[comp.sys.sun] Floating licenses - Publisher vs. Framemaker

ho@tis-w.arpa (Hilarie K. Orman) (01/05/89)

Mike Carter writes:

>bernhold@orange.qtp.ufl.edu (David E. Bernholdt) writes:
>>I do not know what the Publisher costs, but we have it licensed for half
>>of our 60 workstations - we tend to have a lot of people writing papers.
>>This sounds pretty much like Frame's license server to me.
>      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>I couldn't let this one go by!  ...

I can't either.  Last year when trying to decide whether to buy Framemaker
or Publisher, I explained the Arbortext floating license concept to my
Framemaker sales rep, who said that something like that might happen in
the future for Framemaker, but the quotes we got were all for one copy per
node.  As far as I know, the Arbortext people invented the floating
license.  That's the way we run Publisher here.

Hilarie K. Orman (ho@la.tis.com, ...trwrb!aero!trusted!ho)
Trusted Information Systems, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA