[comp.sys.sun] Keyboard cables too short

sokolov%media-lab.media.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu (Michael Sokolov) (01/03/89)

My lab has a 3/160 and a 3/260 and some image processing hardware which is
the heart of our operation. Unfortunately it makes a lot of noise and
would live very happily in the machine room next door except for the
length of the Sun-supplied keyboard cables. Now I have heard conflicting
things about this: apparently there is someone selling extenders for
approximately $5-600. My question is: has anyone tried just sticking a
longer 15-pin cable between machine and keyboard? Without any fancy
repeaters. Did it work? How long was the cable. I'd like to go 100 feet or
so. Thanks,

	Mike Sokolov

leres@helios.ee.lbl.gov (Craig Leres) (01/11/89)

> My question is: has anyone tried just sticking a longer 15-pin cable
> between machine and keyboard?...I'd like to go 100 feet or so.

I don't know about 100 feet, but I've extended the keyboard on my 3/260 by
2 meters using ribon cable and crimp-on connectors.

	Craig

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (01/12/89)

mit-amt!sokolov%media-lab.media.mit.edu@eddie.mit.edu (Michael Sokolov) writes:
>approximately $5-600. My question is: has anyone tried just sticking a
>longer 15-pin cable between machine and keyboard? Without any fancy
>repeaters. Did it work? How long was the cable. I'd like to go 100 feet or
>so. Thanks,

I've seen 2/120's with extended keyboard and mouse by just using normal
rj11 straight-through extension cables.  Probably cheaper than doing the
15 pin, although I've not seen runs that long made -- ours are more like
20 feet.

faunt@cisco.com (Doug Faunt) (01/18/89)

We're running a SUN-2 monitor and keyboard at 70 feet using three sheilded
pairs in a cable, one for the keyboard and mouse and another for the
video.  The monitor and video board are ECL which was necessary for that
long a run, but the mouse and keyboard are TTL levels.  If you want to
build your own "amplifier" it'd just require a +5 volt supply at the
KB/mouse end and a non-inverting line driver IC.