[comp.sys.sun] Elm on SunOS 4.0

ctw%CNS.UMIST.AC.UK@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Colin Walls) (12/23/88)

We have just mounted Elm 2.1 on our 3/280 without too many problems.  We
did not have the initial release, we took it at patch level 1.  Apart from
having to modify the ttymode clear bits to remove CRMOD everything seems
to work well.

	Colin Walls

Janet:  Colin@uk.ac.umist
DARPA:  Colin@umist.ac.uk
Uucp:   ukc!umist.ac.uk!Colin

Tel: 061-236-3311 x 2626
International: +44-61-236-3311 x 2626

prc@uunet.uu.net (Robert Claeson) (12/30/88)

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
> We have installed the 'elm' mail package on our Sun 3/260 running SunOS
> 4.0.  It works, but we have had a number of irritating quirks.  For
> instance, when we try to run it on a vt52 terminal, we get this message:
>
> Emergency Exit taken!  All temp files intact!
> Seqment Violation signal!

I've seen that before in all ELM's from 1.5 up to the current 2.1 PL1, and
on other UNIX'es than SunOS as well. It appears that if ELM can't find all
terminal attributes it needs, then it spits out this message and
terminates (a little drastic, though).

For example, I get this message if I use TERM=ansi (no attributes, for
example), but if I set TERM to vt100, ELM works nicely.

[[ Sounds to me like someone didn't check to see if termcap's tgetstr
returned NULL!  --wnl ]]

--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
"No problems." -- Alf

mark@uunet.uu.net (Mark Lawrence) (12/31/88)

david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) wrote:
} We have installed the 'elm' mail package on our Sun 3/260 running SunOS
} 4.0....when we try to run it on a vt52 terminal, we get this message:
}
} Emergency Exit taken!  All temp files intact!
} Seqment Violation signal!

Try defining so and se in your termcap (thus so=:se=:).  If you want to
see what elm is trying to standout you can so={:se=}:.  Elm seems to want
to puke if these are not defined for a terminal.

Mark

syd@pacbell.pacbell.com (Syd Weinstein) (01/07/89)

mcvax!maxim.ERBE.SE!prc@uunet.uu.net (Robert Claeson) writes:
:david@wubios.wustl.edu (David J. Camp) writes:
:> We have installed the 'elm' mail package on our Sun 3/260 running SunOS
:> 4.0.  It works, but we have had a number of irritating quirks.  For
:> instance, when we try to run it on a vt52 terminal, we get this message:
:>
:
:I've seen that before in all ELM's from 1.5 up to the current 2.1 PL1, and
:on other UNIX'es than SunOS as well. It appears that if ELM can't find all
:terminal attributes it needs, then it spits out this message and
:terminates...
:[[ Sounds to me like someone didn't check to see if termcap's tgetstr
:returned NULL!  --wnl ]]

Ok world, as the Elm coordinator, let me set a few things straight.  1.
Elm 2.1 PL1 is simply a get it out version of V2.  Yes, your editor is
right, Dave never checked the reply from tgetstr.  It has long since been
fixed for the next version (2.2) which will be out end of 1st quarter 89.

2.  Elm is controlled from a Sun 386i running 4.0 and now 4.0.1 so we
usually get the Sun specific stuff close to right, albiet sometimes it
takes beating me over the head to under stand the Sun, I am new to the Sun
world, cut my Unix teeth on V6 and traveled the AT&T route on ports from
there.  The Sun is my first time with a BSD version.

3.  Please send all problem reports, corrections, suggestions to me.  If
the Elm group doesn't hear about it, we cannot fix it.  I don't always
respond to all my mail, but I do try to send ack's to messages.

4.  Does this belong in comp.sys.sun or comp.mail.elm?  The problems might
belong to more than Sun versions.  (And in this case it does.)

Datacomp Systems, Inc.				Voice: (215) 947-9900
{allegra,bellcore,bpa,vu-vlsi}!dsinc!syd	FAX:   (215) 938-0235