optical Technology (Santa Cruz) and he quoted
a price of $3,995 (educational price).  He also said that cartridges are
about $250/ea.

Do these prices sound reasonable?  Does anyone know of any better deals?
Any help would be appreciated.  If I get enough responses, I'll post a
summary.  Thanks!

Herb Barad	Electrical Engineering Dept., Tulane Univ.
INTERNET:	barad@ee.tulane.edu
USENET:		barad@bourbon.uucp

news@uunet.uu.net (news) (01/04/89)

rex!barad@decwrl.dec.com (Herb Barad) writes:
> We are in the market for a WORM drive for our Sun 3's.  Our budget is
> limited, so we are considering a 800 MByte drive
>
> I talked to a guy from Laser Optical Technology (Santa Cruz) and he quoted
> a price of $3,995 (educational price).  He also said that cartridges are
> about $250/ea.

When I was shopping for an optical disk for the Sun, I wanted one that
caches to magnetic disk and that looked to the user like a disk, and not a
tape....  I ended up buying the Maxtor QT-800 with software from a company
in Virginia called ATS (Advanced Technology Systems), POC Dan Madish....
All together I paid almost $10,000 (drive, software, cables, 1 media, and
VME SCSI controller)...    The cost of the drive was about half of the
total....     I bought more dual-sided media directly from a distributor
for $125 GSA (government) price...  The system works well (so far)....
ATS uses the same software to drive all sorts of optical disks, including
the Sony Jukebox....

I hope this helps....
Brian