[comp.sys.sun] Serial Board for 386i

geek%media-lab.media.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu (Chris Schmandt) (01/11/89)

In article <4414@cs.utexas.edu> srinivas@cs.utexas.edu (Srini Sankaran) writes:
>If you have used or heard about any serial port card for Sun 386i, would
>you mind letting me know about it?

First:  under 4.0.1, some number of standard PC serial cards are
supported.  I'm not sure how, as I just got 4.0.1., but if you take a look
at the rc.local file on a 4.0.1 system you'll see a couple of lines at the
end to configure the card; I forget whether the default is in or out and
don't have a 4.0.1 system handy at the moment.  This is at least a hint
for you!

Second:  when I asked a friend at Sun that question a couple of months ago
this was the reply I got:
__________

SERIAL PORT CARDS

Q.  What is the status of multi-port serial cards?

A.  The Harris Multiport serial card solution is now available for the
Sun386i.  The Harris Contact Person is Bill Burke at (404) 329-8029.

The numbers are:

            8 Ports x 9600 baud  (all 8 ports will support 9600 baud
                                 simultaneously), plugs into AT bus.

Hardware is all standard AT hardware  (ie, no new chips).  Has been tested
with VT-100s, Wyse terminals and printers simultaneously.

No modems tested yet.

A 16 port version will be available "soon".

There are also three other companies working on AT Boards for additional
serial lines on the Sun386i.  They are Digiboard,            Bell Tech.
and ComTrol.

If you get anything working, please post the details back to the list.  PC
compatible single port serial cards are about $50 mail order.

chris