[comp.sys.sun] experiences with SunOS4.0.1

bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham) (12/15/88)

We received SunOS4.0.1 on Thursday, 1 December;  I'm in the process of
installing it on a series of various-model Sun3s here.

It basically just a collection of bug fixes for SunOS4.0.  It does not
require a complete re-install of SunOS, but does require taking your
machine down to single-user mode, running the tape and selecting which
fixes you want (no, you cannot simply apply them all, the documentation
says "this is for your protection"), rebuilding your kernal (including
client kernals if you're installing on a server), and rebooting.  One fix
require sinstalling a new disk boot block before you reboot.

In addition to reading the "READ ME FIRST" document that comes along with
the tape, you will almost certainly want to use tar to copy off the README
file on the tape itself and go through that carefully before you start the
actual installation.  It describes exactly what files are changed, and
what each change fixes.

If you run SunOS4.0 you definitely will want to install at least some of
the fixes, especially the ones that fix "interesting" potential security
loopholes.  I'm installing all the fixes on all of our machines here.

Here is a quick overview of most of the fixes for Sun3s:

	assertion failure panics
	some simple automount fixes
	bus eror watchdog resets
	several fixes to dbx
	format [also see note in READ ME FIRST about using this with
		MUNIX or from the miniroot!]
	fpaload
	fix for infinite loops in graph
	kernal crashes with streams NIT and IPC board
	kbdriver fixes fixing kadb
	ldcore fixes [this requires installing new boot block BEFORE reboot]
	fix for using kernals larger than 1MB
	various libc patches
	fix for security problem in login [you want this]
	lwp library linking fixes
	mb/mbugo fixes [kernal stuff]
	mmpeekio [more kernal stuff]
	various useful nfs fixes
	opreg [C float-to-double conversions]
	several rpclockd fixes
	an obscure fix to sa
	sdsci device driver fixes
	lots of serial driver fixes, including some ALM-II fixes
	sky fixes
	sysdiagp fixes
	TARGET fixes
	udpcksum/nfs fix
	uuxqt fix
	winlibs fixes
	ypbind fixes
	yppasswd fixs [security stuff you want]
	yppush

Notable omissions include:

	None of the sendmail, fingerd, etc. patches that were broadcast

	No fixes to ypserv for the problems it has with nameservers,
	timing out, and single-character hosts (we're on our 2nd or
	3rd round of such patches for ypserv from Sun, and it's likely
	that these fixes aren't yet complete).

The only problem I had related to some diskless Sun 3/50s that we were
running non-standard kernal configurations with.  They wouldn't boot
completely after installing SunOS4.0.1 on the server.  Turns out there was
no reason to actually run the unusual kernal configurations, and going
back to an essentially vanilla DL50 configuration gave us kernals that
booted quite nicely.

kim@uunet.uu.net (Kim Kempf) (12/30/88)

We've noticed that the problem with tty xon/xoff flow control being
disabled when a tty is closed is still there.  Tty spoolers must have an
open() hanging on the port or the flow control is gone when the last job
is printed.  Also various "bus error" panics related to tar -f /dev/rst8
seem to occur quite regularly now and didn't before.  Nothing for sure has
been determined yet, but a certain tar dump that we regularly have to do
will panic as follows:

vmunix: tar:
vmunix: trap address 0x8, pid 6679, pc = f06f7e4, sr = 2204, stkfmt b, context 6
vmunix: Bus Error Reg 20<TIMEOUT>
vmunix: data fault address 11131113 faultc 0 faultb 0 dfault 1 rw 1 size 0 fcode 5
vmunix: KERNEL MODE
vmunix: page map 20000000 pmgrp ff
vmunix: D0-D7  2000 2200 5 0 0 f0b9ef8 2000 f0b9ef8
vmunix: A0-A7  11131113 0 f09f59a f09f56e f0b9f48 f0b9f60 ffff9630 ffff9610
vmunix: Begin traceback...fp = ffff9630, sp = ffff9610
vmunix: Called from f06f652, fp=ffff9654, args=f0b9f60 2000 0 0
vmunix: Called from f06ed86, fp=ffff9688, args=1208 0 0 2000
vmunix: Called from f06f200, fp=ffff96b0, args=1208 3 0 0
vmunix: Called from f042322, fp=ffff96d8, args=1208 3 ffff96d4 3
vmunix: Called from f039f76, fp=ffff973c, args=ffff9738 3 f1f5f44 0
vmunix: Called from f038dcc, fp=ffff9768, args=efffc79 0 603 1a4
vmunix: Called from f038d4a, fp=ffff9780, args=efffc79 603 1b6 ffff97b4
vmunix: Called from f064614, fp=ffff97a8, args=ffff9a18 efffc3c 0 0
vmunix: Called from f004768, fp=efffbf8, args=5 2 2d 5
vmunix: End traceback...
vmunix: panic: Bus error
vmunix: syncing file systems... [2] [2] done
vmunix:
vmunix: dumping to vp f0f7ba8, offset 37096
vmunix: 1534 total pages, dump succeeded
vmunix: rebooting...
vmunix: SunOS Release 4.0 (MCRWARE) #8: Tue Dec 6 19:25:25 CST 1988

prl@eiger.uucp (12/31/88)

> From: bob@kahala.hig.hawaii.edu (Bob Cunningham)
> Here is a quick overview of most of the fixes for Sun3s:
> 	yppasswd fixs [security stuff you want]

Just so that you are not taken by surprise, the yppasswd fixes posted with
4.0.1 (RCS version 1.15 of yppasswdd.c) do

		* N O T *

fix the security bug in yppasswdd. NEITHER does the later version which
our local Sun office sent us (RCS version 1.16 of yppasswdd.c) when we
complained about this!

Peter Lamb
uucp:  uunet!mcvax!ethz!prl	eunet: prl@ethz.uucp	Tel:   +411 256 5241
Integrated Systems Laboratory
ETH-Zentrum, 8092 Zurich

zjat02@uunet.uu.net (Jon A. Tankersley) (01/12/89)

According to Sun, don't install the 4.0.1 automount fixes.  It causes
other things to fail.

-tank-

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (01/18/89)

apctrc!zjat02@uunet.uu.net (Jon A. Tankersley) writes:
> According to Sun, don't install the 4.0.1 automount fixes.  It causes
> other things to fail.

Could we have a little more info, please? Bug report number?

Thanks,

jim

--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					 domain: jim@eda.com